Skip to Content

Info overload

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
bocorcorain

Info overload

Unread post by bocorcorain » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Hi all,

I have been reading non stop for a few days now and it is all getting a bit much.

My wife and I will be going to KNP for the first time next March.

We should arrive in Skukuza airport at lunchtime on the 28th.
We will leave on the 31st from Nelspruit after 4pm.

We will pick up a car at the airport, I take it Skukuza makes the most sense to stay in on our first night? Is the sunset drive a good option?
I was thinking to then spend the next 2 nights in Lower Sabie camp.

Does this make sense - or would you recommend a different route?
We plan on staying in the Sanpark rest camps - I have looked at availability and most have some availability on our days still.

If it is not obvious from the post I feel a little overwhelmed. I would prefer to have more time but this is all we can manage this time.

Thank you in advance

Elsa

Re: Info overload

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:40 pm

Warm welcome to the forum bocorcorain! :clap:

Arriving at lunch time you would still have time to drive to Satara for the first nights as that is a very good area and then if there is availability, Lower Sabie a very good option for your next 2 nights!
A night drive at either of those camps will be good but of course one doesn't know just what one will see on any particular drive, its the luck of the draw.
Maybe keep the drive for the next night and just relax on the first night which will take the stress out of having to arrive in time.

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Your plans sound just fine to me Skukuza is a good first night choice and if you feel you want ,book the Sunset or night drive when you arrive to book in . and Lower Sabie is great too Both camps are surrounded by many roads that can be full of game . 2 nights there would be just fine .
Please book soon as the camps book up very quickly
Happy planning
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

bocorcorain

Unread post by bocorcorain » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:58 pm

Thank you so much for the replies

One more question - if I stay in Lower Sabie on the last night and need to be in Nelspruit airport for 3pm what time would I have to be leaving the park to get to the airport - any recommendations on the route to drive to make the most of my time in the park?

Or should I see around Lower Sabie in the morning leave via crocodile bridge and drive the N4?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:09 pm

I would leave Lower Sabie early and drive down to Malelane gate on the tar roads, giving you more time in the park.
but it really all depends on how much time and which routes you want to explore as your last few hours in the park.
Not sure if you have read Traveling to/from KMI airport

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:29 pm

Nelspruit Airport (KMIA) is easily reached from either Croc Bridge or Malelane Gates - it is N4 all the way until just before Nelspruit, where you will see a sign for the airport which is 11kms from this turning.

It is very easy driving, and it is a beautiful little airport with thatched roof, though it still has all modern conveniences.

I would agree with Elsa that to give you the longest time in the park on your last day, a drive from Lower Sabie to Malelane on the tar roads would be the better option, though I'm sure others will tell you to drive the gravel roads.
The choice is yours.

All the camps have their merits, but as your time is so short, your options are more limited.

The least busy option would be Skukuza on the first night then Lower Sabie, as Satara is quite a long drive.
However the predator sightings are usually very good around Satara, so if you think you won't mind the journey, then go for it!!!

Whatever you decide, I wish you a happy and safe trip, with many wonderful sightings. :thumbs_up:

We look forward to hearing all about it sometime. :popcorn: :popcorn:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:22 am

A warm welcome, Bocorcorain.

You have received very good advice and all I can really do is add to what has been said.

You will be staying in an area offering a super variety of roads. The S28 is one of my favorites. You can explore that from Lower Sabie. I also recommend taking the H10 to Thsokwane and stopping at the lovely Nkumbe view site.

In terms of your last day, I will go with what Elsa and Val have said, stick to tar. I have frequently made a wrong turn on one of the gravel roads in that area and ended up short on time. It is not something that you want to do if you are needing to be at the airport.

The tar roads will offer plenty of opportunities. Enjoy. :D
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

bocorcorain

Unread post by bocorcorain » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I really appreciate it.

One final question (for now at least) when booking accomodation do we pay up front for everything whether we book online or over the phone?

Thank you again

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:16 pm

You only have to pay for everything immediately if you book via the On line service but you do get 5% discount on those bookings.
If you book on the phone or via the e-mail method you have a staggered payment schedule but no discount unless you are a S.A pensioner!

Booking methods

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kallis1786 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi Bocorcorain

Firstly a huge welcome to our Forum Family.

You have been given such wonderful advice, and your plan is perfect. I also agree with MM, I once had taken a gravel road staying at Lower Sabie, and wanted to exit Numbi, I ended up being late for the gate and a hefty fine was presented to me.

So please do remember Kruger is a great place to adventure in, but always be on track of time, what I normally do is keep my Sat Nav on, and its always set to the camp or gate I want to exit at, so it shows me arrival time as per the parks speed limits, so I know exactly how much time I have on what speeds to drive on, so keep that in mind.

Hope you have a lovely time in Kruger. Enjoy it to the fullest.

bocorcorain

Unread post by bocorcorain » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Thanks again for all the advice. Booked our accomodation today over the phone.
Skukuza for the first night and then Lower Sabie.

I'm sure I will be back with more questions before the trip

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:09 pm

Hi Bocorcorain,

You have so little time, so an excellent idea to just stay in 1 or 2 camps. I personally would only stay in one camp for the 3 days!

Skukuza is very central.

You can easily do a day trip up to just South of Satara, have a lovely picnic lunch at Tshokwane, drive back down the H10 to Lower Sabie (if you are not exhausted by then... lol) and do the exciting H4-1 back to Skukuza.
Or you could do a fabulous morning drive down to Lower Sabie and return via one of the dirt roads like s21 back to S114 Renosterkoppies, have a breakfast on top of Matekenyane rock, and be back at Skukuza by 11h00. Relax in camp and do a short drive to Lake Panic bird hide close by, and be back in time for a sunset drive...

My favourite option is to do the H11 towards Kruger Gate, and turn left onto the S1, then the S65 dirt road that is brilliant for lions, wild dogs, rhinos etc. to the H1-1. Turn right for 5 km to Transport dam for cheetahs, lions etc.
Then back on the H1-1 towars Skukuza and Matekenyane rock en route, or take a short detour south on the H3 for about 4 km, then turn left to Renosterkoppies dam and back on S114 to Skukuza.

Best advice is to actually see what the Sightings boards have to tell you, and ask around a lot, then let your instinct guide you where to go...

Enjoy!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hósten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Return to “Kruger National Park”