Planning new trip to KNP and looking for information/advice

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
charbel
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Planning new trip to KNP and looking for information/advice

Unread post by charbel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Dear 'mites,
Sooner than I thought (oh that's so good!) I begin planning next visit to KNP, now with whole family, including my daughter, who will be 5 years and 9 months old at the time!

The best time for us to go seem to be from Feb 13th to March 2nd 2018, because it overlaps carnival here, when my daughter will not have classes, and the end of the semester at the university.

I really want to go back to KNP in summer. So, that's great. But I've been there last time in summer from Jan 3rd to 14th.

So, my question is:
Is february, in the time slot I mentioned above, very different from january, when it comes to:
- Rain
- Malaria
- Possibility of seeing cubs and youngster animals
- Diversity of birds and other animals in the park?

I thank you in advance for the help.

Cheers
Charbel

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Planning new trip to KNP and looking for information/advice

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Charbel, you must be so excited to be planning your trip!
February can be very wet, but after our drought, one shoul not complain.
I've never travelled to KNP with such a child, and because Feb will still be wet, I suggest you discuss malaria medicine with your medical practitioner- especially since your kiddy is so young.

Feb may be a little cooler than Jan - hopefully. It may also be the end of the breeding season for most antelope species, but you should still see lots of young animals! But your chances of seeing lots of animals is still high!

I hope you enjoy your planning!

Cecilec
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Cecilec » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:01 pm

So, my question is:
Is february, in the time slot I mentioned above, very different from january, when it comes to:
- Rain
- Malaria
- Possibility of seeing cubs and youngster animals
- Diversity of birds and other animals in the park?

I thank you in advance for the help.

Cheers
Charbel

Hi Charbel,

we had in 2016 in february no rain just drought, it was sooooo awefull, seeing annimals dying ,so we decided not to go this year in february,and see its raining cats and dogs at the moment. Flora and Fauna will love it. :clap: :clap:

Malaria, like Karin writes, just aske your Doctor because he knows you and can tell you what to do.
We do not take anything but we cover our bodies in the evening and use" no bite" and our sundowner will also help :dance:

We saw lots of cubs ,for us we do always at the end the southern part because of more chances of Annimals but we were surprised to see also lots of annimals up north.In February 2016 You have your children who will love to find them ,drive just slow. My husband is a birder and he will go back to KNP because he sure saw a lot but not enough Birds . :dance: :dance:
It is what we love, to spot Annimals and we sure are surprised where they hide :dance:

Cheers
Cécile :gflower:
19.04.-21.04.17 Berg en Dal
21.04.-25.04.17 Crocodile Bridge
25.04.-30.04.17 SATARA
30.04.-06.05.17 LETABA
06.05.-08.05.17 Lower Sabi
08.05.-10.05.17 Crocodile Bridge

[b] "Try to have always your ducks in a row."
[/b]

charbel
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by charbel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:26 am

Dear Karin and Cécile
Thanks for the helpful information.
About malaria, I have been reading that the risks are decreasing in a steady basis. One of my friends is a malaria researcher and when I went to the park in the summer in 2011, she told me it wouldn't be better not to take the prophylactics (100% chance of damaging your liver) because the chances of contracting malaria were low (she estimated 4-5%). She gave me pills to combat malaria so that, if we had any suggestive symptom, we should take it to have chance to escape if some misdiagnosis might happen... I will consult with her again.

other than that, it is using repellant and protecting with clothes, especially between dusk and dawn....

Good to discuss the issue with you!

Cheers
Charbel

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:20 am

We are here in the park at present Charbel and the weather has been wonderful, definitely cooler than in previous years with lots of rain and overcast conditions, but could be a result of the drought that has recently broken and the cyclone that passed over the park 2 weeks ago.
I would say the dates you are suggesting will be fine, even tho the bush and grass is extremely thick this time of year one can see all the birds in full breeding plumage including all the summer migrants.
You do miss the very young newly born Impala but many other young can be around at this time, lots of lion and other cubs.
Plus its not a very busy time of year for visitors so the roads and sightings are not as congested as at other times.

charbel
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by charbel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Dear Elsa
Thanks for the additional quite relevant information: that the park is not so busy this time of the year!

Cheers
Charbel

charbel
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by charbel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Dear 'mites
Planning planning... Last time I've been in Olifants I stayed in a fantastic bungalow with a view to the river (BBD2V). Now I will travel with my wife and 5 years daughter. The best views in Olifants are bungalows BBD2V and BD2V, but their base rate is 2. Do you know if there is any possibility that a couple with a small child like ours can reserve them?

Cheers
Charbel

charbel
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by charbel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:38 am

One additional information: easily our daughter sleeps in the same bed with us....

Cheers
Charbel

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:14 am

Hi Charbel, I have experienced a very open attitude from Kruger when an extra person is added. I think that as long as you pay and take responsibility for a mattress, or sharing a bed, there should be no problem. I have done this at Skukuza and seen others do it at Lower Sabie. They are particularly understanding when it comes to young children.

March is really a lovely and lush month when there is no drought. The edge has also been taken off the heat, so the intensity of summer has disappeared. Your daughter will probably enjoy relaxing and playing in the pool between drives.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

charbel
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by charbel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Dear Meandering Mouse
Thanks for the information. Great!
I think she will love the pools. That's why we will stay only in main camps.... We cannot expect she will stay the whole day in the car. But I myself have been thinking of exploring more inside the camps for birds...

An additional query for you and the other (quite helpful) 'mites:

I saw children are accepted in game drives. Is there an age limit, or any children (say, older than 2 years)?

Cheers
Charbel

charbel
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by charbel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Dear 'mites.
One more information: just to confirm, if we get a Family Wild Card, we don't have to pay the daily conservation fees in KNP?

Cheers
Charbel

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:09 am

That is correct Charbel, the wild card covers your conservation fees. :thumbs_up:

charbel
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by charbel » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Dear Elsa
Thanks!

Cheers
Charbel

charbel
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by charbel » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Dear 'mites
I'd like to ask for two additional information:

- What is the age limit for a child to go on a guided game drive (morning, sunset or night drives)?

- I saw there is an all-day-drive available. This may be helpful for us because it may be that some time a large part of us is tired and want to stay in the camps. I am the one who will always want to go out and do game drives. And.... I don't drive. So I am looking for information on this all-day-drive but I couldn't find it. Here it is:

How much does it cost?
Can we arrange this on the spot, when we are there in camp, or is it only available by previous reservation?

I thank you in advance for all the help.

Cheers
Charbel

Hazel Everitt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hazel Everitt » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi Charbel

Last year we took my 3 1/2 year old son with us to Kruger. We went in July, so didnt have the worry of heat and malaria, etc. He loved it!
We did take a lot of entertainment with for him in the car, and stopped at picnic spots for him to stretch his legs.

I am sure your daughter will love Kruger and seeing all the animals!

Return to “Kruger National Park”