Skip to Content

Advice on Travel to Skukuza

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
DesiTraveller

Advice on Travel to Skukuza

Unread post by DesiTraveller » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks to all the suggestions and advice I received in this forum, we finally made our reservations at the following locations for our much anticipated trip during the first week of August 2018:

Skukuza
Olifants
Olifants
Satara
Satara
Skukuza

We are flying in to JNB the night before. However, we need to decide weather to fly to Nelspruit and drive to Skukuza or fly to Skukuza directly? Also, how soon should we book our flights? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Regards
DesiTraveller

Mischief
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Advice on Travel to Skukuza

Unread post by Mischief » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:29 am

HI DesiTraveller,

Your planned stay in the Kruger Park sounds wonderful.
Personally I would choose to fly into KMIA where you can hire a vehicle and then spend some time stocking up on groceries and meat,fresh vegs and fruit.Please don't get me wrong,you can purchase most if not all of these items in Skukuza Camp but from a variety,freshness and price point of view it would be my preference to shop in or around Nelspruit,Malelane, Komatipoort,White River or Hazyview.
You would also then get to see some more of the Lowveld depending which gate you choose to enter through.You would have a choice depending on your flight arrival at KMIA of Malelane,Crocodile Bridge and even Phabeni or Paul Kruger Gate.You need to allow yourself plenty of time to get to an entry gate and then get to Skukuza Camp before the entry gates and camp gates shut at 6 pm. If you enter through Crocodile Bridge or Malelane you will also give yourself the opportunity to see some of the southern part of the Park as well.

If you don't intend cooking at all for yourself but will just be making use of the restaurants or take-always food outlets in the Park itself then flying directly to Skukuza and hiring a vehicle there will be the easiest option.

In terms of flight bookings,if you receive your booking confirmation from the Kruger National Park ...go for it! There are daily flights from OR Tambo JHB to Nelspruit and Skukuza.

Enjoy a lot of fun is in the planning of the trip. If you should have any further questions,please do not hesitate to ask.We have many seasoned Kruger Park members on the Forum. :thumbs_up:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

DesiTraveller

Unread post by DesiTraveller » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:27 am

Thanks a lot. I find your note very helpful and it is much appreciated. :gflower:

Cape of Storms
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2015)

Unread post by Cape of Storms » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:53 pm

Mischief has given some really great advice. If you are needing to stock up Nelspruit or Malelane are really good options. Also you might get more variety in terms of car rental company rates for vehicle hire. Another plus is you could fly in the night before and really hit the park early in the morning with everything you need. Accommodation in Nelspruit is plentiful. Happy planning!
Trip Report July 2015 African Sky Blue, Will you bless my life?

“Safari life makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne — bubbling over with heartfelt gratitude for being alive.”Karen Blixen

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:02 am

DesiTraveller, you really have been given good advice.

The Skukuza half marathon always takes place on the first Saturday of August. I am not sure how that will affect flights. Just to make sure that your flights are booked asap.

All that I can say is....enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. :D
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

DesiTraveller

Unread post by DesiTraveller » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:58 am

Umm! Now I know why everything is sold out on 8/3 and 8/4 at Skukuza. This might also mean Nelspruit is the only option. I need to act quick. Thanks a lot. :gflower:

Regards
DesiTraveller

Return to “Kruger National Park”