Skip to Content

Advisory - road conditions en route to Kruger gates

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Elsa

Re: Advisory - road conditions en route to Kruger gates

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:32 pm

I think the general consensus is that unless there is a current media release out on any problems on the Numbi gate road, of which I haven't heard anything, then its OK to do provided you drive it during the day which one would usually do entering or leaving the park anyway.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:02 am

Please be aware that there are currently major roadworks on the N4 between Malelane and Komatipoort, mostly near Hectorspruit. Speedbumps every few hundred meters making for very slow driving.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:54 pm

As far as I can ascertain the roadworks are mostly after Malelane so I would say using Malelane gate from Jhb will be your best bet obviously dependent on which camp you have booked as your first night in the park.

Have a read through Driving Best route from OR Tambo to Kruger

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:49 am

The roadworks are only after Hectorspruit on the way to Komatipoort and Crocodile Bridge. No problems with Malelane Gate.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:18 pm

Mischief wrote:We visited the KNP yesterday just for a day trip and entered through Numbi Gate.Please this is an advisory and cautionary message to all visitors who are going to the Park and intend using the R569 White River to Numbi Gate...watch out for the SPEED HILLS!!!!

First let me give credit to the Roads Department as the whole road had been resurfaced and has been widened in some area as well.Maybe 3 or 4 potholes but not the huge gaping sinkholes that existed before.Surface is really good.

The major concern now are the speed bumps as you enter the residential areas of Jerusalem and continue to approximately 5 km's before Numbi Gate.They definitely do deter any type of speeding,in fact going over these HILLS ....not bumps....at more than 20 km's/hour.....which are totally unmarked and no cautionary signs are posted except "pedestrians crossing"could very well result in some very real and extreme damage to your vehicle.This would include the latest greatest and biggest 4x4 as well.The pedestrians surely could only refer to elephants.

Please allow a good 20 minutes or more on your driving time.Do not try to drive this road before sun is high in the sky...no early mornings or late afternoons recommended.We were on the road at 7.20am in brilliant sunshine,travelling at a moderate speed and where still unpleasantly surprised with several bone jarring and teeth rattling experiences as we navigated the HILLS.And we were warned about the bumps in advance! :tongue: Also do remember the steady flow of taxis and buses and human pedestrians.

On a lighter note..the service at Numbi is excellent,although some visitors seem to be under the impression that taking alcohol into the Park as a day visitor is allowed.Also if you do have dentures...make sure they are securely fixed in place.We are fortunate enough to have all our own teeth but at the end of that ride...apart from being all shook up :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ,our teeth were loosened as well.

Safe travelling mites...the Kruger is as always Heaven! :thumbs_up:

And a further update and heads up

Mischief wrote:They have started road markings at the Speed Hills...cautionary yellow and white road markings just prior to each Speed Hill. Some cautionary signage on the side of the road but not very distinctive and more warning of pedestrians crossing
The road markings/paintings are just being done on an ad hoc basis and verrrrry slowly which sometimes involves a stop/go situation. Again let me stress all on an ad hoc basis, just as and when they get around to it.
The "Hills" are still as high. I was hoping with the intense sun heat they would have softened and become more rounded but that is not the case. Definitely not a road to be considered if you are towing a caravan or trailer.
I would still recommend entering the Park through Phabeni or Kruger Gate.
Hope this is of some assistance.

Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Karin Mitton wrote:
addictedToBirds wrote:Does anyone know the condition of the road to Punda Maria from Pretoria via Giyani?

There is nothing wrong with the road conditions between Polokwane and Punda gate. There were some roadworks outside Polokwane and a couple of other instances but nothing hectic. About halfway between Polokwane and Giyane the road gets vnarrow. It is also very busy. Between Giyane and Punda gate there were also many cows nextnto the road and there were no fences.
It was not a bad drive, but I did not enjoy it. i spoke to a lady in Puda and they went via Louis Trichardt. It is about 30kms longer, but apparently a better road with a shorter narrow road with fewer cows.

I just did the Punda-Louis Trichardt trip...never again. About 80 km of that trip has a speed limit of 60 km/h; poor surface, no lines in many places; two stop/go delays close to Trichardt....A lot of pedestrians, taxis...eish. The 140-odd km trip took us about 2 hours and 35 minutes. It was not so much the rate of travel that got to me; it was the number of (very) near misses caused by the other road users... :twisted:
Latest lifers: House Crow, Grey-backed Cisticola, Ludwig's Bustard, Tractrac Chat, African Reed Warbler, Black-bellied Starling, Plain-backed Pipit, Common Buttonquail, Cutthroat Finch, Freckled Nightjar

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:39 pm

Alert: Orpen Gate inaccessible due to protests

11 October 2017

Guests of Kruger National Park are informed that Orpen Gate is inaccessible due to protests taking place on the road (R531) in front of the Southern Wildlife College today, 11 October 2017 and is blocked at the moment. Guests are advised to use alternative gates such as Paul Kruger and Phalaborwa to access or exit the Park until further notice.

Enquiries:
William Mabasa
GM: Communications and Marketing, Kruger National Park (SANParks)
Tel: 013 735 4363; Cell: 082 807 3919
E-mail: william.mabasa@sanparks.org

Horrace

Orpen Gate Closed Due To Protest

Unread post by Horrace » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi Mods, if a duplicate post please delete.

News 24 is reporting that Kruger's Orpen Gate inaccessible due to protests

http://www.traveller24.com/News/Alerts/ ... s-20171024

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elsa

Re: Orpen Gate Closed Due To Protest

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Afriphile

Unread post by Afriphile » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:00 pm

I am quite concerned to read about this.I think this has happened a few times recently.
Next month we need to exit the Orpen gate,to drive from Satara to Sabi Sand and 3 days later do the return trip.
As we are UK visitors there are some questions that need answers,
1.How do we get up to date info about these protests,on the day?
2.Are these protests peacefull and are the police in attendance?
3.What is the action we should take if we find ourselves caught up in one?

The advice to use Paul Kruger gate or Phalaborwa gate is not really possible,as it would entail a huge detour and then still get caught up in the protest near to Orpen.
Cheers,Afriphile.

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi Afriphile,

I live in the Cape, far away from Kruger, so do NOT have latest info.

In all my years of travelling in RSA, I have only twice gotten "caught up" in such demos... once a few guys bringing logs to burn, and rocks in the road. Just slowed down and turned around. Other time at a mine near Pafuri gate -- just returned and found an alternative route to get around the problem...

I have never heard of such protests lasting much longer than a day or two.

Next month is a long time from now. Most likely it will all be over by then.

So please just come along!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Ps. If you are really only travelling from Satara to Sabie Sands, then why bother to go OUT of the park?
I regularly do morning trips from Pretoriuskop via Skukuza, Satara and Orpen when I want to visit friends in Hoedspruit... it is a wonderful drive! Who wants to drive through heavily built up settlements when you can do it in the bush? Surely your best option would be just that, and exit via Kruger gate...
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Afriphile

Unread post by Afriphile » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Thanks for the reassurance ,Friedrich.
The reason for the need to use Orpen gate is that we are going to Djuma,in the north of Sabi Sand,and so need to enter the reserve at the Gowrie gate,which I estimate is only about 20 miles from Orpen.We would turn off the main road just by the Wildlife college.
Cheers,Afriphile.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:09 pm

As Friedrich has said these are usually just a day long protest, so just keep an eye on the forum as I will try and get the updates out as soon as I can.
But if you are still concerned then maybe contact the local police centre or the Orpen gate nearest the time you need to access the gate and hopefully they will be able to update you as to the situation at that time.

ekoppen
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ekoppen » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 pm

*****2017*****
Skukuza Oct 27, 28, 29,30,31
Orpen Nov 1, 2
Letaba Nov 4, 5
Oliphants Nov 6, 7, 8
Satara Nov 9, 10, 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25
Lower Sabi Nov 26, 27,28,
Crocodile Bridge Nov 29, 30
Skukusa Dec 1,2,3,4

indabushe

Unread post by indabushe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi There, Can I get an update on Orpen Gate access as it stands currently. Thank you

Return to “Kruger National Park”