Skip to Content

Flying into SKU

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
FlyerGill

Flying into SKU

Unread post by FlyerGill » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:38 pm

We will be flying into Skukuza from Cape Town on December 28th (I know its a long way ahead but there is a big extended family so I'm trying to plan ahead a bit).
Is one side of the plane better for views of the park and camp?
There is very little information about the airport itself, is the car hire there or in the rest camp?

We are planning just one night before heading up to Satara and Mopani.
In the morning can we just turn up at the golf club for breakfast and a round for a few of us or will we need to book?

We have been to Kruger before but this time are taking kids & grandkids. Can we ask at reception for a cot for the littlest or does this need to be booked in advance?
Assuming that the drought is over will it be ok to fill a small blow up paddling pool for the toddlers outside our house?

Thanks,
Gill

Elsa

Re: Flying into SKU

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Welcome to the forum Gill! :clap:

There is car hire at the Skukuza airport and that is where you will pick up your car from.

A lovely topic on the Skukuza Airport with a lot of lovely and useful info!

I would guess it depends on the wind direction as to what flight path the plane will come in from but maybe others who have flown in will be able to advise better on that.

You can certainly just turn up for breakfast at the Golf club
not sure whether one needs to book to play golf but again I rely on golfers of the forum for confirmation.

It might be better to send an e-mail to the camp a week or so before your arrival and tell them you require a cot as I do think they are limited.

As for the paddling pool I think it will also be dependent on how much follow up rain the park receives as to whether this will be allowed or not?

Do ask if there is anything else we can help with. :thumbs_up:

isinkwe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:30 pm

ImageGill

It would be best to call the club and make a booking , there might be a closed competition on the day you arrive.

see here golf
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :D

Did you see this Fun Time

bushguy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bushguy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:33 pm

Gill

I think Isinkwe has answered most of your questions. You will pick up your car at the AP - NOTE (from personal experience) check your car very well and report any faults before heading out. I got charged for a dammaged tow electrical socket thingy that I wasn't even aware the car was fitted with.

Obviously the wind determines the direction . I think comming in from (and out to) the south is most interesting as there are more features to see (Skukuza, renosterkoppies , sabie river, etc) from the south Skukza camp (and railway bridge) will be on the left of the aircraft. Also look out for "crop circles" in the veld to the south (and probably the north) made by Rhino grazing around anthills. Note that they drop and climb quite quickly , so good views are not there for long. It can be bumpy.

Enjoy !

BG
Spring is sprung, Der grass is riz, I wonder where dem boidies is?
Der boids is on der wing,
Ain't dat absoid?
Der wings is on de boid!

FlyerGill

Unread post by FlyerGill » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks all
There are 6 and 2 infants so I've booked 3 x 2 seats at the back so we'll have 3 windows.
I fly light aircraft so am used to bumpy, the others will be too excited to notice.

The crop circles are interesting, I often wonder what the bits of land at the corners are used for.
We haven't been to Skukuza before but were lucky to get a couple of days in a riverfront bungalow in Lower Sabie a couple of Christmases ago from a last minute cancellation. With a big party I think its best to book the first few nights ahead of time though.
We have the Xanatseni guest house for 3 nights over new year which should be fun and a night at Satara on the way. Will the Satara catering be sorted out by then?

Gill

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:42 pm

FlyerGill wrote: Will the Satara catering be sorted out by then?Gill
I should imagine it will be then but of course there are no guarantees!
but you can certainly still get a reasonably good meal there currently.

Return to “Kruger National Park”