KNP UPGRADES GATE ACCESS CONTROL SYSTEM

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Mischief
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: KNP UPGRADES GATE ACCESS CONTROL SYSTEM

Unread post by Mischief » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Barb15584

What I can definitely confirm is that the driver of the vehicle must be in possession of a valid and recognized drivers licence which is the one that is scanned at the gate. I was the passenger and they only scanned my SA ID Document and did not ask to scan my drivers licence as I was not driving. Most International visitors who do self drives through the Kruger would have to present their drivers licence when renting a vehicle so hopefully many of the international visitors will have it with them.
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:38 pm

I am sure that foreign visitors can present their passports for identification and scanning. South Africans can present driving licence or ID document.

In most countries you can hire a car with any driving licence, as long as it has a photograph in it. When I go from SA to UK, I hire cars with just my South African licence - no problem and I think it works the other way round. It is strange that they stipulate an International Driving Licence.
Skukuza 1-4 March 2018 (Cricket weekend!!)
Lower Sabie 4 March 2018
Satara 5-9 March 2018

Barb15584

Unread post by Barb15584 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:41 pm

My point was that all that is required of international visitors to be able to rent a car and drive in RSA is a valid local license that is written in the English language and preferably has a photograph. An international driver's license is not required, therefore there could be some unfortunate surprises at the gates to KNP if it is being enforced.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:41 pm

Barb15584 wrote:As an international visitor I am pleased that I read the complete string and printed and read the Indemnity Form where I learned that an International Driver's License is required to enter the park. I would not have had one with me, as it is not required to enter and drive in RSA.
Can anyone confirm that this is enforced, this could be a real problem for people that do not get their Indemnity Forms before arriving at the gate.
Barb.

Barb according to the media release us overseas folk just need to show our passports to enter Kruger.

The confusion comes with the statement that a drivers licence will suffice.....that is for SA citizens who do not have their official ID document.

What your car hire requires is an intirely different matter. All car rental companies that I have dealt with over the past few years in SA just need a photo licence, and not an international driver's permit.

I am from UK not Canada, so can only speak for my country, but years ago we did not have photo licences, just a paper one, and that is when we needed an International permit, however since the UK introdiced photo licences these are acepted by every car rental firm that I have dealt with.

It is my understanding that to enter Kruger as an overseas visitors, everyone in your car, driver and passengers over the age of 18 just need to show their passports, which they will scan. However you will obviously have your photo licence, or International permit (which ever your car rental company requires) so can show that if necessary.

We always carry our licence with us even if we are just going to the shops, because if the SAPs stop you, you need to produce it.

Hope that clarifies things. :thumbs_up:

Barb15584

Unread post by Barb15584 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Val,
At the top of the Indemnity form there is an information note that includes the sentence " All Drivers must present a valid SA Driver's/International Driver's License with a Passport".

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi Barb
I am not sure whether we are talking at cross purposes here.?

If the indemnity form says "International Drivers Licence" they surely mean your own licence you use in your own (International) country........ as long as it has a photo of you, and not an extra International Permit, like we used to need in the UK before they introduced photo licences.

However if you are still sure the driver of the rental car needs an International Permit as well as their own licence, it would be better that you organise one for peace of mind. :thumbs_up:

Merlin11
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Merlin11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi Val, sorry to come back on this again, as Barb says the Gate Registration and Indemnity form does state International Driving Licence with a passport.

Now we are still in the old world where we still only have the old style pink UK driving licences ( i.e. No photos), for all of our previous Kruger trips that has been fine for our car hire and we have never purchased International Driving Licences. We can remember completing the indemnity forms at the gates and from memory (not certain) only ever showed our passports. Is this a new additional requirement?

As we go again to 7 weeks how can I find out for sure if I need to get International Licences to meet this requirement?

Totally understand and happy to provide whatever is needed, just need to understand what I do need to get :hmz:

3/11/17 outside park
10/11/17 - 11/11/17 BnD
12/11/17 - 15/11/17 Skukuza
16/11/17 - 19/11/17 Satara
20/11/17 - 24/11/17 Biyamiti

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Hope this clarifies - from the media statement:

For non-South African visitors, they must produce passports but a South African driver’s licence will also be acceptable.
- Dalene

Merlin11
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Merlin11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Ok thanks DB will go with that and just take the same documentation as always. Just some feedback though the statement on the top of the indemnity form for Kruger on this website is a bit misleading.
3/11/17 outside park
10/11/17 - 11/11/17 BnD

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 pm

HiMerlin
I can only say what I believe, which is that what they mean on the Indemnity form by "International Driving Licence" is your own driving licence, from your own (International) Country.

This is not to be confused with the "International Drivers Permit", which is a booklet which we were required to have to accompany our old licences that did not have a photo - at least that was the case many years ago when I first visited SA. This "Permit" booklet could be bought from the RAC or AA or Post Office, and contained our photo, which many foreign countries required.

If you can now just use your old pink licence in SA, they must have changed the rules a while back, a fact which I was not aware of, as I have had a photo licence for many years now. :thumbs_up:

However, having said that, if you do only have the old pink paper licence without a photo, I am not sure if they can scan that, so you might need to get an International Permit booklet anyway. :thumbs_up:

As I said this is only what I believe, and I will quite happily stand corrected. :thumbs_up:

Merlin11
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Merlin11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Sorry Val, think we were both typing at the same time :thumbs_up:

Thanks for your explanation makes sense when you say Permit and Licence, I get that :thumbs_up:

Yep, have only ever shown our old pink licences ( very frail and delicate considering their ages and held together with sellotape )which they scanned and never had a problem, that's at Nelspruit and Skukuza airports.

Will just go with the same again and report back after our November trip, thanks again :thumbs_up:
3/11/17 outside park
10/11/17 - 11/11/17 BnD

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Merlin11 wrote:Ok thanks DB will go with that and just take the same documentation as always. Just some feedback though the statement on the top of the indemnity form for Kruger on this website is a bit misleading.

To pass through the new gate access control system, only passports are needed.

Re the Indemnity Form:
As in any country, drivers must have a valid driver's license. One cannot hire a car without one. When we traveled to US, our SA driver's licenses were valid there - we did not need anything more (apart, obviously, from our passports). So, as long as the driver can produce a valid drivers license, which the car hire people also would need, all will be good :thumbs_up:

valid SA Driver’s / International Driver’s License with a Passport.

(In SA, our driver's licenses are accepted as ID too)
- Dalene

Merlin11
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Merlin11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks DB :thumbs_up:
3/11/17 outside park
10/11/17 - 11/11/17 BnD

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Hopefully will bump into you somewhere in Kruger in 7+ weeks time :dance:
- Dalene

Barb15584

Unread post by Barb15584 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:33 am

To close this one off, I think that the confusion for us at least is that when required we receive an International Driving License as opposed to a Permit.
Merlin, we will be in KNP from November 01 until December 05, maybe we will bump into each other, figuratively speaking
Barb

Return to “Kruger National Park”