Skip to Content

Travelling to/from KMIAirport.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park

Domestic flights to Kruger/Nelspruit??

Unread post by wildcat50 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:34 am

I am from Durban and have never been to Kruger. :cry: Trying to plan my first trip and was wondering if SAA are the only airline flying to Kruger or if there is an alternative (budget friendly)from either Joburg or Durban.

Trying to avoid driving if possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Penny » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:45 am

SA Airlink have the monopoly of the flights from Durban to Nelspruit and they certainly do not come cheap (in excess of R2000 for a return trip)! If you fly to Hoedspruit or Nelspruit from Johannesburg you still have to add the cost of the Durban to Johannesburg flights. Driving from Durban to Kruger is an absolute breeze through Swaziland and we make it from home in Durban to the Croc Bridge gate in six and a half to seven hours. If you would like further details please pm me your landline phone number and I will be happy to help with directions!
24 Sept 2015 Hlane, 25-2 Burchells, 2-4 Elephant Plains, 4-7 Satara, 7-9 Pretoriouskop, 9-15 Ngwenya, 16 Hluhluwe
The addiction is fed once again

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Latest arrival at MQP ?

Unread post by DotDan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:35 pm

francoisd wrote:
Imberbe wrote: :o MQP airport?? :redface: Which airport is that? :huh:

That is the airport code for Nelspruit-Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport

:lol: :twisted:

Re: Distance from KMIA to Lower Sabie via Kruger Gate

Unread post by vanalder » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:05 am

This from the SANPARKS site:

Airport access to the Kruger National Park

Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA)
* Situated between Nelspruit and White River
* 22 km from Nelspruit
* 15 km from White River

Paul Kruger Gate
* 108 km from Nelspruit on R40
* 87 km from White River on R40
* 41 km from Hazyview on R536

Kruger Gate to Lower Sabie is 53Km and the site estimates

Re: Best Route from KMIA to Numbi

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi Bean46

There is a fairly short route from the airport to Numbi Gate through the town of White River.
Have a look at This Map
Hope it helps, otherwise please do ask for more info.

Kicker Cat

Re: Best Route from KMIA to Numbi

Unread post by Kicker Cat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:48 am

Hi Bean 46

No knowing your destination in KNP or the time of day you will travel I would like suggest a slightly different route

My suggestion is to take the road through White River and then the R40 to Hazeyview and then into Kruger park using the Phabeni Gate.

The road to Numbi is not that bad but the traffic and the road users make using this road quite hazourdous IMO

I hadn't used this road for about two years and following another forumites suggestion used it last year - the drivers on this road have their own Rules - which deteriorate drastically during busy times. I won't use it again

Just be wary of the local Taxis

Enjoy your trip to KNP

Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Travelling to/from KMIA

Unread post by saraf » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:04 pm

Actually I think Bert had a link to a company that does transfers to and from the airport. He found it somewhere on the main SANParks site.

Found it on the KNP page on the main site. Getting there. Have a look under Bus Shuttle.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Re: Transportation from Kruger-Mpumalanga to Skukuza

Unread post by bert » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Private Connections (a private company) operates this shuttle service between Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA) to Kruger National Park. The contact details are:

Heather Dornan
Office Tel.: (013) 750 2435
Cell: 072 245 4677

The trip takes about 1 hour 20 minutes. It is recommended that the shuttle should be booked with Heather.

Maximum Rand withdrawal at Nelspruit airport?

Unread post by jhawktx » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Has anyone withdrawn money from an ATM at Nelspruit airport recently and, if so, did you happen to notice the maximum amount of Rand you were permitted to withdraw in one transaction? I'm hoping I can withdraw 2,000 Rand from an ATM there at the airport upon arrival but I fear the maximum withdrawal permitted will be less than that. Thanks.
Lower Sabie Sept 4-6
Satara Sept 7-9

Re: Maximum Rand withdrawal at Nelspruit airport?

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi jhawktx,

I am open to correction, but as far as I understand the ATMs in SA to work, the maximum you can withdraw in a day depends on the daily withdraw limit on your card. I advise you to check this with your bank before leaving for SA. I have often withdrawn more than R2000 in cash at ATMs throughout the country without any problems - but only to the daily cash withdrawal limit on my card. This limit protects one should one loose the card. I would imagine the ATM at Nelspruit Airport to hold sufficient cash ... however, do not rely on ATMs in KNP for this.

Time needed between arrival JNB and departure to KMIA?

Unread post by iLoveMeerkats! » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:02 pm

We fly into Johannesburg International Airport from London with an expected :pray: arrival of 8:30 a.m.

We have to wait for luggage, go thru customs, go to other terminal.
Is it reasonable to book a SAA Airlink flight to Mpumalanga that leaves at 11:10?
So we would have to be at their counter shortly after 10.

Obviously there are many things that can go wrong - late plane- customs jam - etc. and there are no guarantees of anything, but if things are pretty normal, how long is it GENERALLY taking people to get bags and go thru customs these days???

The next flight that I can find doesn't leave until 13:30 and I don't want to go that late if I do not have to.

Re: Time needed between arrival JNB and departure to Kruger?

Unread post by jeffgordon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Friends arriving from abroad report international arrivals at JNB to be particularly speedy.

If the plane doesn't land late, or you don't arrive just as 7 other flights arrive, you should comfortably disembark, clear customs and collect luggage within an hour and still have time to get to the domestic departures (which is fortunately in the same building, a short walk away).

Of course, with this sort of thing, spanners find their way into the cogs with alarming alacrity, so have a contingency plan just in case. But all things going well, you should comfortably make the check-in desk by 10.

Hope that helps, and have a WONDERFUL trip.
Last edited by jeffgordon on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joep Stevens

Re: Driving from MPL International Airport to Numbi Gate

Unread post by Joep Stevens » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 am

I recently travelled Numbi to White River and it has deteriorated quite a bit, with potholes appearing in a few sections.
Besides that it is a busy road with all types or pressure, buses, pedestrians and some animals.
So, if you choose this option, put enough time aside (1,5 hours) and exercise the necessary patience.
I agree, Malelane would be an easier drive if you have the time, but that is considerably longer.

With kind regards.

General Manager: Tourism Operations

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Driving from MPL International Airport to Numbi Gate

Unread post by Albert » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Leaping Lizards wrote:Does anyone know what is the best route from the Airport to Orpen?
How long does it take outside the park to Orpen gate and what is the condition of the road?
Is it better to take the drive through the park?

The distance from KMIA to Orpen around the outside of the park is about 150-155 km.
This via the R 538 (I think) to White River and then with the R40 to Hazyview and onwards.
We travelled the Hazyview-Orpen section of the R40 last year in May, and the road was OK (not great).
The main issues were pedestrians, animals and traffic.
And there were some roadworks.
You must assume that you average speed will not be much more than 50 - 60 km/h for the first 100 + km. Figure on about 2h45 minutes minimum.
If time allowed, I'd always opt for the travel inside the park.
Maybe you could go to Hazyview and then enter at Phabeni?
Which camp are you aiming to get to?
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: driving time-MQP to skukuza

Unread post by wildtuinman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi Blanca10, all the info you need is right here.
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Return to “Kruger National Park”