Skip to Content

Litter, speeding and general lawlessness in Kruger....

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
JanineVenter

Re: No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread post by JanineVenter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks Val! :D

I am glad to know I am not alone!

And absolutely nothing could spoil a trip to Kruger! :D I'd always rather be there than anywhere else!

Just wish people would have a bit more respect...

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:29 pm

You most definitely are not alone!
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 159 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by flying cheetah » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:45 pm

And the worst thing is that there is very little hope that things get any better in the future :(
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tent dweller » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Having just spent 14 days in the Kruger we saw some of the most"selfish" behaviour ever. A massive herd of buffalo were crossing the road after having their evening drink somewhere along the Tsendze river. There were 3 cars including us, all waiting patiently, taking photographs and enjoying the sighting, next thing Mr and Mrs "I don't give a damn" arrive, they start hooting and edging their vehicle in the way of the buffalo and eventually the herd broke up after much confusion and off the "selfish" people went. The buffalo were all scared and had to regroup again. People like this should only have the privilege of seeing animals on television.
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

topgunhorse

Unread post by topgunhorse » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi tent dweller, Ithink I'd have photoed their actions instead, and reported them at the next camp!
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

granny

Unread post by granny » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:46 am

Hi Janine, couldn't agree with you more! People don't seem to realize that to visit the Park is a privilege not a right . Why don't they just go to a zoo if they are not going to appreciate EVERY aspect of the Park. Sanparks should perhaps consider that,instead of issuing us with the entry permit where the rules are in fairly small print, have them on a separate piece of paper that must be read and signed at the desk. Or perhaps restrict entry only to people with wild cards. Perhaps the cost would put the idiots off. I know that would never happen, but it would certainly separate the true lovers of the Park from the meat eater sighting chasers.

Shidzidzii
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Shidzidzii » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:15 am

My opinion is that the unrestricted influx is the result of the Wildcard. There are too many day trippers who are not serious about wildlife. There should be an entrance fee payable for each entry as it used to be and still is in Pilanesberg and KZN Ezimvelo parks.
Furthermore Wildcard admit they only have 72000 Wildcard holders properly registered and renewed on the new system. I feel many daytrippers are coming in on old cards or whatever for a free day jaunt - and dare I say this - happy to spoil the environment for others. The ban on alchohol in public was only the first step (and correctly so) to curb the bad behaviour.
Wildcard is wonderfull but it should only waive the entrance and day fees for resident guests.

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:21 am

Janine - it is this sort of behaviour that has soured the south for us. Yes, you do get it in the north of the park but in smaller quantities. We try not to go further south than Tsendze but it is not always possible.
Granny - good idea about restricting entry to those with wild cards but unfortunately some of these idiots also have wild cards....... and as this type of person appears to be illiterate, don't know whether signing a document at the gate is going to have much effect :wall:
There seems to be only one solution - :sniper:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:34 am

Janine I have also experienced some of those that you have mentioned. I guess I have to adjust to the new norms, standards and conduct of some visitors but I am not sure how to do it. I guess I have to concentrate on the good things and somehow ignore those not so good but I find it difficult to digest disrespect.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:37 am

People like this should only have the privilege of seeing animals on television.
:thumbs_up:
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me

Shingwedzi 24-27 December 2016
Tamboti 28 to 30 December 2016
Olifant's 31 December 2016
Skukuza 01.01.2017 :clap: Lake Panic

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:06 am

mikev wrote:My opinion is that the unrestricted influx is the result of the Wildcard. There are too many day trippers who are not serious about wildlife. There should be an entrance fee payable for each entry as it used to be and still is in Pilanesberg and KZN Ezimvelo parks.
Furthermore Wildcard admit they only have 72000 Wildcard holders properly registered and renewed on the new system. I feel many daytrippers are coming in on old cards or whatever for a free day jaunt - and dare I say this - happy to spoil the environment for others. The ban on alchohol in public was only the first step (and correctly so) to curb the bad behaviour.
Wildcard is wonderfull but it should only waive the entrance and day fees for resident guests.

You hammered the nail right on the head!

Furthermore, stay away from the south during peak periods. In the North we had Kruger as it was in the old days. Shared sightings, no traffic jams, driving roads for 2.5 hours without seeing another car, lions in the road for 20mins all to ourselves.
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by okie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:42 am

mikev wrote:My opinion is that the unrestricted influx is the result of the Wildcard.
I feel many daytrippers are coming in on old cards or whatever for a free day jaunt -

:doh: :hmz: Wildcard expires after 12 months . Are you saying that people use old , expired wildcards to gain free access :hmz:

What is a " whatever " ? I want one of those too :)
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

pops

Unread post by pops » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:11 pm

Mikev. I cannot agree with your sentiments around wild cards. I have been visiting KNP since 1966 and have always enjoyed the soul refreshing that happens there. Now that I am a pensioner I can no longer afford the the cost of staying in the park, all that often, resulting in my SO and I and friends staying at timeshare. We are at the gate at opening time and more often than are amongst the last to leave just before the gates close after having spent the whole day driving around and soaking up the the peacefulness of the park.

I don't think that wild card holders are the cause of the congestion it is, in my opinion, day trippers on weekends who may be the cause.

OKIE I agree with your remarks.

DrPhil

Unread post by DrPhil » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Pops, I have to agree with you. The problem is the people coming into the park to race from camp to camp and hoping to see some roadblock with lions or a leopard. They are not there to relax and enjoy the tranquillity of the park. They want to tell their friends they were in Kruger.

The north of the park is a lot better than the south in that respect. Over Easter this year people near Skukuza gave me some crazy looks :big_eyes: for taking pictures of a kudu cow chewing on a bone. They couldn't belief someone stops if it is not a lion. At least we saw a Kudu playing lion :tongue:
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm

You should see the faces when you just pass a lion sighting. :lol:
We usually do that, unless it is special, like a kill or with mini lions around.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Return to “Kruger National Park”