Feedback after my own Kruger drought

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Feedback after my own Kruger drought

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:53 am

Due to circumstances outside my control, I had a long Kruger wait. Since my last trip, a lot has changed. I would just like to say a few words and acknowledge the many people behind the scenes who keep Kruger the place we keep returning to... again and again and again.

The highlights

Tambotie

Since my last stay in Tambotie, the floods had taken their toll. I stayed in Number 22 and to my delight, the tent had been completely revamped. What a pleasure.

The Skukuza shop.

I am not fond of queues, so my shopping in Skukuza had only been on a 'need to' basis. In the past, I found it tedious and the shop seemed rather dark and uninviting.

The new shop layout is a dream. The lighting and layout gives a sense of spaciousness.

There was never a long queue, despite being the height of the holiday season. I was always greeted with a smile and the 'holiday helpers' made transaction quick and easy.

I was so impressed with the prices of the meat produce, that I have decided to buy my provisions in Kruger in future. I do not eat bread and sugar based foods, so I don't know how they compare.

The Cattle Baron.

We decided to spend New Year's Eve in a celebratory manner. What a treat.

We all chose from their special meat menu and enjoyed each mouthful. The prices compared well to those that I would expect in Gauteng.

Despite being a special occasion with many people eating out, our meal was served in good time. My fillet was cooked to a perfect medium rare and the salad was fresh. I also recommend their rock shandy, one of the best that I have tasted. The service was efficient and friendly.

Lower Sabie

Mug n Bean

We visited Lower Sabie for a leisurely brunch. It was a sweltering day and the place was crowded.

After a 15 second wait, we were shown our table and what followed was top class service.

Our food was delivered with relative speed and the waiter was outstanding in every way. He seemed to have eyes in the back of his head, as he went from table to table.

The food itself was of a very good standard. We enjoyed it so much that we came back for afternoon refreshments before returning to Skuks.

As for the view.... what can I say about the view?

sigh

Watching sun bathing chubby hippos, buffalo meander across the Sabie, warties having a mud spa... starlings chatter to the guests...not to mention the excitement of the discussion of the latest sighting.

Lowlights

The drought. :( It was difficult to see the Park in this state.

Inconsiderate behavior at sightings. Fortunately we only experienced on incident of really bad behavior, but it spoiled our joy for quite a few moments. Unfortunately, one cannot legislate consideration.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Karin Mitton
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Feedback after my own Kruger drought

Unread postby Karin Mitton » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:57 am

MM, I have not stayed at Tambotie, but I can echo everything you have said about Skukuza and LS. The facilities and the staff makes every visit a pleasure.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:53 am

Thanks for the feedback on the areas visited MM. :clap:
Pity about any incident of inconsiderate behaviour.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

Carol g
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Carol g » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks for the feedback MM, I share your opinion of the cattle baron and LS,s Mug and Bean, I also found them great :dance:

Yes it's very upsetting to see the drought taking its toll :cry:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread postby Philip1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:42 am

Meandering Mouse :gflower: Thank you for your valued info. :)

Meandering Mouse: Fortunately we only experienced one incident of really bad behavior, but it spoiled our joy for quite a few moments. Unfortunately, one cannot legislate consideration.

Unfortunately, one child in a classroom can spoil it for the rest of the class. :rtm:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Kaapsedraai
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby Kaapsedraai » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:43 am

Meandering Mouse, you have summed it up perfectly.
Although we did not stay at Tamboti this Dec'15, I echo your views about Skukuza Park shop, Cattle Baron, Lower Sabie Mugg & Bean and the drought impact on everything :thumbs_up:
One thing to add, was the heat wave we had to deal with unlike the heat we enjoyed during previous summers. :shock:
Current - Table Mountain's mood today
Current - Dec'15: Mokala(7th), Kruger (10-24th), Golden Gate (25th) & Karoo (26th)
Finished - Bontebok NP 23-25 Sep'15, Agulhas NP Jul'15; West Coast NP Aug'15, Kruger Dec'14

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hugh » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:01 pm

Thanks Mouse My mouth is watering at the thought of a CBaron meal
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:04 pm

Great feedback Meandering Mouse, thank you! :gflower:

Fortunately, most of the negatives are out of human control. The human part .... well, we'll never get rid of them. :evil:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.
Kruger sleeps in March 2016
2 - 5: Skukuza
6 - 8: Crocodile Bridge
9 - 11: Lower Sabie
12 - 13: Biyamiti
14: Return home

RayK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RayK » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi Meandering Mouse,
Thank you for the encouraging Report. Someday, again I'll be sampling what the Kruger has to offer. Is there a TR coming? :)

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:59 pm

Thank you, MM, for giving such a glowing report of your recent experiences in Kruger. It is very encouraging to read a positive report, when many people seem to take delight in highlighting the negative aspects.

Shame about the bad behaviour incident - but I think it, unfortunately, goes with the high season time of year.

The drought is nature at its most unkind, but there is little we mere mortals can do about it.
Cricket @ Skukuza 3-6 March 2016
Satara 6-9 March 2016

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:35 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I realized after posting that I left out one very important aspect.

The ablutions

I have never had a complaint about Tambotie ablutions. I have always found them spotless and well maintained. :gflower:

I was a bit concerned about camping in Skukuza in the hottest and busiest season...

A big :gflower: to the cleaners. They were in at six in the morning to check up on toilet rolls and they started giving the ablutions a really good clean up at about eight. Everything was spotless.

It is a thankless and unpleasant job. I really take my hat off to these ladies who keep our trip as pleasant as possible.

Pumbaa
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pumbaa » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:56 pm

Thanks for that good feedback, MM,

always a pleasure to hear such good service :thumbs_up: and already looking forward now to our visit

As for the drought that is a matter of Nature and hopefully there will time come when the park will be green and lush again :?

Foxy
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby Foxy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:52 pm

MM, thanks for the very positive and great feedback.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:45 am

I am forgetting two very important Skukuza specials.

The Hamilton Library and Museum

This is the first time that I have visited since the revamp.

Well done to those involved.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The museum section is so interesting. This is not dry dates, the history is so well presented. Who ever did the research and writing has done a sterling job.

The library, :hmz: I have to admit that I did escape the heat and sink into those deep leather chairs with a book. I could have spent a long, long time there.

I always feel at home in libraries. This one is very, very special. I feel completely at home.

The Skukuza Nursery

OH wow, what a gem. :dance: :dance: :dance:

This was the first time that I visited the nursery and nothing could have prepared me for the specialness of the place. It really is a place for chilling, bird watching and I loved the locals... the warties and bushbuck.

I had a look at their prices and could not believe the bargains. The plants were well laid out and clear information about the environment suitable for growth.

I was looking to see how much a Fever tree would cost. I want to plant one next to the grave of my dog, Sox. I would have to pay the sum of R35 for a fairly nicely established plant. I was also informed that is was fairly frost resistant, but that it needed protection while still young. 8) Guess what else I will be buying when at the cricket. :wink:

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2015)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:27 am

MM we also visited the Hamilton library and museum last November and was very impressed :thumbs_up: I love that library and all those Africana books (of which some are very rare) are still there, thank you Sanparks for keeping them. The displays are very good. The historical pet memorial in the gardens outside the museum made a huge impression on me. We did not visit the nursery but will definitely do so next time.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Return to “Kruger National Park”