Skip to Content

How snared animals are attended to:

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue May 02, 2017 10:56 am

A report from Kruger on animals reported with snares. (Apologies, I have been off line and this email is dated 25 April)

1. Wild dog at Pretoriuskop
- There was a wilddog that had a snare around its neck/head, which the state vets and VWS have been trying to capture for a few weeks now. It was treated on 24 April and fortunately the snare had come off by itself and the animal will make a full recovery. It is important to note that the wound will still be around for a while as other dogs lick the open wound keeping it clean but delaying the healing.

2. Hyena also at Pretoriuskop
- There are continually hyaena reported with snares in the Pretoriuskop area due to a chronic snaring problem in the boundary area of that section – constant and sustained effort is being done to rid the bush of snares set by poachers but are often difficult to find due to the very thick vegetation. Hyaena is notoriously difficult to dart and despite a number of attempts this animal has not been captured yet. The effort continuous.

3. Lion with a snare on its body at Punda Maria
- Another area where snares are a chronic threat is on the western boundary of the Punda Section. It also an area where capture of animals is very difficult due to the distance away from veterinary bases and also the very thick and hilly terrain. We have attempted to capture this lion once already with no avail and the state veterinary office is going to try again today and tonight. This snare is not life threatening and efforts are ongoing to try and capture and remove the snare.
Snare removed

4. Leopard at S65 waterhole road
- It is a female with two cubs. The vets investigated, the leopard is not snared but scarred on the neckline (indicating an old snare or injury) – careful evaluation of close-up photos have confirmed that it is only a scar and not a snare. The animal is on good health and will fine.

It is one of the core activities of rangers to combat this problem. Unfortunately snares are being set continuously by poachers in KNP. Due to the thick vegetation and vast area that the park covers, snares are notoriously difficult to find. Apart from routine patrols, honorary rangers groups are also deployed to help rid the bush of these silent killer. Predators roam over large areas and are therefore proportionally more exposed to the risk of being caught and hence the higher incidence of such species being recorded with broken off snares. If a snared animal breaks free from the attachment where the snare is anchored then they do move around therefore they won’t necessarily be found in the area where the snare was set. As all snared animals in the park are wild animals it is not always possible to get close to them to dart them, they are not always accessible to be darted and if not constantly monitored difficult to find even an hour after a report being made are not in the same place as where there were seen. There are therefore times when, despite significant effort, the animal cannot be helped quickly. If the injury is really serious with poor prognosis of recovery then a decision may have to be made to put it down for humane reasons.

Snares can cause various degrees of injury to an animal caught by it (if it does not outright kill them). The survival depends on the severity of the snare or injury inflicted on the animal. Any injury to wildlife that can be linked to human influence (like snaring) gets attended to as a priority once brought to the attention of our Rangers and depending on the situation and condition, the Section Ranger of that specific section, after consultation with relevant Management as well as Vets, will decide on the most appropriate way to assist the animal. Through experience we know that the most damage to the body of a snared animal takes placed during the struggle to break free from the attached snare. Once it has broken free then the wound will not heal due to the snare attached but usually will not get worse as it is no longer attached and has reached its minimum constriction size. In some instances the snare may not even break through the skin and is then not life threatening at all.

SANParks management and its management partners like the state vet office in KNP make it a priority to remove snares or in extreme cases humanly euthanize the animal where it has a limited chance of survival. If a snare is removed before it cause significant injury then the animal will recover quickly, although healing can take some time in social animals where other members of the group may lick the open wound. In these instances it may still appear like the animal has a snare but in fact it is the wound that is taking time to heal.

Please report any snared animals to the local ranger and it makes a big difference to the plan of action when exact locations and photos of the snared animal can be supplied.
- Dalene

Cape of Storms
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2015)

Re: How snared animals are attended to:

Unread post by Cape of Storms » Wed May 03, 2017 1:41 am

So sad to see creatures suffering. How amazing that there are so many people willing to help. Thank you to all those involved in saving our wildlife from pain, suffering and even death!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trip Report July 2015 African Sky Blue, Will you bless my life?

It will be two years since our last visit, 2017 Trip is booked 8)
24 Jul LowerSabie
25-27 Jul Biyamiti
27-31 Jul Orpen
31 Jul - 2 August Shimiwini
2-4 Aug Satara
4-7 Aug Olifants

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed May 03, 2017 4:18 am

Cape of Storms wrote:So sad to see creatures suffering. How amazing that there are so many people willing to help. Thank you to all those involved in saving our wildlife from pain, suffering and even death!

I agree Cape of Storms.

Thank you for that information DB. :thumbs_up:

I would like to add that if anyone sees a snared animal, please call 0768019679. This is a central number used for all emergencies.

If you do not have this number in your phone, please enter it now.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

manicwalker
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by manicwalker » Wed May 03, 2017 4:21 am

I totally agree Cape of Storms... :thumbs_up:
One wishes these brutal people could also get caught in their horrific snares, and suffer the same consequences :evil:

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Thu May 04, 2017 6:39 am

Extremely interesting information DInky Bird...thank you so much for sharing! Is this a regular topic that is reported on in the Forum?
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Thu May 04, 2017 7:23 am

Reports of snared animals do come up every now and then and it's often suggested/felt that SANParks don't care or do anything about it, more so on the social media side, so we felt this goes to show that this is not true and once correctly reported they really do their utmost to locate and treat the animal.

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by johanrebel » Thu May 04, 2017 10:19 pm

pafuri 183.jpg

pafuri 231.jpg

pafuri 234.jpg

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by johanrebel » Thu May 04, 2017 10:25 pm

IMAG2188.jpg
This one is quite dead.

IMAG2189.jpg

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by johanrebel » Thu May 04, 2017 10:29 pm

Apologies for the poor quality, it was getting dark.

Snared buffalo.jpg
Not quite dead yet.

Cape of Storms
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2015)

Unread post by Cape of Storms » Thu May 04, 2017 11:27 pm

Just makes me so sad and angry

Trip Report July 2015 African Sky Blue, Will you bless my life?

It will be two years since our last visit, 2017 Trip is booked 8)
24 Jul LowerSabie
25-27 Jul Biyamiti
27-31 Jul Orpen
31 Jul - 2 August Shimiwini
2-4 Aug Satara
4-7 Aug Olifants

manicwalker
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by manicwalker » Fri May 05, 2017 4:07 am

:( :cry: :evil: :naughty: :rtm:
Why oh why are some humans so totally brutal and heartless :cry: :cry:

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Fri May 05, 2017 4:36 am

Thanks Elsa for the reply.I really believe that this is a worthwhile topic to give feedback on and the key element here is correctly reported otherwise matters of this nature do tend to get quite sensationalized.
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

matimba

Unread post by matimba » Sat May 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for the number Meandering Mouse, I was also disturbed by the picture of that snared hyena around Pretoriuskop. Some people have cold hearts indeed

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun May 07, 2017 5:46 am

matimba wrote:Thanks for the number Meandering Mouse, I was also disturbed by the picture of that snared hyena around Pretoriuskop. Some people have cold hearts indeed

:thumbs_up: Do use the number. I came across a female baboon that had been hit by a car. :cry: :cry: I drove to the nearest place where I could get cell signal and phoned the number. My call was answered immediately and a ranger was sent out. They also gave me feedback about the progress of the report.

I do hope you never have to use this number, but it is invaluable if anything goes wrong.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

RayK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RayK » Tue May 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi DinkyBird,
I waited until now to work up the courage to open this thread because of the horror that would be within. How a person (poacher) can lower himself to such a level is beyond me. Gratefully there are people that are trying to help these suffering animals.

Return to “Kruger National Park”