Skip to Content

help planning trip

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
irecardi

help planning trip

Unread post by irecardi » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:29 pm

hi everybody,
i'll be there at the beginning of february.i have 5 nights to spend into the park.could you suggest me how to spend theese nights?i'll arrive from jnb,and before entering the park i'd like to see blyde river canyon...i don't know if is better to enter from orpen gate or phalaborwa.if i enter from orpen,i thought to do like this:
1 tamboti
2 olifants
3 talamati
4 lower sabie (2 nights)
what do you think? i know in february it will be hot ,but i can only that time...
it will be my very first time and most of all i am a little concerned about heavy rain.i also know that last year it was very arid. i'm looking for your advices.thanks

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: help planning trip

Unread post by Hugh » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:01 pm

Enter Orpen gate and then Tamboti
But talamati is close to Tamboti so I would stay there next
then Olifants
and down to Lower Sabie ( which is doable )
Happy planning
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

irecardi

Unread post by irecardi » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:49 pm

thank you very much. telling the truth right now i can't decide between kruger and kgalagadi.it's my very firts time and both the parks fascinated me a lot.

bushguy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bushguy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Whichever you chose , best you get moving otherwise you will not get the booking you want!

In my humble opinion, do Kruger first if it's your first time. There is more variety of animals and scenery.

BG
Spring is sprung, Der grass is riz, I wonder where dem boidies is?
Der boids is on der wing,
Ain't dat absoid?
Der wings is on de boid!

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:36 pm

irecardi wrote:thank you very much. telling the truth right now i can't decide between kruger and kgalagadi.it's my very firts time and both the parks fascinated me a lot.

hi,

book now then maybe change your mind.

if it's your first trip to SA then my advice would be to enter at orpen and spend two nights in talamati, across to satara for two nights then exit for one night south via croc bridge or malalene.

Have a sunset drive in the middle of each of the two nights and you will be in heaven.

If in talamati spend a morning or full afternoon/evening at the the hide and you will be amazed. See our TR below....

enjoy and please share your story....
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. TR done
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
Other TR's 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:52 am

irecardi, oh dear, what a dilemma. :wink: This just serves to remind me of how much Kruger has to offer.

As Inyanga suggested, I would consider doing fewer camps. It cuts down on time spent packing and checking in.

Like inyanga, I would recommend Talamati, but then I would consider two nights Satara and two nights Lower Sabie.

The reason I suggest these camps is simply that the diversity of roads from Sarata and Lower Sabie would give you so many options. The other reason is that it is February and the heat can be stifling (up to 44 and humid). Satara and Lower Sabie do have bungalows with aircon. Some new visitors to the Park can really struggle with the heat. I think the bush camps only have ceiling fans.

The larger camps do have good shops and places to eat. It is sometimes good to have those facilities, if you have spent a day driving in sweltering heat and don't want to prepare meals.

Olifants has the most amazing views, but I would not recommend staying there, if your time is short. It does not have the same diversity of roads as Satara. Rather just spoil yourself with a meal in the restaurant and take in the beauty of the place.

I do say, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:14 am

I think you have been given some good advice and I agree with the advice to try and stay in camps with air con in Feb which is a lovely time of year but can be very hot and humid.
If you want to do Blyde Canyon then I would choose Kruger for this first visit and do KTP for your next and you can decide which you prefer.
Good luck and enjoy.

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:52 pm

I think Meandering Mouse has given you some very good advice - especially for a first-timer (hopefully not a last-timer!).

One thing to take into account, other than the heat and air-conditioning, is the availability of accommodation. Kruger Park accommodation gets fully-booked far in advance, so I suggest you draft your plan and get onto the bookings as soon as possible. Remember that cancellations do occur closer to the time, so book what you can get and adjust the booking as time goes by. Two months before the date, the final deposit has to be paid and sometimes people forget and then the booking is cancelled and becomes available for someone else.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

irecardi

Unread post by irecardi » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:40 pm

inyanga 1 wrote:hi,
book now then maybe change your mind.
if it's your first trip to SA then my advice would be to enter at orpen and spend two nights in talamati, across to satara for two nights then exit for one night south via croc bridge or malalene.
Have a sunset drive in the middle of each of the two nights and you will be in heaven.
If in talamati spend a morning or full afternoon/evening at the the hide and you will be amazed. See our TR below....
enjoy and please share your story....

thank you all!! i decide for kruger.
what if i enter at orpen gate and i stay :
talamati 1 night
olifants 1 night
satara i night
lower sabie 2 night?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:39 am

irecadi, that looks fine if you don't mind packing up and moving to a different camp each day.
as others have indicated its not ideal but a personal choice.
but if you can get 2 nights in Lower Sabie that will be great as its a very good and productive area for sightings. :thumbs_up:

irecardi

Unread post by irecardi » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:54 am

Hi I can't find room at talamati,we are a couple and they only have availability in cottages for 4 persons.so what do you think if I go :
Tamboti
Olifants
Satara
Lower sabie 2 nights?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:40 pm

irecardi, if you are looking to book the cottage listed as a CO4 CO4 cottage which has a base rate of 2, (which is what the minimum charge is for 2 people,) then you can certainly stay there as only 2 people.
If you were either 3 or 4 people staying there you would be charged an extra R380 per extra person.

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:19 pm

As others have said better to have more nights in fewer camps.
talamati 2 nights allow you to enjoy the hide in the day between those two nights (mixed witha morning/afternoon self drive),
Similarly 2 nights in satara allows not only a good day to drive around that area of the park but on itslast night you could do a sunset/evening drive. These are more time critical if you only have one night.

Remember the last (possibly single night) still allows another days sight seeing as you drive out of the park (e.g from croc bridge and out from malalene or malalene and out via orpen)

Whatever you chose do TWO things:-

1 write a trip report of how your adventure went..
2 above all enjoy yourselves :)
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. TR done
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
Other TR's 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Return to “Kruger National Park”