Skip to Content

Travelling to/from KMIAirport.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
ken graham

Re: route Kruger Mpumalanga Airport -Numbi gate

Unread post by ken graham » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:12 pm

I live in Nelspruit so let me try and give you the best advice & directions that I can.
After leaving KMI Airport you will come to a traffic circle [b]R538 go round the circle take 2nd exit to White River.
Go 2.5kms to T junction take slip road left and head for Rocky's Drift (road has no number) approx. 8kms
Come to T junction take slip road left R40 to Nelspruit.
Travel through small industrial area for approx. 10kms to Riverside Mall on your left and Grove Shopping Centre on your right. Beware of roadworks.
Suggest you go to Pick & Pay or Checkers plus many other shops in Riverside Mall.
To get to Numbi Gate get back onto R40 and retrace through Rocky's Drift to White River.
When entering town turn left at 1st traffic light and then right at next lights.
Now follow road R40 to Hazyview.
NB! I do not suggest you use the R538.
The R40 is in excellent condition and far more scenic.
Travel 53kms to T junction with R538.turn right to Numbi Gate.
Travel 11kms to Numbi turn off on your left.
Travel 8kms to Numbi Gate.
Along this 19kms beware of animals on the road + potholes and SPEED TRAPS!!
I suggest you get a road map from the Avis counter when you arrive at KMIA.

Elsa

Re: Travelling to/from KMIAirport.

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 am

Hi camken,

No need to shop in Nelspruit, travel directly from the airport to Malelane, where there are plenty of shopping opportunities and allow you to enter at Malelane gate and travel to B & D quite easily.

If you need more info then have a look at Shopping topic.

Gate closing varies according to the time of year so make sure you know what that time is, earliest being 5.30pm and latest 6.30pm in the Summer months.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Best route to Satara from Nelspruit airport

Unread post by Albert » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:23 am

Getting to Satara via Orpen gate will be no problem. The only other option would be to enter at Phabeni (near Hazyview). From there to Satara is 131 km. This should take about 5 hours (averaging just over 25 km/h). So it depends on how long you take to get from KMIA to Phabeni. If memory serves it is only about 70 km (take the R40)? My guess is that if you can get to Phabeni by 12:00, you will be OK to reach Satara before the gates close.

There is a large shopping centre in Hazyview (just where you have to turn off to go to Phabeni) if you need to buy any supplies on the way.
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:07 pm

lepages wrote:Thanks for the response. I guess it will all depend on how quickly we get out of the airport assuming that we arrive on time. Can you give me an idea of how long it would take to get to Phabeni and Paul Kruger Gates? This way I can make a decision when we are there.

The distance from the airport to Kruger Gate is around 84 kms and then it is 12 kms to Skukuza.
I would suggest if you are not familiar with the area you ask your hire company for a quick run through of the route, altho I did see lately that they have put additional signage to KNP.
I would suggest you enter at Kruger gate which will be the shorter route to Satara.
I hope you have a great trip.

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:25 pm

You should be getting into your car at the airport about 1/2 hour after landing, its a small place and things get done quickly. We can make it to Numbi gate in about 40 minutes so I'd allow about 1 to 1.5 hours to get to Paul Kruger gate.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:47 am

Just a slight correction here, travelling to Kruger gate via the R40 (do not use the R 536 as it is badly potholed) is just about 100 km. According to Uncle Google you should allow about 1 h 50 minutes for that journey (or about 1 h 40 minutes for the 88 km if you do take the R 536 past Numbi).
From Kruger gate to Satara is 104 km.
So your choices are:
KMIA to Phabeni: 70 km, 1 hour. Phabeni to Satara, 130 km, about 5 hours. Total 6 hours
KMIA to Kruger: 100 km, 1 hour 50 minutes. Kruger to Satara, about 4 hours. Total 5 hours 50 minutes.

I'd rather spend the extra hour in the park...... :D
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:25 pm

The distance to Malelane gate is around 63kms so it will be less to the town itself and the supermarket.
I would estimate its about 15 mins to reach the gate from there?
but there is a big road upgrade on the go currently en route through the gorge N4, with a stop/go which can add considerably to the time it takes if you are caught at the start of one of these!
Of course I am not sure of what the situation will be like in 6 weeks time.
Might be better.
Have a look at This Map

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:51 pm

Merged for you Merlin and if you look on the previous page there is a useful guide. :thumbs_up:

Distances & Directions

MSI

SAA carry on limit

Unread post by MSI » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi. I'll be flying from Johannesburg to Neslpruit next Tuesday on South African Airlink departing at 9 am. Does anyone have any thoughts as how strict they are likely to be with my carry on bag weight? They only allow 15 pounds and I am over that by 6 pounds. Size wise, I am fine. Weight wise not so much. A couple DSLR bodies, lenses, iPad, GPS, batteries, it doesn't take much to add up to 15 pounds. I do not want to check my camera bag in Johannesburg. Do these flights usually run at capacity? I can imagine a lot of Kruger visitors will be on this flight.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

saraf

Re: SAA carry on limit

Unread post by saraf » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:44 pm

They will ask you to surrender you bag if:
    they see you are struggling to carry it;
    you cannot put it in the overhead locker
    the overhead lockers are full
I haven't had a problem but then I only have 1 body, 2 lenses and a laptop that all fit easily into a rucksack type camera bag that I can carry easily.

Usually they let you take the bag to the tarmac and they have a trolley to collect oversize cabin bags. To be honest the planes are so small that it isn't a hold as such, just a cupboard in the cabin. You then collect your bag from the tarmac at the other end. It won't go through baggage handling.

But the bottom line is they are responsible for aircraft safety and you should comply with any request made. The rules are there for a reason.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kite » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:32 pm

I think it is worth mentioning here that on domestic , eg Joburg to Durban, as well as international flights, SAA has got very strict with hand baggage! You are not allowed more than 2 pieces eg a small handbag or small laptop bag ( not a briefcase or large laptop bag) and a cabin bag measuring 56/36/23 cm. :sniper:
We were stopped at entrance to plane and were kneeling on the gangway at the entrance to plane, stuffing things into 1 bag to confirm with new rules brought in without warning while we we on our trip!
British airways has issued a similar warning and gives slightly larger dimensions of 56/45/25 cm for the cabin bag and for the handbag or laptop bag, it states 40/30/15 cm. they also state only the handbag with a yellow tag will be guaranteed to be allowed in the cabin! :rtm:
Hopefully they will be more understanding with tourists on their way to Kruger! :clap:

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:40 pm

SAA have become very strict as Kite says. I suggest that you distribute what you can into a 'handbag/laptop case' - so you will take on your camera bag, and that is within the size and weight and the rest you pack into a bag that will fit under the seat in front of your seat. They might weigh your camera bag, but should not weigh your 'handbag'.
Sawubona
Dalene

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by carolv » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:16 am

We have found some airlines to be stricter than others recently but can I suggest that you wear a cargo vest (or similar) and carry some bits in your pockets eg batteries, small lenses etc. This would probably get your hand luggage closer to their weight allowance.
My Trip Report for Dec 2015 and Jan 2016:
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=91702

Timbits
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Timbits » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:22 am

We've also had issues with carry-on. My bag does fit under the seat, even on the smaller planes, but it looks bigger than it actually is. It also conforms weight-wise.
I refuse to let them put it on the luggage rack that is at the bottom of the steps when you get on the plane. My bag contains camera equipment and my binoculars. I'm travelling half-way around the world to take photos. I've seen them toss those bags around like a football. : :sniper: This time I will be prepared with a cloth shoulder bag inside my carry on bag. If need be, I'll take the camera equipment out of the bag and put it in the cloth bag and take that on. :twisted: They can put my carry-on (with a change of clothes) in the luggage rack, but at least my camera will be safe. :whistle:

MSI

Unread post by MSI » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:36 pm

Thank you for the replies. I have 8 flights scheduled to get me to and around South Africa. 6 of the 8 flights I was able to book business class, both for my comfort and to allow for my camera bag. Unfortunately, SA Airlink does not offer business class for the 2-45 minute flights I have with them.

I will bring a camera vest and go that route, but I would prefer to check my bag air side if they allow it.

Thank you. Scott

Return to “Kruger National Park”