Skip to Content

Crocodile Bridge to Satara

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
RussellT

Crocodile Bridge to Satara

Unread post by RussellT » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi,

I will be visiting Kruger and staying at Satara for three days. I have visitors that have never been to the park and would like to show them the lower regions of the park. If I am at Crocodile Bridge when the park entry gate opens, do I have enough time to go in there, take them to Lower Sabie for breakfast, then to Skakuza for brunch and then to Satara?

If so, any suggestions on the best route bearing in mind the drought so we have the best opportunity to see stuff

Thanks
Russell

Elsa

Re: Crocodile Bridge to Satara

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:04 pm

Warm welcome to the forum Russell! :clap:
You don't say when you plan on doing this trip but with those stops in mind and any possible sightings/delays along the way I would not deviate too much but just take the tar road up past Tshokwane and straight onto camp.
Stopping off for meals can eat into your day and leave little time for game viewing.
Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

RussellT

Unread post by RussellT » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:54 pm

Thank you

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:28 am

A warm welcome, Russel. :gflower:

Elsa has given you very good advice. The main roads do offer really good sightings and lots of wonderful stops for a magnificent Kruger experience.

The main road from Lower Sabie to Satara has the magnificent Nkumbe look out. It gives one of the best views of the southern Park. The H10 is known for Cheetah and lion sightings.

There is also Sunset dam that deserves a visit. Well worth it.

If you want a good meal, bekkie at Lower Sabie is not a bad idea. The service is excellent and the view from the deck is Kruger magic.

Instead of the main road between Croc Bridge and Lower Sabie, I would recommend the S28. It is another road known for cheetah sightings. It also has great eco diversity.

Enjoy your stay. I wish you magic moments.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Mischief

Unread post by Mischief » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:48 am

Hi Russel..welcome to the Forum.
Elsa and MM have given you solid advice.Straight up the tar on the H4-2 to Lower Sabie.
From there you have the option of the H4-1 or the dirt Salitjie road S 128.Both of these roads have been very kind to us in the past.
Brunch at Cattle Baron at Skukuza we have always enjoyed.Then hit the tar road to Satara...lovely dams,waterholes along the way and of course Tshokwane where you can get out and stretch your legs etc.We have always seen something of interest on this portion of road..lends itself to being games.

Good luck...all about the right place at the right time.
Have a great time :dance:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:24 am

Agree with the others.

But there are so many options.

You could also enter at Melalane, take the H3 (one of my fave roads in the south), which is usually quite productive with good sightings, to Skukuza, then on to Tshokwane and on to Satara.
Or you could do either the sand or tar road to Lower Sabie, up to Tshokwane and then Satara
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett

RussellT

Unread post by RussellT » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Thanks everyone.

Used to visit the park regularly but no live in the US, was there 5 years ago and before that about 20 years prior. Taking my 28 year old daughter who was there when she was 3 or 4.

Will be there mid September and can't wait.

Hope the drought has not been to devastating.

Would love to see cheetah and lion but think with the long absence will appreciate things I used to take for granted. Going to take her to see the Baobab Tree I remember

Again, thanks for all the advice, just hope the drive is not to far on the 1st day as hopefully we will have some sightings. I know there are other gates but really want to take her to Lower Sabi and and do the drive to Skakuza

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stampajane » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:39 pm

I would skip 2 restaurant meals as they are time consuming. I would breakfast at the Mugg & Bean on Lower Sabie's beautiful deck and then buy a take-away meal for lunch which you can eat along the way either stopping at a picnic stop to stretch your legs or any scenic spot, special sighting or water point along the way.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:53 am

Russell, a first question is whether this will be your first day in the park or your first day in SA, when you may still be affected by jet lag.

To put your plans into some perspective, in April I drove from Crocodile Bridge to Olifants in one day easily. I did not make lengthy meal stops, but I did stop at Tshokwane long enough to purchase a kudu roll (scrumptious) which I later at at a dam (more scenic than Tshokwane IMO). And I did spent quite a long time at several sightings, particularly at least a half hour at a stellar leopard sighting and nearly that long with some dwarf mongoose. I had planned to stick strictly to the tar, but took a slight detour from the very busy (it was a Saturday morning) H4-2 and drove the S130 instead.

I'm sure that you can manage breakfast at Lower Sabie with the lovely view, but Skukuza for lunch seems a bit of a detour, tho I'm sure it's doable if you plan a relatively early lunch. However, I'd rather drive the H10 from LS to Tshokwane. Is there some special reason that you want your daughter to see Skukuza?

Since you're only going as far as Satara, I'm sure that you'll have plenty of time. I had excellent sightings on my trip to Olifants, and while it was a long drive, I never felt rushed, I had enough time to enjoy all my sightings :dance: Plus it was the first time that I've ever seen all of the big five in a single day (I actually saw all before noon, including two excellent rhino sightings :) ). I made a short stop at Satara and had enough time once I was close to Olifants that I could take the S91 and S92 rather than sticking to the tar.

Have a great trip!
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

Return to “Kruger National Park”