Skip to Content

Itinerary

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
MeezersUK

Itinerary

Unread post by MeezersUK » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:18 pm

Thanks to all your help I think I have a workable itinerary for next July. We will do 7 nights in Kruger after Cape Town and before St Lucia. Dates 24 July-31July
We will fly CPT to Nelspruit with an overnight in JNB so we can arrive early.Hire a car and drive to Adams Calendar, I've no idea how long this will take but I don't want to rush so will aim to leave Adams Calendar no later than 1.30 pm. Drive to Berg en Dal, stopping for groceries on the way, should get there by 4pm?
2 nights Berg en Dal
Drive to Lower Sabie
2 nights Lower Sabie
Drive to Satara
2 nights Satara
Drive to Biyamiti
1 night Biyamiti

Next day we have to leave to drive through Swaziland to St Lucia, we will overnight in Swazi so we don't have to leave the park too early, maybe mid day, but we do need to be at one of the Southern camps.
Does this look reasonable? Would you rearrange the camps or any alternatives you'd suggest? I plan to phone to book on 1st August, will try for perimeters/ views but know I've got plenty of time to swap about.
Biyamiti sounds perfect but I can't find it on any of the distance/ travel tables. How long would it take to drive Satara to Biyamiti?
I've read that Berg en Dal is a good camp to do a bush walk from and Satara is good for sunset drive, would you agree?
Many thanks.

DinkyBird

Re: Itinerary

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:19 pm

I like your plans! Great camps, and covering a nice amount of the park.

Are you flying CT to Jhb, then driving from there? Do you want to stop on the way?

Google maps shows me Satara to Biyamiti is about 150km - so very doable without any need to rush. (going via Skukuza)

I have done bush walks from various camps and none have been waaaay better than any other camps - it is all about enjoying the early morning in the bush, and the little things you will not see from a car, like spoor etc. You leave camp very early for a bush walk, so just make sure you are not going to be tired from the journey the day before, and then Berg en Dal is a good option.

Satara - great for sunset drive!
Sawubona
Dalene

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Great itinerary MeezersUK! :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

stefan9

Unread post by stefan9 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Looks like a really nice itinerary. Should have lots of fun. :D
31 March - 3 April 2016 Berg n Dal Done
July 2017 Lower Sabie 3 nights and Talamati 3 nights

MeezersUK

Unread post by MeezersUK » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:18 pm

Thanks, good to know I've been paying attention LOL Dinkybird, we will fly CPT to JNB in the evening of our last Cape Town day, stay at the hotel in the airport, then get the first flight out to Nelspruit next morning, so will be heading for Adams Calendar by 9am at latest. It's the only thing DH has asked to do/ see so I'm trying to fit it in without encroaching on our Kruger time :)

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:03 pm

I dont know the road from Nelspruit to Adam's Calendar, and if you like, can try find out more for you, but give yourself extra time as some of those roads are winding and slow. I see google maps gives you an hour from the airport and 2 hours to drive from there to Kruger. Add on an hour to be on the safe side. Also, depending on how many groceries you wish to buy to take into the park, and where you will stop to shop, you need at least an hour - if you are going to do shopping in Nelspruit, allow for traffic to slow you down too.

You should make it by gate closing, but it could be tight, depending on what time you will spend at AC. But if you do have an unforeseen delay on the day, you can arrange a late pass, they wont lock you out the park ;)
Sawubona
Dalene

squirrel81

Unread post by squirrel81 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:25 pm

Dear Meerzers,

to my opinion your plans to drive from Nelspruit to Berg en Dal with the two stops en route will bring you under pressure.
Even if you take the first flight from JB to MQP you will be there at 09.50 h. Than hire the car (be prepared to wait for others in the queque).
Around Adam`s Calendar there are no good roads. There will be a lot of walking to do as well.
Groceries you can buy very nicely in Malelane Super Spar.
From Malelane to Berg en Dal : In July the Parks Gates will close at 17.30 h.
I personnally would cancel Adam`s Calendar, or alternativ stay one more night outside the park, do groceries next morning on the way into the park. - Please check the distances and roads very carefully. Safety is important.

The routing within Kruger is very nice. Biyamiti your last stop in the Park is a beautiful little camp, one of our favourites.

The passport control at the Swazi Border will sometimes take time. We had twice big groups in front of us.
At Sundays and Fridays a lot of people will be on the road as well.
Depending which border gate you take, you must check the closing time. If you hotel is mear or behind Mbabane be prepared to have a lot of traffic (and missing road signs).

I hope you will have a nice time in Kruger and I wish you the best sightings and lots of photos :cam: .

Greetings,
Brigitte

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Have you looked at flying CT to Nelspruit MQP . Save you a night in Jhb. And you can have an early start the next day.
Sawubona
Dalene

MeezersUK

Unread post by MeezersUK » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi all, thanks for the comments. I must admit Adams Calendar is causing me more hassle than the rest of the trip put together :( but I can't drop it, I've promised DH.
The flight I'm looking at from JNB would get into MQP at 7.50am ( the direct flights from Cape Town get in much later) so allowing for an hour to get the hire car we should be on the road by 9am? The AA route planner says 26 minutes airport to Adams Calendar, so if I double it it is still under an hour, so Adams Calendar by 10am? Then of course we have to walk, not sure how far or how fast or if we'll have a guide who may be able to get us closer before we walk, but if I allow 3 hours ( really don't want to be walking any longer than that LOL so leave Adams Calendar 1/1.30pm at latest.2 hours to Berg en Dal, 3 if we stop for groceries ( though we could skip the grocery stop if we are running late) so Berg en Dal by 4.30 pm I forgot to check gate close time for July, my original plan was for August so we now have 30 mins less time, hopefully we'll be ok, as I said I can always cut the grocery stop.( Or dump husband at the stone circle and go to Kruger without him :lol: )

Return to “Kruger National Park”