Skip to Content

Litter, speeding and general lawlessness in Kruger....

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: What should I do when I see litter on the side of the ro

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Rooies wrote:I know that it is wrong, and I do apologize for that, but I can't drive past litter wthout picking it up. For fear of being mentioned in the "Gallery of shame", I wait untill there are no cars around and then get out and pick up the litter.

That is exactly what I did Rooies, on my last trip, but it backfired.....

I saw an energy drink bottle half drunk on the side of the road between Malelane & Skuk. I stopped, looked around and popped out of the car and picked it up. Just as I got to my door, a police car slid over the rise. :big_eyes: :slap:

The officer :rtm:

I got aggressive and told him what I thought of the gits who had caused me to do this darstardly deed :sniper:

He let me off with a warning. Now, if it is clearly not 'dangerous' litter, I stop right next to it and open the door slightly and pick it up. I will have to learn with a very heavy heart to drive on after reading the above.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

furbz

litter problem in Kruger

Unread post by furbz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi,

not sure if this is the right place to post this...

i recently got back from the park and am very disappointed in the state of the park.
it feels like a rubbish tip...

(we stayed in Lower Sabie rest camp)

on all our game drives i couldnt help but notice how many bottles are lying on the side of the road.
paper and plastic are also around but broken bottles and cans are now no longer as rare a sighting as they used to be.

i know we cant choose who to let into the park but is there not a clean up effort that is in place to help clean up the mess?

at one stage 10km out of Lower sabie i was seeing a bottle every 50m!!

i am also looking for the link for customer feedback but i suspect it is down at the moment.
if someone could help with this?

Thanks

Keith

Andy Evans

Re: litter problem in Kruger

Unread post by Andy Evans » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:23 am

Hi Keith,

Just to add my 10c worth - the take away packaging that the camps are using i.e. L S, Skuks, Pretoriuskop, Berg n Dal etc is 100% bio degradable. We supply it to Compass. :lol: :lol: :lol: It is made of sugar cane pulp which is a sustainable resource as sugar cane is harvested once a year. HOWEVER - this doesnt mean we can litter :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:49 pm

To look at the flip-side, I recall DB posting some stats on a major trash initiative that was undertaken (money, manpower) that yielded a relatively small pile of trash. Could the problem be isolated to a certain part of the park?
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

annapangolin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by annapangolin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:33 am

So much litter on the roads :( Makes me very sad.

Occasionally, I see guys walking along the roads picking it up :thumbs_up: . Not often enough though.

In the last week i've got out of the car several times to pick up things like plastic bags and beer bottles. I know i'm breaking rules, but I refuse to drive by things like that. Sadly, i'm seeing so many used nappies in the road :big_eyes: I don't pick those up. What goes through somebody's mind when they throw something like that out of a window?! :sniper: I also don't pick up the masses of toilet paper that litter the roads :(

I did let these guys hang on to their spoon though.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Not speeding - but tail gating

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Sometimes people "tail gate" behind you for some time and when they overtake you, you tail gate behind them again, almost as if they want to say :tongue: gotcha :D . But I know it is usually not like that as people in Kruger are by far mostly friendly but it can get a bit much if someone is driving on your tail feathers :? .
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

JanineVenter

Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread post by JanineVenter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:08 pm

I just got back from three weeks in the most beautiful place on earth and feel like I need a good rant... I was absolutely shocked and saddened by how many people in Kruger have no respect for the animals, each other or the park. I have never seen so much rubbish lying around, so many people speeding or so many inconsiderate people. In the past there was such a sense of community in the park! People shared their stories and sightings with strangers. This year people were loud and obnoxious, had no game driving etiquette or general manners. Several times we saw adults encouraging children to throw rocks at or chase the monkeys (who were not causing any trouble at any of these incidents, just sitting there peacefully). Some of the roads were so congested (especially the road between Skukuza and Lower Sabie and the S100). On these roads it was impossible to see anything! When something was sighted, people completely blocked the road off so no-one could get a peek or even just get past! I have also never seen so many people hanging out of their windows! I truly believe the rules need to be enforced more strenuously. This kind of behavior is unacceptable and ruins the park for everyone. And there should be more speed cameras! Speeding in Kruger is completely unacceptable! :rtm:

We also noticed a number of human "territory markings" on many of the river loops. This is just disgusting! First, it is blatantly clear that you are not supposed to get out of your vehicle. And second, leaving tissues and toilet paper there is unsightly, disgusting and disrespectful! In one memorable spot, less than 2km from Nkulhlu picnic sight we drove on a river loop only to discover a huge turd in the middle of the road! (And animals don't leave tissue behind!) Disgusting!

I love the Kruger Park more than anywhere else in the world and it saddens me to see it so disrespected. What happened to the good-natured community spirit of nature lovers? It seems to be turning into a resort where people speed from one big 5 sighting to another ignoring the bush atmosphere, small creatures (who are often squashed in the road) and other people. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences/opinions... :hmz: I hope it was just our bad luck or being there at a bad time!

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread post by cheetah2111 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 pm

JanineVenter wrote:We also noticed a number of human "territory markings" on many of the river loops. This is just disgusting! First, it is blatantly clear that you are not supposed to get out of your vehicle. And second, leaving tissues and toilet paper there is unsightly, disgusting and disrespectful! In one memorable spot, less than 2km from Nkulhlu picnic sight we drove on a river loop only to discover a huge turd in the middle of the road! (And animals don't leave tissue behind!) Disgusting!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
:( :( :(
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Janine...............I agree with you 100%.
It is my favourite place in the whole wide world.
I have been visiting there since 1976, and sadly over the years have seen a different type of visitor emerge.

There are still many many visitors who have respect for the bush, it's inhabitants and other visitors, but sadly there are many that don't!! :wall:

We spend 4 months each year in Phalaborwa, and do day visits most days, so see on a regular basis people out of their cars in undesignated areas, selfish behaviour at sightings, speeding and littering...............however, I haven't yet seen anyone "marking their territory" but maybe next time............... :shock:

I don't want to sound like an old fart, and there are plenty of younger people who are very respectful of others, so I'm not being ageist, but I'm afraid we are now living in a world (not just in Kruger) where many people think the rules don't apply to them, and just think "Me me and me!! :rtm:

I do hope it didn't spoil your visit too much!! :)

JanineVenter

Unread post by JanineVenter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks Val! :D

I am glad to know I am not alone!

And absolutely nothing could spoil a trip to Kruger! :D I'd always rather be there than anywhere else!

Just wish people would have a bit more respect...

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:29 pm

You most definitely are not alone!
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 156 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by flying cheetah » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:45 pm

And the worst thing is that there is very little hope that things get any better in the future :(
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tent dweller » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Having just spent 14 days in the Kruger we saw some of the most"selfish" behaviour ever. A massive herd of buffalo were crossing the road after having their evening drink somewhere along the Tsendze river. There were 3 cars including us, all waiting patiently, taking photographs and enjoying the sighting, next thing Mr and Mrs "I don't give a damn" arrive, they start hooting and edging their vehicle in the way of the buffalo and eventually the herd broke up after much confusion and off the "selfish" people went. The buffalo were all scared and had to regroup again. People like this should only have the privilege of seeing animals on television.
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

topgunhorse

Unread post by topgunhorse » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi tent dweller, Ithink I'd have photoed their actions instead, and reported them at the next camp!
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

granny

Unread post by granny » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:46 am

Hi Janine, couldn't agree with you more! People don't seem to realize that to visit the Park is a privilege not a right . Why don't they just go to a zoo if they are not going to appreciate EVERY aspect of the Park. Sanparks should perhaps consider that,instead of issuing us with the entry permit where the rules are in fairly small print, have them on a separate piece of paper that must be read and signed at the desk. Or perhaps restrict entry only to people with wild cards. Perhaps the cost would put the idiots off. I know that would never happen, but it would certainly separate the true lovers of the Park from the meat eater sighting chasers.

Return to “Kruger National Park”