Skip to Content

Kruger in January

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
ThisIsLawrence

Kruger visit in early January

Unread post by ThisIsLawrence » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi All

Wife and I will be visiting Kruger for 4 days on January 2 next year for the first time.

Can anyone tell me the conditions I should expect around that time?
I hear this is the rainy season. Does that mean we expect to endure constant rain or is it a downpour or two during the day. Constantly cloudy?

How about the mosquito situation at rest stops such as Skukuza etc?

Any general info or tips greatly appreciated....

fee

Re: Kruger visit in early January

Unread post by fee » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi
January is a very hot month and you should expect high temperatures. The weather is difficult to predict. You may have absolutely no rain for your stay with beautiful blue skies, or your may have downpours. Cannot say, but do expect it to be hot.
January is high risk for mosquitoes (high risk time is November - end April
Mosquitoes are prevalent early morning and dusk, and it is recommended that you cover your arms and ankles during this time of day. You can also buy anti-mosquito sprays and lotions to apply to your skin. During the heat of the day you don't see them.
You may wish to consult with a doctor regarding anti mosquito medication.

I'm sure you will get many responses to your query, but this is my five cents worth.

By the way, where are you coming from?

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: Kruger in January

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:06 am

Fee has given some pretty good advice.

Unless the rain really sets in, the rain usually builds up during the day to lead to thunder showers in the late afternoon and evening, or sometimes during the night. The lightning and thunder can be quite spectacular. I rather enjoy it. The period following the rain is fresh and lovely as it relieves the humidity a bit.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

pjce717@aol.com

game viewing in January

Unread post by pjce717@aol.com » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:56 pm

We will be visiting Kruger in January of 2017. What area of the park should we visit for the best game viewing? I know that it isn't the best time to go, but that's when we have the time.
For nights 1-6, we be with a friend who is on his first safari. We were thinking 2 nights each at Talamati or Satara, Lower Sabie, and Biyamiti. We hope this gives our friend the best possible game viewing. Or we could spend the whole time in the south: 2 nights LS, 2 nights Biyamiti, 2 nights Berg en Dahl. Thoughts?
We drop him off at Skukuza then have another week to drive into the northern part of the park. Here we thought 1 night Tamboti, 2 nights Shimuwini or Mopani; 2 nights Punda Maria (tent), 2 nights Letaba or Olifants. We plan to exit at the Phalaborwa Gate to drive the Panorama Route back to Joburg.
What areas are our best chances for good game viewing at that time of year>
Thank you.

Elsa

Re: game viewing in January

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Warm welcome to the forum! :clap:

As I'm sure you know January is a very hot time of year to visit the park but also a great time in terms of diversity!
For a first time visitor as your friend is I think sticking to to the south is a good idea.
then once on your own a trip further north to get away from the busy area good!

Do have a read through Kruger in January for some more info and advice. :thumbs_up:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:32 am

A warm welcome pjce :gflower:

Elsa has given good advice about sticking to the south. It will give the best chances of game viewing.

I do like the smmaller bush camps of Biyamiti and Talamati. Tambotie would also be a good option for a camp with a real bush feel.

I have often been in Kruger in January and have been pleasantly surprised at how much the Park quietens down. It can also be a very wet month, so there is a built up of heat and humidity with some spectacular thunder storms.

Because it is so green, sightings might nor be as frequent, but I love the lushness of the bush. It is also a wonderful time to enjoy the scenery. The birds are very busy and the insects in some areas can be really quite loud. It is a time of vibrancy and life. Enjoy.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:06 am

For nights 1-6, we be with a friend who is on his first safari. We were thinking 2 nights each at Talamati or Satara, Lower Sabie, and Biyamiti. We hope this gives our friend the best possible game viewing.
I think this is an excellent plan or a first timer to the park; it will give them a good view of the open savannahs and the areas along the rivers, and more bushy southern areas.

You are planning on a lot of moving around - which is fine if you are not going to drag a lot of stuff with you. But if next January is as hot as 2016, you might be grateful of an 'aircon break' at the peak of the heat each day. We camped in the park this past January, it was extremely hot - but without the rains to cool it off with afternoon storms, I think it was very unusual. If the rains are 'normal'; then one does get respite from the heat.
Sawubona
Dalene

pjce717@aol.com

Unread post by pjce717@aol.com » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:25 pm

Thank you all for your replies. My thinking was that the 1st itinerary gave our friend a more varied terrain by including the savannah area around Satara or Talamati. And perhaps a better chance for cat sightings.
DinkyBird, I share your concerns about the heat and humidity. We will have AC in the car, so we can drive all day in comfort. It's sleeping that worries me. We feel strongly that one must experience a bush camp, preferably tented. The quiet of the night, broken only by animal noises. We don't want our friend to miss that.
Tamboti doesn't work for our bedding needs (all singles). So Talamati and Biyamiti are our best options. We'll have to bring a lot of fans!

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:01 pm

Fans, and water spray bottles are excellent air cons. Wet sheets, a spray of cooling water and a fan on one ... :thumbs_up:

And no heat will detract from the experience of a bush camp as you describe it!
Sawubona
Dalene

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:59 am

Talamati and Biyamiti will both have ceiling fans in the bedrooms to help with the heat. :thumbs_up:

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”