Skip to Content

The Parks Shop

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Afriphile

Re: Shops in Kruger

Unread post by Afriphile » Tue May 03, 2016 10:57 pm

Hi Lindah,
We have found the shops quite good and always had something to make a meal,but you have to take what they have,not always what you want.!
If you are in the park for a while then I would drive out to do a big shop.
Crocodile bridge,Malelane and Phebeni gates all have big supermarkets close by and leaving and re-entering is easy.
Enjoy your trip.
Afriphile.

stefan9

Unread post by stefan9 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:44 pm

Very hit and miss imho. If possible I would rather land in Nelspruit and buy atleast the fresh food there.
31 March - 3 April 2016 Berg n Dal Done
July 2017 Lower Sabie 3 nights and Talamati 3 nights

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed May 04, 2016 5:20 am

I found that the shops have greatly improved. Unless you have special needs, the stock is pretty reasonable. The prices are a lot more competitive than previously.

As Elsa said, Skukuza is probably the best shop for most things.

I also often pop in at the Komatipoort SPAR when I stay in the Southeastern camps. It is only about 8 km from Croc Bridge Gate. It is clean, well stocked and caters a lot for tourists. I might suggest that you take a quick drive out.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

victimofnature

Unread post by victimofnature » Wed May 04, 2016 8:23 am

Good morning.

We visited the Kruger the past weekend and I was looking at the shops at Lower Sabie and Skukuza. That is the best shops to buy your basic day to day stuff like fresh bread, veggies and so on.

If you can.... go and sit down at Mugg and Bean at Lower Sabie. Food is very good and fresh with a very nice scenery.

But if you go to a pick nick spot to make a brunch. Take everything with you. Service is poor and the sit down food is not up to standard. Pick nick spots in the Kruger is not up to standard. You can see them going backwards every year.

Good example is Nkuhulu near Lower Sabie. Very nice place to sit and relax, but don't expect to get more than a scenery photo. Once a very nice pick nick spot, but now is only a pitstop.

Enjoy your trip. Kruger is the place to be!!!!

Greetings

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Alcohol

Unread post by Yoda » Thu May 12, 2016 3:56 pm

The following question was posed on a general travel forum that I am also a member of.
No one seemed to know the answer.

Is alcohol sold in KNP shops on a Sunday?

DinkyBird

Re: Alcohol

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu May 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Yes, it is - and no restrictions on hours.
Sawubona
Dalene

lindah

Unread post by lindah » Mon May 16, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi we're here now sitting in Biyamiti and have just had two lovely porterhouse steaks bought chilled from Skukuza shop along with potato salad, coleslaw and fried eggs. Not to mention a fine bottle of red and some Castle lager. So the answer to my own question is that the shops are fine and for us Brits extremely reasonable as was the Cattle Baron at Skukuza last night. Found flying into Skukuza airport and shopping in the park so much less hassle than flying into Nelspruit and doing a big shop at Malelane. Just need a little bit of forward planning but enjoying being back in our favourite place and staying at Biyamiti for the first time.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Mon May 16, 2016 8:33 pm

So glad all has worked out well for you Linda. :dance:

I have found the camp shops, especially Skukuza to have vastly improved over the past few years, and if folk fly into Skukuza not Nelspruit or Joburg, why go all the way back outside the park to shop when they can shop at Skukuza?

On the other hand if people do fly into Joburg or Nelspruit, then shopping at a supermarket outside the park is a good idea, as the choice is so much better than any of the park shops. :thumbs_up:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue May 17, 2016 6:16 am

Lindah, thank you for that feedback. :gflower: I am pleased that you had such a tasty start.

I agree with Val. There has been a substantial improvement in service and the quality of foods available.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Tue May 17, 2016 8:10 am

I have found (during my recent KNP visit) that the shops are actually quite reasonable (even for a south african). The selection of products and quality of the products on offer are excellent!

Div

Unread post by Div » Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 pm

The shops in all our Parks used to be very expensive. But Sanparks definately listened to public opinion about this.
Not only are the range of products better but also the prices. Yes you do pay more, but the prices, considering the location, is fair and the products are of good quality. In my opinion, well done Sanparks.

Platjan

Unread post by Platjan » Fri May 20, 2016 11:12 am

Div,

That has been our experience as well. The prices are still 10 -20% more than at a supermarket outside of the park, and not the 50%+ that it used to be 10 years back. For the convenience( and the quality of the fresh produce that you now get at the Shops in KNP), I am willing to pay that extra 20%.

M2CW
Satara 21 - 23 June
Tsendze 24 - 25 June

Shopiata

Unread post by Shopiata » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:01 pm

Hippotragus wrote:Being "locals", we normally take all our food, drinks etc. (usually far too much!) but, when looking through the shops, we have seen a huge improvement in their stock.
The shops seem to have far more fresh vegetables and fruit and frozen meats than before. There is a good variety of tinned and bottled things as well - jams, sauces etc.

There is also a good supply of things you might have forgotten - torches, sharp knives, batteries, mugs, flasks etc.

The clothing is expensive but is unique to South Africa and the parks - I have to be restrained when looking at the kids' clothing. I have bought several outfits for grandchildren - they love the animals on T-shirts.

That's good to hear that there has been a huge improvement when it comes to their stock. I do love fresh fruits and vegetables. This is good news for me.

Captainron

Re: The Parks Shop

Unread post by Captainron » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:45 am

The cost of getting the book/curio etc. into a major newsagent in a town is loads less than it is to get the delivery into Satara, Letaba, Mopane etc. Camps near the gates take less time to get to, which in turn means lower costs. Perhaps this has a bearing on their pricing structures?

I wouldn't be tempted to buy statues/curios at the road side vendors on the outside of the park though. They are causing havoc with the local trees as they cut down indescriminantly.

I am not too bothered about pricing in the shops though. I am on holiday so maybe I just laugh it off.
10000k's away and longing to be there

Skukuza - 15 Jan 17
Satara - 16/17 Jan 17
Berg en Dal - 18/19 Jan 17

Chacma

Excellent Meat in Kruger

Unread post by Chacma » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:54 am

Hats off to the official KNP butcher!
We have been sampling his wares for over a month now, and with another fortnight to go I am delighted to report that everything we have eaten has been of excellent quality: tender, flavourful and reasonably priced.
Keep up the good work Oom Kallie!

Return to “Kruger National Park”