Skip to Content

Going south to north then back south routing

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
MSI

Going south to north then back south routing

Unread post by MSI » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi. Looking for ideas for routes and places to stay starting in the south of Kruger, going to the far north, then exiting through the south again.

Last year I stayed at Berg-N- Dal to Croc Bridge, to Olifants and Mopani. Mopani was as far north as I got.

This year I was thinking Pretoriuskop, to Olifants, to Punda Maria. Then on return, Punda Maria to Letaba, to Lower Sabie, to Berg-N-Dal.

I've got a few drives in there that are close to 8 hours, but I found my drive last year from Croc Bridge to Olifants of 8 hours to be very enjoyable. Last year I always left camp at gate opening time and returned just before gates close. I was driving for well over 13 hours per day. I loved it. Anyhow, I am looking for suggestions about my planned route. I am only looking to stay in places with bungalos, air conditioning and private bath. After how hot it was last year, I was sure glad I had A/C in the room!

Looking to be in the park around the 3rd week in November and stay 14 to 18 or so days. Any input on my itinerary is appreciated!

Thanks-

Dream Weaver
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Going south to north then back south routing

Unread post by Dream Weaver » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:06 am

Hi MSI

You seem like a person after my own heart!

This year we are planning to start in the middle at Shimuwini, then move south to Lower Sabie, back to the middle to Satara, all the way up from there to Pafuri, then Punda, then Olifants, Biyamiti, Malelane and Skukuza.

Last year we started at Shimuwini, went north to Punda then made our south to Biyamiti via Satara and ended up back in the central area at Balule and Olifants.

The long drives between camps are, as you say, enjoyable. The secret is to start early and stop wherever possible to stretch and walk around a bit.

We like to stay at least four nights at each camp. That way we can take things easy the first day and reacquaint ourselves properly with an area while there.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:37 am

What we did once for our Dream Trip was to start in the south, making our way up the park more or less skipping every second camp and then coming back down filled in on the skipped camps, if that makes any sense but it seemed to work quite well for us.
but then we were in the park for a month which does make it a bit easier.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:53 am

It sounds goo to me. November can be extremely hot, so aircon will make it much more pleasant.

I must say that you have chosen my favorite month. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

ROTTWEILER

Unread post by ROTTWEILER » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:18 pm

Hi MSI

Planning something very similar in a couple of years , but will be going for 28 days in April/May . We will disembark at Skukuza airport before driving to Pretoriorskop for 5 days . From there it will be 3 days at Letaba , 6 at Shingwedzi , 4 at Balule and finishing with a 10 day stint at Lower Sabie . Very much looking forward to it . I am sure you are aware that what fuels the excitement of the trip is the planning and organising of the journey itself . I wish you well - safe journey .

Return to “Kruger National Park”