Skip to Content

Travelling Alone in the Park

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
bornfree

Unread post by bornfree » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi,
I did my first alone trip in Feb 08 and truly enjoyed every second. I travelled about 20kph and maybe I did miss some things but got to see cheetah, lion,leopard,wild dog,huge elephants(which spook me),beautiful birds big and small,so many rhino I lost count,herds of buffalo,tortoises and terrapins,a puffadder,hyena. On a night drive, genet,serval, lions on a kill. So you see driving alone is not such a bad thing.
I also stopped when I wanted to,drove all day if the mood took me and generally had the time of my life, so much so I'm doing it again in May 08 out of preference.
Enjoy,
Bornfree.
"If I had only one day left in Africa, I would choose to spend it with a pride of lions."
- Gerald Hinde

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 pm

I was in Kruger, alone, 5 weeks in February/March. It was marvelous. Sometime a little bit difficult to have pictures from elephants in the north... not enough time, often I have to "run". You have to also think of close (semi-close) the opposite window if they are big cats around... or leopard or monkeys... Sometime a little bit "sportif" to jump from one seat to the other. We can stay as long as you want at eacht sight, eat when you want... only positive point... for me :wink:
Same for Kgalagadi, last year, but only 2 weeks.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu May 01, 2008 4:31 am

Being alone is a lot easier than being with someone who would rather be elsewhere.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Bogdog

Unread post by Bogdog » Wed May 07, 2008 8:16 pm

What a great forum you guys have here, I thaught I was maybe a bit odd wanting to go on my own but I'm rather happy I'm not the only one, off to spend a few days at tzendse on my ace in a week :wink:
It sure beats working for a living.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Wed May 21, 2008 9:15 am

Being alone in KNP means not having to consider others if :
1) your partner(s) get bored with a quiet viewpoint ,
2) the fire takes too long ,
3) you want to read ,
4) you want to take a nap in the shade ,
5) you change your mind ,
6) you are antisocial and prefer to be alone and experience the tranquility of silence ......
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat May 24, 2008 6:11 pm

I've just returned from 12 days on my own in Kruger.

My observations:
-it attracts Pangolin, yes, I had a Pangolin sighting just like KNP spokesperson. 8)
-it attracts lots of friendly people. I met lovely people at some of the strangest places who were happy to strike up conversation.
-it allows you to be selfish, for a mom, that is just so great.
-no set rising and no set bed times 8) 8) most mornings I was up before the sunrise, but it was lovely to set my own pace..

the one time I felt a bit lonely was late afternoon, just before the sunset. I think that might be our natural nesting time and I just missed the human companionship of sharing the day's happenings.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Woman alone in Kruger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon May 17, 2010 7:00 am

Riwels, a very warm welcome to you :D

I agree with Eco Junkie. I often go alone, camping or using the permanent tents. I love it and have never had a problem.

The only issue I have is pitching my tent, but there are invariably people ready and willing to help. On occasion I have asked for help at reception and they have found someone to "pitch" in.

etienne1

Unread post by etienne1 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi Riwels

it is the best way to experience kruger and yes you will be safe, also the camping community always help each other thats what makes it such an experience. I myself go alone to and enjoy it alot.
:D

Travelstory

Unread post by Travelstory » Tue May 18, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi. I am from the US and have traveled in Kruger alone several times. The only time I got into trouble was with a vervet monkey. They know females are more vulnerable and will/can be more agressive if you are alone. Be careful eating outside when they are around and do not get cocky and shew them off your porch or anything like that. I take a childs water squirt gun as a defence. They hate water.

My other advise is not to stop on the road for strangers; especially further north in the park around Punda Maria. Just be alert as you would anywhere else you are traveling alone. Take the necessary precautions and you will have a wonderful and safe stay.

I like staying in a hut on the perimeter of the camp so I can have my privacy and see the wildlife from my hut. Other than that I have been all over the park and enjoyed every minute alone.

If you click on my name it should take you to my blog and website where I write about my solo Africa travels in Kruger and more.

Dana

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Tue May 18, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm just over twenty :wink: .... and travel alone..., the last one : 3 months in Kgalagadi and Kruger. No problem at all, nor in the South, nor in the North... only few at Lower Sabie with a BIG BABOON :shock:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

painter
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by painter » Sun May 23, 2010 5:27 am

I spent three weeks camping solo last year in November, the first time I had ever gone off on my own anywhere. I can't even begin to explain what a special time that was in my life.
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Mauxie

Unread post by Mauxie » Sun May 23, 2010 8:10 pm

I am also one of you solo ladies and must say how surprised I am to hear how many of us there are. :thumbs_up:

My husband and I can only take leave at different times and can you believe, that he got bored of going to Kruger!!! :huh: He enjoys 4X4ing and I unfortunately, don't. I was sad at first but then made the decision to go alone, rather than never go again. KRUGER IS IN MY BLOOD!!!

I have been travelling to Kruger, from the KZN south coast for about 7 years now. I unfortunately can only get away once a year, so try to make the most out of my KNP trip as I can. I stay for 12 nights (sleeps :wink: ) each trip. I don't camp but stay either in the bungalows or in the Safari tents (when at Lower Sabie).

I must add tho' that the longer I do this on my own, the more I love it :dance: and can't imagine doing it with anyone else again. I go where I want, when I want and for however long I want. This may sound selfish but the rest of my year is dictated to by others (and Im mostly okay with that) so this is why I make my Kruger time, MY time!

I also love my photography and even tho' I'm very average at it and don't have a larny camera , I love it and what better place to take photos than our Kruger.

Having said that... I would love to meet up with anyone, during my trips, just to say "hi", have a chat and to share sightings etc.
KRUGER, my happy place!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BIYAMITI 1st & 2nd OCTOBER
SKUKUZA 3rd & 4th
OLIFANTS 5th
SATARA 6th , 7th & 8th
LOWER SABIE 9th , 10th & 11th
BERG EN DAL 12th

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Travelling Alone in the Park

Unread post by Mfezi » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:06 am

I PREFER to be on my own (staying and travelling) in the KNP. For me that is the best :thumbs_up: .

Tieroog

Unread post by Tieroog » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Just came back from my first "alone-trip" to the Kruger. 8 fantastic days! Cant wait to do it again... ASAP! Hopefully before December when we will be there for another 8 days.

NOW JUST TELL ME: WHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY is Lower Sabie the only camp with one-(wo)man huts?

Come on Sanparks: Think of us prefering to do this on our own, but that are too lazy to do the campig thing and too poor to do the fancy bungalows! PRETTY PLEASE build some more of these huts in the other camps as well. Judging from the availability of these (or rather lack of availability!!!!) these huts are very popular, so it will be a worthwhile investment for the other camps!
Satara: 10 - 22 August

:)

pepperjuice

Unread post by pepperjuice » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:55 pm

I have spend many trips in KNP alone. No problem.

Just pack enough water, whatever you prefer and something to eat if you going to travel less traveled roads. One never knows. But thats my standard anyway as having photography in mind, I never know how long I will be at a sighting.

And me being shellfish now, I dont have to worry about a girlfriend that want to leave a sighting, or one that slept late now alone in camp.

I have met many people, thats the Kruger way. In the evenings it can get lonely, I keep myself busy with editing photos, braaing, and just enjoy the peace and calm of nature.

So no problem.

Just as a matter of interest, if you ever go and visit the Kgalagadi. Nosop and some of the other camps you sigh out in the morning, saying what direction you going. But these are small camps, not like KNP. In the mornings we were about 5 vehicles, and by day 2 I made friends with all of them.

As Elephants, have had a few times in the earlier visits that I was worried. Ask a ranger to point out the signs of a E in musk. Usually if you leave them alone they will just walk by, but try to give them distance.

The biggest problem traveling alone is missing sightings. It is impossible to look both sides. You will just tire yourself out. So accept that. For me taking photos, I concentrate more on the light, shooting into the sun is difficult.

Have a good time, all the singles.

Return to “Kruger National Park”