Skip to Content

Visiting Kruger - where to sleep 4/5 day stay

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Julie in the wild

Visiting Kruger - where to sleep 4/5 day stay

Unread post by Julie in the wild » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:55 am

Hi there!

In Feb 2018, my husband and I will be visiting the Kruger National Park. Since there is so much information online, I am kind of lost in the dark on where to go.

We will be staying for 4 of 5 nights and I was wondering which camps to stay at to have the best of luck spotting the big five and a large range of other wild animals. As for our stay, we have a moderate sleeping budget and would like for a 1 bedroom stay with a private bathroom (and maybe kitchenette).
I think it is best to move camps during our stay?

We will also be visiting Addo Elephant park and go to table mountain. Does the Wild Card apply for that or is it as a foreigner, more advantageous to just buy entrance for each of them separately?

Thanks so much for helping out!

Julie

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Visiting Kruger - where to sleep 4/5 day stay

Unread post by PNF » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:28 am

Welcome to the forum, Julie-in-the-wild!
You don't mention whether you are driving down from Johannesburg or flying into Nelspruit/Skukuza so am working on you arriving by car from Jo'burg.
Would suggest, as a first time visitor, that you look at 2 nights Lower Sabie followed by 2 nights Satara and finally 1 night either at Skukuza or Pretoriuskop. You should see the Big 5 - well.......at least 4 of them - Leopards are always difficult :) Take at least 1 night/late afternoon drive to get to see some of the nocturnal animals/birds.
As you will also be visiting both Addo and Table Mountain, a Wild Card will ultimately save you some money. Someone once calculated that if you spend or enter a park more than 6 times then a Wild Card pays for itself - don't forget that the conservation fee is the same whether you stay overnight or are only visiting for the day.

Enjoy planning your trip!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:28 am

Welcome to the forum Julie!
Your Wildcard will give you access to Addo and Table Mountain.

The South of the Park has the most game, so it may be better to book camps there.

Skukuza, Lower Sabie, and Crocodile bridge are all camps that I have stayed at, and they are all fantastic.
There are various bungalows available. When I stay in Skukuza I normally choose BE2. 2 beds, own bathroom, communal kitcen, braai, and Skukkuza has the fantastic Cattle Baron restaurant.
https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/c ... bility.php

I am sure you will find suitable options for Lower Sabie and Croc bridge as well.

You can and should also think about travelling a little north to Satara. It is also a fabulous area of the park with lots of game.

I also try to stay at least 2 nights at a camp - it gives you time to explore the area around the camp a little more, and you do not have to pack and unpack every day when you move camps.

I hope you can find suitable accommodation for you and your SO and will come back and tell us all about your trip!

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:43 am

I would book asap though February is one of the quieter months as all the schools are back .. .
the Table mountain National park includes the Mountain and the penguins and Cape point plus much more ... the mountain cable way you have to pay for, If you walk up it costs nothing no Wild card needed there . Kirstenbosch the Botanical garden does not come under Sanparks , the Silvermine area likes to see the wild card lovely lake up there and picnic spot and great hikes ) Its off the of ou Kaapseweg The West coast National park also uses the Wild card .. this park is only about an hour from Cape Town up the west coast . Nice bird hides there and the Langabaan lagoon . and super picnic area on the rocks . From Blouberg you have excellent views of the mountain . Cape Nature will also accept the wild card .
Addo is a super Park and you will see ellies there . and if your are lucky some of the hairy and scary animals too
Happy booking
When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to your youth, think of algebra … !!!!!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:10 am

Warm welcome to the forum Julie! :clap:

Just remember Feb is a very hot time of year so if you are not used to high temps, accommodation with air con is essentail.

Have a look through the Availability for Feb at the various main camps and I'm sure you will be able to put together a nice itinerary on the advice you have been given already.
Agree with staying 2 nights per camp and also more in the south of the park for your first visit.
Good luck and do ask if there is anything further we can help with. :thumbs_up:

Julie in the wild

Unread post by Julie in the wild » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:01 pm

Waauw, thanks so much for your quick and kind replies!

I will look into all of this, looking even more forward to our stay now.

Julie

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:42 pm

A very warm welcome :gflower:

I really cannot do better in terms of advice. Personally, I think Lower Sabie, Satara and Skukuza are great for beginners. Skukuza offers the museum, the nursery and Lake Panic bird hide as an extra bonus.

Happy planning and enjoy your stay.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:34 am

Hi Julie and Welcome!

My first question is where are you travelling from and how much time will you have in South Africa? My advice for visitors from the US (and even from Europe) is to allow enough time to recover from the inevitable jet lag, as those long long flights are extremely arduous. There are many things that will affect overseas visitors, especially firsttimers, that Saffies would never think of. For example, will this be your first time driving on the left? For many this is a difficult/demanding adjustment and not easily done on unfamiliar highways.

The advice that you've been given about the KNP camps is excellent, but you must always remember that no sightings are guaranteed, it's all about luck and right place, right time. That said, in the south and central parts of the park you're likely to see most of the big 5 (as someone else said, leopards are always tricky) and much else. Kruger is an amazing place!

Another question is how you plan to travel between KNP, Addo and the Cape. If you will be driving you need to allow ample time as South Africa is a big country and you will also often encounter roadworks on long drives. So you need to be prepared for the distances and the delays.

The reason that I ask how much time you'll have in the country is because I'd advise any first-time visitor to not try to do too much in a limited time. You really don't want to be always rushing to fit everything in. Rather, you need time to enjoy where you are and to allow for the unanticipated discoveries that often prove to be the highlight of a trip.

You'll get plenty of (highly knowledgeable) advice here, so do please keep asking questions. And have a great trip!
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
11-29 November RMS St Helena: St Helena & Ascension
29-30 November Cape Town
1 December-21 January Darling

Return to “Kruger National Park”