Skip to Content

Where to stay for 3 nights in October - north Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
xelas

Where to stay for 3 nights in October - north Kruger

Unread post by xelas » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:46 pm

Hello!

After having fantastic trip to Kgalagadi in February ( http://safaritalk.net/topic/15871-kgala ... tor-awake/ ) we have unexpected opportunity to visit Kruger for about 2 weeks. Shingwedzi (3), Shimuwini (2) and Olifants (3) are already booked. But we have 3 more nights before Shingwedzi.
We will enter Kruger via Punda Maria gate. Where and how long should we stay?
My initial thoughts are 1 night Punda Maria Rest Camp and 2 nights Sirheni Bushveld camp. Our main interest is photography, mainly birds.
Checking on Sanparks, both have availability, same as Bateleur Camp. And I have heard that there is a new cam near Pafuri??

Thanks for all and any info/advice/comment!

Elsa

Re: Where to stay for 3 nights in October - north Kruger

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:59 pm

Have you had a look at the new camp recently opened near Crooks Corner which might interest you Pafuri Border Camp
which is in a wonderful birding area.
Otherwise your itinerary looks good, just like Punda M as well especially with the hide in camp and the amazing Mahonie Loop with its great potential. 8)
Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:01 am

Agree with Elsa on trying Pafuri Border Camp or alternatively, book Punda Maria for all 3 nights. This will give you a chance to explore the Pafuri/Crooks Corner area which is usually rich in birdlife and has many photographic opportunities. Punda also has a short trail within the camp - the Flycatcher trail and this can yield some interesting birds.
Whatever you decide - enjoy!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leaping Lizards » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:31 am

Even though I would choose 1 night Punda and 2 nights Sirheni myself, I think because of your Itiniary with 3 nights booked at Shingwedzi already, maybe you should consider 2 nights Punda and 1 night Sirheni.

Sirheni is a magical camp, but many of the drives around there you can cover in your time at Shingwedzi. However, with 2 nights at Punda, you will be able to explore the far north, Crooks Corner and the fever tree forests etc. (With some motivation, you could do these from Shirheni also)

The North is special, I would not stress over how many nights where or which camps you end up staying in, be it Punda, Sirheni or Pafuri. Whichever combo you decide on, you will no doubt be making a great choice and will have a fantastic time.

Enjoy the planning

PS - a night drive from Punda will give you the best opportunity to get a good photo of a Springhare.
August/September - Sirheni, Letaba, Talamati and Satara :P

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:49 am

3 Nights in Punda. :thumbs_up:
Do a sunset drive there while you are at it.
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

bushguy

Unread post by bushguy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:16 am

I agree , Punda M/Pafuri camp. Tents at PM are awesome, very natural and "in the bush" !

Although the Mpogholo loop is easier from Shireni, it is just as good from Shingwedzi and the bottom section is better done driving North in the early morning.

Enjoy

BG
Spring is sprung, Der grass is riz, I wonder where dem boidies is?
Der boids is on der wing,
Ain't dat absoid?
Der wings is on de boid!

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:27 pm

I think, along with others, 3 nights Punda Maria camp. The camp is quaint and very well-run. You can then drive the Mahonie Loop near the camp one day and another day drive up to Klopperfontein, then Crooks' Corner, have brunch at Pafuri picnic site, drive the Nyala Drive road and then head back to camp.

There are several birds that are only found in that area (if you are lucky!) - Crested Guineafowl, Trumpeter Hornbill, Broad-billed Roller. The trees up at Pafuri and on the Mahonie Loop are wonderful and worth studying.

I agree - do a Sunset or Night drive from the camp. The guides are very knowledgeable and you will, hopefully, see some nocturnal animals.
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

xelas

Unread post by xelas » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:47 pm

Thank You everyone! I have just booked 3 nights at Punda Maria. As tent was available only on 1 of those nights, it is a bungalow
Should I wait with booking the sunset/night game drives till our arrival?

xelas

Unread post by xelas » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:50 pm

Also. I have a Wild Card but it has expired on May. Should I purchase the membership online or at the Punda Maria gate?

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:05 pm

At the gate is fine :thumbs_up:
Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:20 pm

I'd book the drives anyway, to make sure you do not miss out.

I'd also keep an eye on availability for the tent to come up for the nights you are in Punda.
Sawubona
Dalene

xelas

Unread post by xelas » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:57 pm

While I have your attention, where I could check out the average temperatures and humidity by months in that part of Kruger? Both in Etosha and in Kgalagadi we have had no problems with mosquitos. What is to be expected in northern and central part of Kruger end of October?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:12 am

Kruger is a high risk Malaria area and altho it might be slightly less in some seasons we always recommend taking all the precautions you can for safety sake.
Try This Link for some average temps in October but of course it can vary depending on whether the rains have started or not.
Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Throwdown

Unread post by Throwdown » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:33 pm

I'm looking at North too! This will be my 3rd trip to Kruger, 1st was 3 days, last year was 7 days, this year 17.5 days and it is still not enough :lol: I'm flying in Phalaborwa on Oct 8th and will probably spend the night at a B&B as I will need to shop and get rested up after 2 days of flying. then Olifants 2 nights, Satara and the Sweni Trail that's 4 nights, then 5 nights Tamboti which is one of the reasons I'm returning. Then backtracking up to Mopani, 2 nights or ???, then Punda M 2 nights??? Then back to Letaba or Shimuwini for the last night before flying out. I have a problem that every camp or trip report I read, I want to stay there, they all look wonderful. I'm just excited that I can fit the Sweni Trail, Tamboti and Punda Maria in one trip :gflower: any advice on this loopdeloop itinerary? :tongue:

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:51 am

I think your plan or a couple of nights each in Mopani and Punda Maria sound good. I'd spend the last night at Letaba with a good meal in the restaurant as a "good bye treat".

I'll bet your first trip was a "once in a life time" trip? Funny how we get hooked and keep on returning.

Enjoy your stay.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Return to “Kruger National Park”