Travelling Alone in the Park

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
George_Brits
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Re: Travelling Alone in the Park

Unread post by George_Brits » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:29 am

Have a wonderful trip Stark, looking forward to your tripreport :)

s2000ap

Unread post by s2000ap » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:03 am

Only problem I've had traveling alone is that people want to "share" your camp site, they can't seem to get that you've paid just as much as them for a site and want to move their wagon in and dominate the site which you have with your little (baggage limited) tent.
Hope they are just as sharing with their large blocks and spare rooms at home :) :think:

Helol

Unread post by Helol » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:18 pm

As well as Roaneric's fantastic report of her trip into Kruger alone, I also stumbled across this thread.

I admit to having a few 'reservations' the more I think of my trip! Hubby is staying behind, so I thought that as well as visiting Swaziland, I would also drive up to Kruger (I haven't been there since 1976, as a chld!).

Anyway, I have booked 1 night at Skukuza and 2 at L.Sabie, all in the bungalows. I am also staying at Malelane and then Marloth Park. I can't help thinking though of the spiders (!!), and elephants charging me. My fear, is that if an elephants starts approaching from the front, and I try and reverse, then a car could be behind me, and could potentially be blocking my escape. Then what?

I have booked a sunset drive from Skukuza, and then a night drive as well as a morning walk from L.Sabie. Being alone is no problem at all, I enjoy my own company and also like to take photos, so in common with most of the posters on here who travel alone, I am really looking forward to doing exactly what I want to, without having to consider someone else! But, its just this nagging concern about being blocked in by a car if an elephant is close by! Or coming face to face with the biggest spider I've ever seen! :cry: All othe little critters don't bother me at all (mice, rats, etc no problem).

Another thought, is how on earth does one manage to take decent photos from inside the car, if the windows are closed, except to make sure the windows are cleaned spotlessly!

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:24 am

Helol wrote:Another thought, is how on earth does one manage to take decent photos from inside the car, if the windows are closed, except to make sure the windows are cleaned spotlessly!

Why would your windows be closed?!?!? I drive with both front windows open (it helps if they are electric :wink: ) and my camera(s) arranged on the pasenger seat so that I can grab whichever I want quickly. In addition to photography, you want your windows open in order to enjoy the sounds and the smells of the bush. I close my windows only when there are baboons or vervets about -- or perhaps, but only perhaps (it depends on the specific situation), if a predator comes close. So relax, keep your windows open and enjoy your trip!
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
11-29 November RMS St Helena: St Helena & Ascension
29-30 November Cape Town
1 December-21 January Darling

Helol

Unread post by Helol » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:44 am

ah ok thanks Ark, I thought car windows had to be closed. That makes life a little easier then!

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:35 pm

I agree with arks. I have a rule - as soon as we are in the Park, windows down and radio/CD player off. That way you can not only see the bush, but you can hear and smell the bush. The only time I close the windows is if we are stationary or moving slowly near baboons or vervet monkeys - they can jump in the vecicle in a flash and cause a lot of trouble and mess. If lions are walking close to the vehicle, I might half-close the windows, but not completely close them.

Have a great trip Helol - you will love it.
Skukuza 1-4 March 2018 (Cricket weekend!!)
Lower Sabie 4 March 2018
Satara 5-9 March 2018

Return to “Kruger National Park”