Skip to Content

Visiting the kruger park 2016

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
minettest

Visiting the kruger park 2016

Unread postby minettest » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:07 pm

I have convinced my hubby that we visit the park again next year :dance: 2014 we stayed at letaba and pretorius kop in the September school holidays.

First question: what's the best time visiting July or September school holiday (we camp with own tent)?

Second question: we have a week what's best 3 or 4 nights in lower sabie and 3 nights in berg and dal or what do you recommend.

third question we are coming from cape Town via kimberley. That is recommended to go from kimberley to kruger and which gate

Thanks alot any advice would be appreciated
:dance:
28/06/16 - tamboti
29/06/16 - tamboti
30/06/16 - tamboti
1/07/16 - berg en dal
2/07/16 - berg en dal
3/07/16 - lower sabie
4/07/16 - lower sabie
5/07/16 - crocodile bridge
6/07/16 - crocodile bridge

CAN ABSOLUTELY NOT WAIT!!! :lol:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: Visiting the kruger park 2016

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:50 am

A very warm welcome minettest :gflower:

I tend to like September, as it is a period when you can experience wonderful sightings. The grass is really low and animals congregate at waterholes. You have camped in September before, so you have no doubt experienced the September heat. It can however give the unexpected cold spell, so you really do need to pack for everything.

Lower Sabie sounds super. It has such wonderful roads and it has brilliant sighting possibilities. Have you considered Satara as your other camp? It does offer splendid sighting possibilities. As much as Berg n Dal is a lovely camp, it has fewer roads to explore.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

leander09

Unread postby leander09 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:02 am

Hi minettest

I Agree that September is a better time than July for camping. But to be honest one should experience the park every month of the year as it differ. July can be very cold camping and usually September the weather is already much better.

It all depends if you are willing to move. We always camp but do not like moving because it feels like you lose half a day. If you are going to move from lower sabie to satara that is different because than you see the southern and central kruger but to move from Lower Sabie to Berg and dal or any camp in the south I would say rather stay at one place.

Lower sabie is our favorite camp but we stay most of the time in Skukuza. When staying in Skukuza you are very central and can get to any camp in the south in almost 1.5 hours. You have so much more choice of roads. I know it is a very commercialized camp but the game viewing are excellent. In our experience when staying in Skukuza you have the best chance of seeing more leopard than at any other camp.

The best two gates is Phabeni and Malelane. I would recommend malelane as it is highway all the way and a very good road.

This is just my opinion and hope it helps.

Enjoy the planning because that is when the holiday starts.
KNP the Home away from home. . .

Karin Mitton
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Karin Mitton » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:12 pm

I would go with 3 nights at Berg en Dal and 4 nights in Lower Sabie. Enter at the Malelane gate - Berg en Dal is just a few minutes from the gate- would be convenient if you have had a long drive

Happy Snapper

Unread postby Happy Snapper » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi there
Ok kruger in july is awesome, albeit a little cold in a tent. Spent many years in a tent in winter. I personally would rather it be cold than run the risk of rain in september. Lower sabie is one of the pretiest and most prolific camps from a game viewing point of view. Bergendal has a charm of its own. Personally I would opt for a night in bergendal on the way in, then lower sabie for the rest or maybe all in lower sabie...no packing and unpacking. Just enjoyment. Crocodile bridge and malelane are both good gates to enter the park. :dance: . I hope this helps a little
Kruger 2015
15 June to 21 crocodile bridge
21 to 28 lower sabie :k
29 to10 july Satara
11 lower sabie :clap:

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hugh » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:30 pm

You are travelling from Cape Town ah how about the Karoo National Park either on the way up or down .. super camp site there with plenty of trees and good kitchen and ablution areas
On the way up before Kimberley you pass the Mokala National Park . Its a real Gem and the Campers have their own private "en suites" and cooking area .
We travelled down from the Kruger and stayed at the Lesotho Village at the golden gate ( no camping but the golden gate has a super camp site too ) and then we stayed at the camp site at the Camdeboo National Park at Graaff reinet. Really super and its right on the lake .
Hope that helps
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:37 pm

There is never a bad time nor a bad place to be in KNP!!!!

If you really have to choose (why not do both? 8) :lol: ) I would go for September. Since you are camping, July will be cold at night. September is better and the "risk" of rain in September in KNP is still low. KNP receives the most of its rain from December to February If it rains, it will be a short shower or two.

Nothing wrong with your choice of camps either.

Enjoy!
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

minettest

Special needs kids and KNP

Unread postby minettest » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:03 am

Our son has hi functioning autism. We went to the park out off season last year and he absolutely loved it the animals the camping the day trips driving out. My question we want to visit again next year but will be in July school holiday and know the park is busy. What would be the best small camps like maroela and crocidile bridge for camping and maybe hut for lower sabie? It's not that he does not function with people, people does not function with him :wink:
28/06/16 - tamboti
29/06/16 - tamboti
30/06/16 - tamboti
1/07/16 - berg en dal
2/07/16 - berg en dal
3/07/16 - lower sabie
4/07/16 - lower sabie

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Special needs kids and KNP

Unread postby Lepardfan » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:44 am

Hi minnetest.

First of all do you already have accommodation booked in Kruger for July. It is silly season so it will be very busy. :)

In my years visiting, I have always noticed children being more accommodating than adults, so in my point of view your child will be just fine. :mrgreen:

Please know that is just my opinion based on my own children, seeing that they are brought up by treating every one as equals. :dance:
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hugh » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:39 pm

Honestly I would book where I wanted to book Forget about any strange stares from others .. its their problem not yours And as your son so enjoys the Park go for it and enjoy. I might be in the Park too end July /august next year so might even see you . It will be my Grandies first visit to the Kruger. and we don't call him Tornado for nothing
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

minettest

Unread postby minettest » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks I'm waiting for the first off July to book ASAP for next year. I think we will go for smaller camps and stay at one or 2 spots longer at a time and then drive out to the bigger camps maybe for lunch or picnic. Last year we stopped at Lake something where the bird watch. As soon as we went in we went out again he's just to busy and walk extra load on the wooded planks. But we love him to death
28/06/16 - tamboti
29/06/16 - tamboti
30/06/16 - tamboti
1/07/16 - berg en dal
2/07/16 - berg en dal
3/07/16 - lower sabie
4/07/16 - lower sabie

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:12 pm

I think you will have to book on 3 August 2015 (first working day of the month) for July 2016 (11 months before the time) minettest. :thumbs_up:

I think your son will enjoy the Park any time of the year, no matter how busy the camps are! Enjoy your trip and tell us all about it in a trip report (under Travel Tales) once you are back home again! :dance: :dance:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.
Kruger sleeps in March 2016
2 - 5: Skukuza
6 - 8: Crocodile Bridge
9 - 11: Lower Sabie
12 - 13: Biyamiti
14: Return home

minettest

Easter 2016 trip

Unread postby minettest » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:32 am

We will be visiting the park in march 2016 school holiday which also falls ion easter weekend. My question will the shops restaurants and picnic spots be open on good Friday and be trading?
28/06/16 - tamboti
29/06/16 - tamboti
30/06/16 - tamboti
1/07/16 - berg en dal
2/07/16 - berg en dal
3/07/16 - lower sabie
4/07/16 - lower sabie

leander09

Re: Easter 2016 trip

Unread postby leander09 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:48 am

Hi minettest

Yes everything is open. As far as I know is it open 365 days of the year.

Just some advise if you want to make some breakfast or Brunch at the picnic spots make sure you arrive early. It is very very busy in the south of the park but still for while. A good tip is take your own gas braai with.

Enjoy and good luck for the wait until then
KNP the Home away from home. . .

Madalla

Unread postby Madalla » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi Minettest,

Why go via Kimberley. You pass through all those small towns whose only income it would seem is from speed traps. And from Klerksdorp through Potchefstroom to Johannesburg will be very slow as a result of many robots, speed limits and heavy traffic on narrow roads.
Via Bloem is much faster, a wee bit shorter and a much better road, except for some 20 Kilo's before Kroonstad.

Malelane gate is closer to Nelspruit but you have that expensive toll gate. We always enter via Phabeni when camping in the South.
If you should start your trip with a booking in Satara you can still enter at Phabeni gate - it will take you about 5 hours to Satara.

Personnaly I would combine LS/Skukuza with Satara. Best camps in my view.

Finally - it is a good idea to visit KNP at various times of the year. July is not too cold for camping. However, July is the most popular time of the year for visiting KNP and you will be lucky to get a reservation during school holidays. Try booking the minute bookings for that period opens.
I wish I was as rich as the family thinks I am and as clever as I think I am

Lower Sabie 16 to 21 Jan 16

Return to “Kruger National Park”