Skip to Content

38% in poll, never been to Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
DinkyBird

38% in poll, never been to Kruger

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:07 am

I am very surprised to see that 38% of those who voted on the News24 poll about the Kruger memories, have not been to the park before!
http://www.news24.com/

news24.JPG
Sawubona
Dalene

kOa_Master

Re: 38% in poll, never been to Kruger

Unread post by kOa_Master » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:35 am

sad but understandable...how would you go to kruger when you struggle with money for basic needs?
(and who knows where the voters live? it's an internet voting after all...)

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:46 am

I agree, k0a_master, most cannot afford to go; but I did think a greater percentage of those that read and vote on News24 website would visit the park. The polls there are all aimed at a more middle class market imo.
Sawubona
Dalene

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:58 am

I also think it could be a geography issue.

I grew up in Jhb. We used to go to Kruger at least twice a year when I was growing up.
My late father had been going for years before that.
It was the nearest holiday destination from where we lived. Nearer than the coast.

My SO (born in Cape Town) had never been before I took her, and neither had my in-laws.
When I asked them why they had never been, they said to me it was never on their radar. During their holidays, they would get into the car and go to Plett, or somewhere up the West Coats. For them to go to Kruger would have either been a 2 day drive. Or a flight to Jhb, and then drive from there.
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:15 pm

Perhaps some people prefer going somewhere else for their holidays :hmz: .

A lady at the office, her husband and two friends went to the Kruger National Park for the first time in April and upon her return she said that they all hated every moment of it and will never visit again as they got very bored after three hours in the Kruger National Park. They said all that there is to do is to drive and look at the same animals and dry bushes over and over again. They prefer going to the coastal resorts and cities in SA or going on a boat trip where a variety of amenities and entertainment are provided for them. She said that the camps were too quiet for them and they do not want to see the bush again by going a game drive in the evening as that is all there is to do and people complained when they played their music.

It could be that not all people are nature lovers or like silence and quiet. But many are nature lovers as over 1 million people visit the Kruger National Park annually already and the number is growing.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:22 pm

Yoda, true ... for those in the Western Cape, Kruger is very very far, and one cannot just pop there. So if you have limited holiday time, spending four days at least, getting to and from the Park is a big chunk of the holiday.

they all hated every moment of it and will never visit again as they got very bored after three hours in the Kruger National Park
:shock: I suppose tho, it is not for everybody. In my world tho, it is :lol:
Sawubona
Dalene

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:40 pm

GM, yes, I know some people like that. Went to Kruger. And were bored because the game drive was not non-stop animals. They actually went 20 minutes without seeing "anything" :roll:
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:42 pm

DinkyBird wrote:Yoda, true ... for those in the Western Cape, Kruger is very very far, and one cannot just pop there. So if you have limited holiday time, spending four days at least, getting to and from the Park is a big chunk of the holiday.

they all hated every moment of it and will never visit again as they got very bored after three hours in the Kruger National Park
:shock: I suppose tho, it is not for everybody. In my world tho, it is :lol:

And also more costly if you factor in the flights and then car hire.
Or the petrol and stop over accomodation if you drive
Terry Pratchett

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:22 pm

We had friends who said Kruger was boring boring and thought there could be nothing worse( though they had never been )so they spent their holidays in Mauritius and when asked what they did they said they on the beach slept and got a sun tan . Now for us that was boring boring . So its everyone to their own .
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:48 pm

The more people that think bush holidays are boring, the better! More space for the rest of us who love the bush and all it offers! I also have met people who cannot see any attraction in a bush holiday - they would rather fly overseas and visit museums and cathedrals or sit on a beach, getting covered in sand.
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

stefan9

Unread post by stefan9 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:49 am

Each to their own Kruger is still my favorite holiday by a long long way. We have been going every year since I was 10.
31 March - 3 April 2016 Berg n Dal Done
July 2017 Lower Sabie 3 nights and Talamati 3 nights

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:13 pm

To the 38% that have never been to a park and are not interested in going there either, thank you. We will stay out of your concrete jungle but you must stay away from the bush. :rtm: I have seen too many folks that arrive at a national park loaded with bicycles, beach balls and ghetto blasters, thinking it is a pleasure resort. (Or am I too harsh) :shock:
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:50 pm

There will always be "different strokes for different folks" and I also know several people who would never consider a bush holiday as ideal, but I also know that I have converted quite a few and they now love it. 8)
Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Xankanka

Unread post by Xankanka » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Elsa wrote:There will always be "different strokes for different folks"

Don't I know it!

My wife loves nature and can happily spend a few hours watching birds, but the thought of going to Kruger fills her with horror. Not the park itself, but she can't imagine anything worse than "Sitting in a car for hours on end with me taking photographs".
Having said that, she has no problems with me going and even suggests I take a break to Kruger :k . Still, it would be nicer if she came with me, but I cannot persuade her to do so :roll: . So, I go on my own 'sitting in a car for hours on end, taking photographs'. :cam:

I'll have to make a sticker though to warn people that I stop for birds and small things too!
(I annoyed a few people the last time, just stopping for birds and they found out there wasn't a pride of lions :wink: )

Mike

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:31 am

Hugh wrote:We had friends who said Kruger was boring boring and thought there could be nothing worse( though they had never been )so they spent their holidays in Mauritius and when asked what they did they said they on the beach slept and got a sun tan . Now for us that was boring boring . So its everyone to their own .

I couldn't agree more Hugh, but funnily enough that used to be my idea of the perfect holiday, until I met Dave and he introduced me to Kruger (apart from a few nights when I was a child which I barely remember). Now I live for our next Kruger trip, even going there on our honeymoon :lol: :lol:

We too have a friend who has a father-in-law that treated the whole family on a trip to Etosha :mrgreen: and said her entire time there was miserable for her because 'once you have seen one lion, you have seen them all'!! :hmz: :hmz:

Thank goodness we dont all enjoy the bush, otherwise we would never get a booking. :shock:
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
Current: The Different Faces of Cape Point
CURRENT TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

Return to “Kruger National Park”