Skip to Content

Fuel Advice needed

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
BerkiSA

Re: Petrol...the necessary evil

Unread post by BerkiSA » Sun May 29, 2011 8:30 pm

I regularly rent cars (nissan tiida, opal corsa, polo etc) and drive around the park.

Usually I use around 6L per 100kms and we drice around 200kms per day (a lot!). Petrol is also around 25c more in the park I find.

Hope this helps!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by o-dog » Tue May 31, 2011 11:04 pm

In 2009 Drove a golf chico 1.4L and got amazing consumption out of it...800km per tank of 50 litres.
ie 16km/1litre
In June 2010 drove pajero 3.5litre and got about 12-13km/litre.

As Bush Baptist does, we do many km in the park especially if you have far off destinations you want to see. So in summer often 250-300 km/day.
But my cousins like to take it more easy and do 150km day. I'd take an average of the two and also budget on 200km day.

So would say R150-R200 depending on if you want to drive big areas or not :thumbs_up:
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:23 am

I drive a Honda CR-V and spend pretty much most of the day on the road. That includes lots of stopping at dams and scenic spots. I top up about every third day and it costs about R400. I tend to do a lot of gravel which might also add on a bit of extra usage.

A word of warning, always carry cash for petrol. I have been caught in predicaments when the electricity has failed and my card could not be used. Never go too low on fuel. Again, I have been in situations where a camp has run out of petrol in busy seasons and I have had to get to garages outside the Park. I have also seen many reports of nail biting moments by people caught off guard.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Diesel Prices in Kruger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Fuel prices have always been a bit more expensive in the park. It is just skewed, and more noticeable, now that fuel is more than 10 bucks a litre.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Weltenman
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Weltenman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:15 am

Could the extra cost not be down to the contract with SANParks and the fees involved that needs to be paid for the rights to the petrol stations in the Parks? It has been mentioned that the cost of fuel has always been more expensive in Kruger.
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
Confucius

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:38 am

I believe you are correct there Weltenman .

Also that the petrol price is regulated (fixed) by the government , the diesel price though is not regulated .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Dupacc
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Fuel Advice needed

Unread post by Dupacc » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:33 am

ecojunkie wrote:Low sulphur diesel is now available throughout KNP! .

:clap: :clap: For me this is good news! Many manufacturers nowadays specify 50 ppm Diesel as the only fuel to be used in their newer vehicles.
Dupacc

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

Dupacc
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Re:

Unread post by Dupacc » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:18 pm

ockiev wrote:I drive a Chev Aveo with a 50L tank, City trafic avg 450Km, open road 500 - 550Km and in kruger 700 -750Km. :naughty:

I find this very interesting: my car (Audi A6 3.0 TDi) consumes just about the the same quanitities of fuel in Kruger as in city traffic - about 10l/100km (10km/liter), while on the open road it goes as low as 6l/100km (16.4km/liter). It is thus easily 40% heavier on fuel in Kruger than on the open road.

I guess it has to do with a heavy vehicle stopping and pulling away? And does it mean that a vehicle with a smaller engine or less torque finds it more difficult to cruise on the open road? :hmz: :hmz:

It will be interesting to calculate the actual costs in terms of fuel used by the two vehicles mentioned: with 55 liters I travel the 450 km to KNP from home and have enough left to do another 250-300 km in Kruger. How much will the Aveo use to travel 450 to KNP and then do a day's travel in the park? :roll: :roll: :hmz: :hmz:
Dupacc

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Fuel Advice needed

Unread post by ndloti » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Seems driving habits & patterns decide consumption .
It may be that in the above mentioned case in the KNP the Aveo drives at a more constant speed than the Audi if more stop starting is done consumption may be far higher .
I experience the same pattern as Dupacc, though if I drive a diesel at a constant speed (such as in the Kgalagadi when commuting between the camps & entrance gate at a speed that irons out corrugations) the consumption is very low .
I think turbodiesel engines are generally not as economical as petrol engines in the stop / go mode as the turbo requires some time to spool up and become effective the management system injects extra diesel to overcome this - thus the puff of smoke often seen om pulling away .
The Audi turbodiesel engine is generally far more economical on the open road at cruising speeds than a the Aveo with petrol engine would be.
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Clean Diesel in Kruger Park

Unread post by Son godin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:09 pm

ecojunkie wrote:Yes - they have substituted the supply, and all is now 50ppm diesel.

Ecojunkie is it not petrol you refer to. If they only keep 50 ppm S diesel it means you must pay for the more expensive diesel and do not have the option for the cheaper diesel.

Total South Africa launches Ultra Low Sulphur Petrol (50ppm ULP95)
September, 20 2011 – Total South Africa has launched ultra low sulphur petrol at selected service
stations in Pretoria, KZN, NW Province, Limpopo and Mpumalanga.
The product contains less sulphur (50ppm versus 500ppm). The ultra low sulphur has the Total
Evolution additive, which gives it better performance and efficiency and is better for the environment.
Total South Africa will be offering Total Evolution 50ppm 95 low sulphur petrol at no extra cost
to the motorists. As this is a cleaner product with lower sulphur content, it will enable unleaded
drivers to make a positive contribution to improving the air quality.
Vehicles running on regular unleaded 95 can easily switch to Total Evolution 50ppm 95 low sulphur
petrol without any adjustment or effect on their vehicle’s performance. All cars manufactured after
1986 are compatible with Total Evolution Unleaded.
“As a petroleum company we are continuously being innovative with our product offerings to
ensure we are ever mindful of the environment and give our customers products that will enable
their vehicles to perform better ” said Total South Africa’s Marketing Manager, Reina Cullinan.
Find your nearest Total Service station selling Ultra Low Sulphur petrol and diesel under our News
and on our facebook page www.facebook.com/totalsouthafrica.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:15 am

The pumps themselves are marked, and I checked with attendants. It is diesel - don't know about the petrol side of things as I do not use it!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:38 am

Just to confirm..... I was at BnD last night, and the advertising banner at the garage clearly states 50 Diesel!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

DrPhil

Unread post by DrPhil » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:46 am

This is great news for everyone with a new commonrail diesel engine. But for everyone else including the SANParks trucks and night drive open top vehicles it is terrible. That is if only 50 ppm is available.

Not only is it much more expensive, but it can damage the older engines and trucks. I don't even want to think what Total is asking for a liter as they all ready ripped off all diesel vehicle drivers in the past by asking way more than just outside the park.

The older engines require the sulphur in the diesel to help lubricate the engine and turbo. This is exactly the opposite with the new engines as the tolerances are much tighter on the new engines and the sulphur will damage the engine.

I would suggest that if you drive one of the older diesel engines you should add some 2stroke oil to the 50ppm diesel if you are forced to fill up with it. 200ml oil to every 100Liters. I do it with 500ppm aswell and it is clear that the engine runs much smoother and the fuel consumption is better with the oil added. Just dont do it with the new engines as the 2stroke will increase the sulphur content to much more than 500ppm.

I think this is a good excuse to get a long range tank :tongue:

Just my 2c....
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:49 pm

@Doc Phil. This is the advice I also received. A can of 2 stroke oil every second full tank for the older diesel engines.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

DrPhil

Unread post by DrPhil » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Rooies, I do it on every tank I just buy a few 1L bottles before a long trip and just add it to the tank before it is filled to help it mix properly. You can get a 1L bottle for R50 where you will pay R35 for 200ml at the service station.

I find the engine much quieter and that means less wear. I can put my radio's volume on 6 with 2 stroke and have to put it on 11 without it. :thumbs_up:
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

Return to “Kruger National Park”