Skip to Content

Litter, speeding and general lawlessness in Kruger....

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Bushmad
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Litter, speeding and lawlessness in Kruger....

Unread post by Bushmad » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi Imberbe!

If your memory serves you correctly...yes this is a blast from the past. :lol:

I really appreciate this post. I would like to make a similar point:

On all of my visits to Kruger, bad behaviour and litter are RARE, I have found the vast majority of drivers to be law abiding, I have seen relatively little litter (there is always room for improvement though) and I have found law enforcement to be improving. We should not allow our perception of reality to be warped by not sitting back and taking a wider view. As I said, there is room for improvement, but there is certainly no cause for alarm.

Its good to be back.
"Acts of kindness never die. They linger in the memory, giving lift to other acts in return."
Lord Sacks - From Optimism to Hope

TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: What should I do when I see litter on the side of the ro

Unread post by TheunsH » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:33 am

Hi Stickman and welcome to the forum! :thumbs_up:

The ONLY way we can contribute to a cleaner Park is not to litter ourselves. Furthermore, you should just leave the litter in and next to the road...it is against the rules to get out of your vehicles, except at picnic sites, etc. SANParks has dedicated "cleaning teams" who clean the Park regularly...I think!? :hmz:

If one really feels like doing his/her part in cleaning the Park, he/she can always pick-up the rubbish in the camps, picnic spots or hides, where it is legal to do that! :thumbs_up:

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:42 am

Stickman, by picking up litter (and I understand you wanting to do so) you are putting yourself at risk. Not only with the bigger animals, but with snakes perhaps hiding in the litter etc. We were advised by KNP Spokesman years ago not to be tempted to pick up litter and this was one of the reasons.
Sawubona
Dalene

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:49 am

Definitely just leave it. Even HRs have to do a short introductory course before they are pemitted to leave vehicles to pick up litter.....and then must have notified specific people that they are on litter patrol to avoid confusion. Full uniform and decals on the car are also required.

If the litter is right next to the road and you can pick it up without leaving the vehicle then use a plumber's claw thingy, or even a long pair of braai tongs to reach out and grab it. Do not under any circumstances use your hands or get out of the car.

You can also let the park officials know where the litter is when you reach the nearest camp or picnic site.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Tulagi

Unread post by Tulagi » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:40 am

I pick up most litter on the sides of the road... exceptions are toilet related items. Cool drink cans, beer bottles, and anything plastic get placed inside my nice brown paper bag and gets disposed at camp. I once saw a poor hapless snake that died after getting its head stuck in a can. So sad... :(

Do I know it is against the rules? Yes
Will I stop picking up litter? No

How may I become an HR so that I may legally continue doing what I know deep down is the correct thing? Does anyone have a link to an application form?
Jan 16 - Jan 19 (Biyamiti), Jan 20 - Jan 23 (Talamati), Jan 24 - Jan 27 (Tamboti).

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:49 am

Look under Special Interest Groups at the top of the page, click on Honorary Rangers, and then contact the branch nearest you for information. Look forward to having you on board!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Rooies wrote:I know that it is wrong, and I do apologize for that, but I can't drive past litter wthout picking it up. For fear of being mentioned in the "Gallery of shame", I wait untill there are no cars around and then get out and pick up the litter.

That is exactly what I did Rooies, on my last trip, but it backfired.....

I saw an energy drink bottle half drunk on the side of the road between Malelane & Skuk. I stopped, looked around and popped out of the car and picked it up. Just as I got to my door, a police car slid over the rise. :big_eyes: :slap:

The officer :rtm:

I got aggressive and told him what I thought of the gits who had caused me to do this darstardly deed :sniper:

He let me off with a warning. Now, if it is clearly not 'dangerous' litter, I stop right next to it and open the door slightly and pick it up. I will have to learn with a very heavy heart to drive on after reading the above.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

furbz

litter problem in Kruger

Unread post by furbz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi,

not sure if this is the right place to post this...

i recently got back from the park and am very disappointed in the state of the park.
it feels like a rubbish tip...

(we stayed in Lower Sabie rest camp)

on all our game drives i couldnt help but notice how many bottles are lying on the side of the road.
paper and plastic are also around but broken bottles and cans are now no longer as rare a sighting as they used to be.

i know we cant choose who to let into the park but is there not a clean up effort that is in place to help clean up the mess?

at one stage 10km out of Lower sabie i was seeing a bottle every 50m!!

i am also looking for the link for customer feedback but i suspect it is down at the moment.
if someone could help with this?

Thanks

Keith

Andy Evans

Re: litter problem in Kruger

Unread post by Andy Evans » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:23 am

Hi Keith,

Just to add my 10c worth - the take away packaging that the camps are using i.e. L S, Skuks, Pretoriuskop, Berg n Dal etc is 100% bio degradable. We supply it to Compass. :lol: :lol: :lol: It is made of sugar cane pulp which is a sustainable resource as sugar cane is harvested once a year. HOWEVER - this doesnt mean we can litter :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:49 pm

To look at the flip-side, I recall DB posting some stats on a major trash initiative that was undertaken (money, manpower) that yielded a relatively small pile of trash. Could the problem be isolated to a certain part of the park?
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb
Kruger Bound in May!
6-8 Berg-en-dal
9-11 Lower Sabie
12-14 Satara
15-17 Letaba
18-20 Tamboti
21-22 Skukuza

annapangolin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by annapangolin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:33 am

So much litter on the roads :( Makes me very sad.

Occasionally, I see guys walking along the roads picking it up :thumbs_up: . Not often enough though.

In the last week i've got out of the car several times to pick up things like plastic bags and beer bottles. I know i'm breaking rules, but I refuse to drive by things like that. Sadly, i'm seeing so many used nappies in the road :big_eyes: I don't pick those up. What goes through somebody's mind when they throw something like that out of a window?! :sniper: I also don't pick up the masses of toilet paper that litter the roads :(

I did let these guys hang on to their spoon though.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Not speeding - but tail gating

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Sometimes people "tail gate" behind you for some time and when they overtake you, you tail gate behind them again, almost as if they want to say :tongue: gotcha :D . But I know it is usually not like that as people in Kruger are by far mostly friendly but it can get a bit much if someone is driving on your tail feathers :? .
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

JanineVenter

Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread post by JanineVenter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:08 pm

I just got back from three weeks in the most beautiful place on earth and feel like I need a good rant... I was absolutely shocked and saddened by how many people in Kruger have no respect for the animals, each other or the park. I have never seen so much rubbish lying around, so many people speeding or so many inconsiderate people. In the past there was such a sense of community in the park! People shared their stories and sightings with strangers. This year people were loud and obnoxious, had no game driving etiquette or general manners. Several times we saw adults encouraging children to throw rocks at or chase the monkeys (who were not causing any trouble at any of these incidents, just sitting there peacefully). Some of the roads were so congested (especially the road between Skukuza and Lower Sabie and the S100). On these roads it was impossible to see anything! When something was sighted, people completely blocked the road off so no-one could get a peek or even just get past! I have also never seen so many people hanging out of their windows! I truly believe the rules need to be enforced more strenuously. This kind of behavior is unacceptable and ruins the park for everyone. And there should be more speed cameras! Speeding in Kruger is completely unacceptable! :rtm:

We also noticed a number of human "territory markings" on many of the river loops. This is just disgusting! First, it is blatantly clear that you are not supposed to get out of your vehicle. And second, leaving tissues and toilet paper there is unsightly, disgusting and disrespectful! In one memorable spot, less than 2km from Nkulhlu picnic sight we drove on a river loop only to discover a huge turd in the middle of the road! (And animals don't leave tissue behind!) Disgusting!

I love the Kruger Park more than anywhere else in the world and it saddens me to see it so disrespected. What happened to the good-natured community spirit of nature lovers? It seems to be turning into a resort where people speed from one big 5 sighting to another ignoring the bush atmosphere, small creatures (who are often squashed in the road) and other people. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences/opinions... :hmz: I hope it was just our bad luck or being there at a bad time!

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread post by cheetah2111 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 pm

JanineVenter wrote:We also noticed a number of human "territory markings" on many of the river loops. This is just disgusting! First, it is blatantly clear that you are not supposed to get out of your vehicle. And second, leaving tissues and toilet paper there is unsightly, disgusting and disrespectful! In one memorable spot, less than 2km from Nkulhlu picnic sight we drove on a river loop only to discover a huge turd in the middle of the road! (And animals don't leave tissue behind!) Disgusting!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
:( :( :(
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Re: No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread post by Crested Val » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Janine...............I agree with you 100%.
It is my favourite place in the whole wide world.
I have been visiting there since 1976, and sadly over the years have seen a different type of visitor emerge.

There are still many many visitors who have respect for the bush, it's inhabitants and other visitors, but sadly there are many that don't!! :wall:

We spend 4 months each year in Phalaborwa, and do day visits most days, so see on a regular basis people out of their cars in undesignated areas, selfish behaviour at sightings, speeding and littering...............however, I haven't yet seen anyone "marking their territory" but maybe next time............... :shock:

I don't want to sound like an old fart, and there are plenty of younger people who are very respectful of others, so I'm not being ageist, but I'm afraid we are now living in a world (not just in Kruger) where many people think the rules don't apply to them, and just think "Me me and me!! :rtm:

I do hope it didn't spoil your visit too much!! :)

Return to “Kruger National Park”