Skip to Content

Travelling to/from KMIAirport.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Shutterbug

Re: SAA carry on limit

Unread post by Shutterbug » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:10 pm

We have done that flight every year for the past 10 years from Vancouver Island in Canada and to be quite honest the JNB-KMIA leg is the easiest of them all, never had my carry-on (which is my camera bag) weighed or questioned in any way. Once through Johannesburg security I normally take out 1 body + 100-400 lens and that goes over my shoulder, the carry-on is then locked and handed to the baggage handler as I board the plane. I have the Kata 3N1-30 which is not a small bag and most of the time I am allowed to put it in the overhead bin on the plane. In February we will be flying directly into Skukuza for the first time so lets hope that is just as easy :whistle:

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Shutterbug, when was the last time that you flew in SA? These new rules -- 7kg max -- came into force this year and carryon bags seem to be weighed at the gate. Even tho mine is ultralight, it is over 7kg with my cameras plus my laptop, but I am able to put my laptop into my fairly capacious "handbag" until the wheelie has been weighed and after that, I can slip it back into the wheelie. However, I've not yet flown any of those flights from JNB to Kruger since these new weight limits came into force, but I have always gatechecked my (locked) wheelie on the tarmac for such flights and have never had any problems. Just be aware that your larger caryon is very likely to be weighed at the gate, so be prepared. This is, by the way, not an SAA regulation but one established by the SA airports authority.
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

Shutterbug

Unread post by Shutterbug » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:16 pm

arks, It was in February of this year that we were there, I hope things haven't changed because there is no way I will be checking expensive camera equipment, i'm going to go look on SAA's website now to see what the penalties are for overweight, that may be my only option.

MSI

Unread post by MSI » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:12 pm

arks wrote:If you were OK in February you should be fine. Here's a link explaining the new regulations:

http://traveller24.news24.com/News/Pass ... s-20150129

Thanks for the additional information. I've seen 7-8 kilo max weight posted on various locations on SAA website. I'm gonna repack some of my camera bag into a small handbag that will hold one DSLR body and lens, plus my binoculars and all batteries.

As long as they only weight my camera bag, I should be fine.

Return to “Kruger National Park”