Skip to Content

Up North

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
K-4S

Up North

Unread post by K-4S » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:39 am

Greetings everyone

We are off to the park next week :dance: we are staying at Mopani and Shingwedzi for a few nights each. Could someone give some information on the condition of the Veld up there if they have been lately and possibly a photo or two :cam: . I know the South has taken quite a knock from the lack of rain in the summer months, is it the same case for the North?

Thanks
January 2016
Orpen | Tamboti

May 2016
Mopani | Shingwedzi

July 2016
Bataleur | Shingwedzi | Punda Maria

Karin Mitton
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Up North

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:11 am

I was at Mopani in march, it was very wet and green

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:03 pm

Hi KS,
If you look in the discussion on the drought, you will find some pics I put up from end of March/beginning of May. Stunningly green, especially in the far north around Punda. They don't seem to have had any rain now for at least 2 weeks... which means everything will be drying up...
I was impressed with the Tropic of Capricorn loop -- that open plain around the waterhole was green with hundreds of zebras and other animals spread out. Also enough water at the water hole.
Enjoy.
God bless,
Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Highbury

Unread post by Highbury » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:54 am

Karen/Friedrich - would appreciate any further comment around what game you saw at Tihongonyeni. This has a always been a favourite of mine because of the activity around it - I have seen lion, large tuskers , eland , tsessebe , roan , lichtensteins hartebeest , reedbuck and many other , often in large numbers , but last year the waterhole was closed for 6 months and I was diappointed with the viewing. Would be good to hear comment now that it has been reopened.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:45 am

When we were there in Feb this year, it was deserted around the waterhole but I think it was largely because there was absolutely no grazing more than anything else, but of course it could also have just been a timing issue as what happens in the park?
As we travelled down the S50 we started finding more game and around Mooiplaas there were Eland, Tsessebe and other general species aplenty.
but I think with the rains that occurred and more grazing there is a much better chance now.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Elmar

Unread post by Elmar » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:01 pm

I am interested to find out whether Grootvlei dam and Mtomeni pan have water.

Return to “Kruger National Park”