Skip to Content

Wireless 3G Internet & Cell phone Access

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Scrubrobin

Re: Wireless 3G Internet & Cell phone Access

Unread post by Scrubrobin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks Dinky Bird & Nighthawk for your info. I think I got B4itravel & Vodacom confused - didn't realise they were separate things. I think I've got the hang of it now - Vodacom don't charge for rental, but are a bit more expensive for data. B4itravel have cheaper data but you have to buy a modem from them or bring your own. I have just ordered a Huawei modem, but will probably cancel it as Vodacom will work out slightly cheaper for what I want.
I much preferred it when going bush meant leaving technology behind!

cheetahlady
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:20 am

Hi Scrubrobin,

We have an unlocked Huewei mobile wifi that we purchased a few years back. Useful if you travel a bit, otherwise better to rent one.

I would not count on being able to use the sim on more than one device as some dongles/wifi modems use standard sims where most phones use micro or nano sims.

I use b4itravel because of the controls on SIM cards etc. You will need to make sure that the Vodacom branch you use is used to dealing with foreign visitors, otherwise it could be a problem (had a struggle at Hyde Park shopping center a few years back). SA has more restrictive controls on mobile sims than many other countries. I pay a bit more at b4itravel, but it takes me at most 10 minutes to pick up the SIM card, have it activated and buy data time. All the admin is done pre-arrival.

As far a signal in the park, I found mid-day best for a good signal at busy camps like Satara and Lower Sabie. Early evening was very slow, probably because of the higher demand on the towers.

Enjoy.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Lower Sabie, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

Scrubrobin

Unread post by Scrubrobin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi Cheetah Lady,
Thanks for your info - thanks to everyone who posts all the useful stuff here! Good to know about quieter times for getting on the 'net. I have ended up renting a modem from Vodacom - I emailed them & was told there were some very good special offers on, so I was very lucky. I have also got an airtime only SIM from B4itravel with international calling. It may end up being a bit of overkill, but with the offer from Vodacom it was silly not to - & I am leaving my better half at home, so I absolutely have to be in contact!
Leaving for the airport in an hour, yellow ribbon at the ready, working my way from north to south of Kruger from 1-17th November. SO excited!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:48 pm

Do have a fantastic trip Scrubrobin! :thumbs_up:

Return to “Kruger National Park”