Skip to Content

Litter, speeding and general lawlessness in Kruger....

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Shidzidzii
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread postby Shidzidzii » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:15 am

My opinion is that the unrestricted influx is the result of the Wildcard. There are too many day trippers who are not serious about wildlife. There should be an entrance fee payable for each entry as it used to be and still is in Pilanesberg and KZN Ezimvelo parks.
Furthermore Wildcard admit they only have 72000 Wildcard holders properly registered and renewed on the new system. I feel many daytrippers are coming in on old cards or whatever for a free day jaunt - and dare I say this - happy to spoil the environment for others. The ban on alchohol in public was only the first step (and correctly so) to curb the bad behaviour.
Wildcard is wonderfull but it should only waive the entrance and day fees for resident guests.

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread postby PNF » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:21 am

Janine - it is this sort of behaviour that has soured the south for us. Yes, you do get it in the north of the park but in smaller quantities. We try not to go further south than Tsendze but it is not always possible.
Granny - good idea about restricting entry to those with wild cards but unfortunately some of these idiots also have wild cards....... and as this type of person appears to be illiterate, don't know whether signing a document at the gate is going to have much effect :wall:
There seems to be only one solution - :sniper:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:34 am

Janine I have also experienced some of those that you have mentioned. I guess I have to adjust to the new norms, standards and conduct of some visitors but I am not sure how to do it. I guess I have to concentrate on the good things and somehow ignore those not so good but I find it difficult to digest disrespect.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Nkulu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Nkulu » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:37 am

People like this should only have the privilege of seeing animals on television.
:thumbs_up:
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me

Skukuza cricket 3-5 March
Lower Sabie 6-7 March

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:06 am

mikev wrote:My opinion is that the unrestricted influx is the result of the Wildcard. There are too many day trippers who are not serious about wildlife. There should be an entrance fee payable for each entry as it used to be and still is in Pilanesberg and KZN Ezimvelo parks.
Furthermore Wildcard admit they only have 72000 Wildcard holders properly registered and renewed on the new system. I feel many daytrippers are coming in on old cards or whatever for a free day jaunt - and dare I say this - happy to spoil the environment for others. The ban on alchohol in public was only the first step (and correctly so) to curb the bad behaviour.
Wildcard is wonderfull but it should only waive the entrance and day fees for resident guests.

You hammered the nail right on the head!

Furthermore, stay away from the south during peak periods. In the North we had Kruger as it was in the old days. Shared sightings, no traffic jams, driving roads for 2.5 hours without seeing another car, lions in the road for 20mins all to ourselves.
Latest Lifer(s): Cape Rock-jumper, Grey Waxbill, Great Winged Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, Cory's Shearwater

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:42 am

mikev wrote:My opinion is that the unrestricted influx is the result of the Wildcard.
I feel many daytrippers are coming in on old cards or whatever for a free day jaunt -

:doh: :hmz: Wildcard expires after 12 months . Are you saying that people use old , expired wildcards to gain free access :hmz:

What is a " whatever " ? I want one of those too :)
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

pops

Unread postby pops » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:11 pm

Mikev. I cannot agree with your sentiments around wild cards. I have been visiting KNP since 1966 and have always enjoyed the soul refreshing that happens there. Now that I am a pensioner I can no longer afford the the cost of staying in the park, all that often, resulting in my SO and I and friends staying at timeshare. We are at the gate at opening time and more often than are amongst the last to leave just before the gates close after having spent the whole day driving around and soaking up the the peacefulness of the park.

I don't think that wild card holders are the cause of the congestion it is, in my opinion, day trippers on weekends who may be the cause.

OKIE I agree with your remarks.

DrPhil

Unread postby DrPhil » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Pops, I have to agree with you. The problem is the people coming into the park to race from camp to camp and hoping to see some roadblock with lions or a leopard. They are not there to relax and enjoy the tranquillity of the park. They want to tell their friends they were in Kruger.

The north of the park is a lot better than the south in that respect. Over Easter this year people near Skukuza gave me some crazy looks :big_eyes: for taking pictures of a kudu cow chewing on a bone. They couldn't belief someone stops if it is not a lion. At least we saw a Kudu playing lion :tongue:
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm

You should see the faces when you just pass a lion sighting. :lol:
We usually do that, unless it is special, like a kill or with mini lions around.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gmlsmit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:29 pm

The Wildcard has nothing to do with poor behavior or very little respect. Overcrowding has to do with increased day visitor quotas.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 151 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:55 pm

JanineVenter and Crested Val, your sentiments and experiences I share in every aspect. :cry: Kruger hasn't yet deteriorated to the point that it is too unpleasant to visit as a whole (and I would be devastated if it did reach that point; which, if the current trends are anything to go by, it may just), but there are times when I am at a loss for words at the behaviour that I see. In peak times, selfishness, speeding, and blatant disregard for rules and other visitors also peaks, and it seems that hundreds of guests are only interested in seeking that "wow" experience to chalk up on their Robinson-Crusoe post. Such "wow" experiences almost exclusively involve the big 5 for these "blind" visitors, such that what Kruger really is about is essentially lost to them. There is also often a "sheep syndrome" when congestion is at hand, so that a multitude will exhibit crass, narcissistic, and impudent behaviour en masse. This does not mean that there are still not thousands of people that are true bush lovers, but sadly, it is the disorderly that will spoil the wildlife experience of those who genuinely appreciate tranquility, harmony, and that magical and mysterious entity that people in the know call The Bush. Personally, I am doubtful that anything impactful can be done about the encroaching anarchical element, as it is becoming more and more prevalent, to the extent that only serious punitive measures and policing could curb such behaviour. To keep under consideration as to the likelihood of the latter, because of the huge amounts of income required to manage such a large park, Kruger may logically prefer to ensure that bed-occupation and total visitor numbers take priority. Furthermore, the balance between generation of income, managing of expenses, and control of dissident and unruly behaviour is a difficult one in any circumstances to pursue. I do not know what the practical answer is - and indeed if there is one - but I am increasingly inclined to visit my beloved Kruger out of season, to frequent less-travelled areas, and to associate with fellow wildlife lovers rather than the general hoi polloi.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread postby Crested Val » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:11 pm

OWN I fear that you are totally correct............that is why we very rarely visit the south now.
As some people know, we rent a cottage in Phalaborwa for four months each year and do day visits from there, with the occasional stay for a few nights in Shing or Punda.

Shidzidzee unless things have changed VERY recently all the KZN Ezemvelo Parks accept our SANparks Wildcard, or else you can pay conservation/entrance fees. :thumbs_up:
In my beloved South Africa!!!!.

Addo Feb 2-5 2016
Storms River Feb 5-8 2016
Kruger Feb 21-Mar 10th 2016

bert

Unread postby bert » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:22 pm

The ones creating the unpleasantness imo are those trying to do the big 5 in a day
Also see them in the quiet periods

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:46 pm

bert wrote:The ones creating the unpleasantness imo are those trying to do the big 5 in a day
Also see them in the quiet periods

Hey guys , how about if Kruger entrance gates are changed into " one-stop , big-5 " viewing areas :hmz: We could position some big 5 stuffed animals behind bushes in day-visitors areas at entrance gates , then they can see the big 5 "in natural surroundings " without even entering the park :doh:
It will solve a lot of problems - no congestion , no bad behaviour , no speeding , no getting out at sightings , no feeding of animals ........ ahhhhhh ...... real paradise :D
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:50 pm

:funny:

But, guaranteed that some maniac will hack off the stuffed rhino horn and elephant tusks. :whistle: :wall:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Return to “Kruger National Park”