Skip to Content

Info walks taken from camps.

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
Afriphile

Re: Info walks taken from camps.

Unread post by Afriphile » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi Helol,
I never take my 100-400 on walks as it is cumbersome and in my experience there is limited opportunity to use it.
Binos,in my opinion ,are essential.
LS is a flat area so you will not find it too strenuous . In April the weather should be perfect for walks.
Enjoy your trip.
Afriphile.

Helol

Unread post by Helol » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:39 pm

Thanks Afriphile, you confirmed what I was thinking about leaving the lens behind.

Thanks for the info abou the walk too - looking forward to it.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:24 am

Hi there Helol :D

I agree 100% with Afriphile.

Although the terrain is fairly flat, it is a challenge with stones and small obstacles. Maintaining balance can be difficult at times. A large lens will not enhance your enjoyment, binos will. If there are any larger animals, such as Rhino, or lion, silence and stillness become essential. My experience is that my hands shake so much that even holding binos is a challenge. :wink:

Most of the interesting sightings are little things. I am sure that you will see lots of those.

Do make sure that you cover your legs. There are many different grasses in full season at the moment. Some can scratch quite badly.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

James89

Unread post by James89 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Afriphile wrote:Hi Helol,
I never take my 100-400 on walks as it is cumbersome and in my experience there is limited opportunity to use it.
Binos,in my opinion ,are essential.
LS is a flat area so you will not find it too strenuous . In April the weather should be perfect for walks.
Enjoy your trip.
Afriphile.

Leave the lens/ heavy stuff... Definitely take bino's!!
I don's take a camera on walks anymore too much hassle, if you see something big/dangerous you don't have much time to get a great shot.

Helol

Unread post by Helol » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Thanks MM and James.

Again, it's good to know I was thinking along the right lines for a change! Yes, will be bringing the binoculars. I was involved with a bird of prey reintroduction project here in the UK, so I am hoping to get some good views of your birds, although I confess to not being familiar with them!

Looking forward to the trip.

James89

Unread post by James89 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi All,

Off to the north for the first time in March.

I would like to do a walk one of the mornings, but not sure which camp is the best walk out of Punda Maria, Bateleur or Shimuwini?

I have walked numerous times in the south, and prefer walks that are near water/ riverbeds as opposed to walking randomly through the veld. Although ironically our best sighting was following a game trail through open bush. Which of the 3 camps above has the most pleasant walk?? Seeing some great birds would also be a plus.

James

James89

Morning Walks in the North

Unread post by James89 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:00 am

Hi All,

I would like to do a walk one of the mornings this long weekend, but not sure which camp is the best walk out of Punda Maria, Bateleur or Shimuwini?

I have walked numerous times in the south, and prefer walks that are near water/ riverbeds as opposed to walking randomly through the veld. Which of the 3 camps above has the most pleasant walk? Seeing some great birds would also be a plus.

Sorry if this has been asked in another thread, but i couldn't find anything using the search function.

James

jaybabe

Re: Morning Walks in the North

Unread post by jaybabe » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:16 am

Hi
I have done morning walks 3 x at Punda. Once was on the Luvuvu river which was great we even got to see a Pels fishing owl. Once to the Thulumela ruins which was really interesting but not on a river. We did drive in the Pafuri area which is always special and once we walked to see some rock art which was different. Perhaps when booking you can specify what kind of walk you wish to do.
We also walked at Shimulwini along a river. This walk was one of the best walks I have ever done in Kruger. Our guide on that day was really great.
Worst walks in the North for me: Letaba and Shingwedzi....but timing is everything it seems. Conditions and your guide.
Good luck
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” by James Dean

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”