Shingwedzi Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
PietSkiet
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Shingwedzi Rest Camp

Unread post by PietSkiet » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:03 am

Hi Cape of Storms,

Shingwedzi is one of my favourite camps, but we don't visit there often enough.
I am not sure how much has changed since the floods but the bungalows are in two big circles, almost like Satara, so there is plenty of space for the girls to play in front of the bungalows while you enjoy the fire, no grass. There is normally 2 bungalows joint together, so I would suggest to request a two bungalows that is joint.
Shingwedzi has a lovely pool, so maybe try and stay as close to the pool as possible.
Enjoy the trip. On our last visit we saw our one and only Roan on the drive towards Kanniedood dam, one of the most scenic roads in Kruger.
Latest TR viewtopic.php?f=27&t=85674

Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015
Roodewal 26 December 2015 - 28 December 2015

squirrel81

Unread post by squirrel81 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:16 pm

saraf wrote:I think you might be better getting two bungalows that are not linked but have facing kitchens, if you see what I mean. The linked bungalows actually more separate with a wall and then a fence between them. You will share a parking space and the area between the units that face each other which would be better for families I think.

Dear Pietskiet,
I must agree to the above. Try to get 52 + 51, their entrance and the patio must face each other. I have stayed twice in 54 (which is BD2). It is close to the pool and I found it is situated in a quiet area. Furthermore the communal kitchen is not to far away. The BG2 units do not have a kitchen.

Greetings,
Brigitte
Next trip :dance:
October/November 16 : 4 N Lower Sabie, 3 N Biyamiti, 2 N Preoriuskop, 2 N Skukuza
6 N Satara, 3 N Talamati, 3 N Olifants, 3 N Mopani, Boulders,
2 N Shingwedzi, 2 N Pafuri, 2 N Sirheni, 3 N Letaba
Can`t wait to start :lol:

Cape of Storms
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2015)

Unread post by Cape of Storms » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:26 am

thanks so much. Called and was promised units 49-51. On the bend so all three are together according to the lady who helped me! Can't wait!!!

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:43 pm

I absolutely Love Shingwedzi! My new favorite. Even when the camp sites are fully booked, you never really get that impression.

As much as I love the south, it is unfortunately starting to show rat race tendencies (i am bound to school holidays for now).

wheckroodt

Unread post by wheckroodt » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:19 pm

After floods, all revamped and painted. Fresh smell. Shop is magnificent. Also one of my favourites. Stayed the 29th and 30th December 2013.
Wilheck

Satara 19-22 July 2015
Letaba 23 - 25 July 2015

squirrel_asc

Unread post by squirrel_asc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:12 am

Just for interest's sake (and because it's one of my favourite spots in the entire park) what does the causeway look like? Has it been rebuilt? Did they raise it?

angiek

Unread post by angiek » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:12 pm

When we were there last week the causeway was closed off and it didn't look like any work had been done on the causeway as yet. Camp itself was superb! Well run by a lady that checks up on everything all day long, made sure all braai's were cleaned daily, came around and asked if we were still happy, spot checked abulution blocks, etc. She is definitely an asset to SANPARKS.

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Wed May 07, 2014 2:15 pm

We entered at Punda and drove down to Shingwedzi - from Punda gate it's only about 2 - 2 1/2 hours of pothole free road lined with animals/birds/trees/grass.
Currently writing this from our campsite in Shingwedzi. The causeway is closed due to water and sand covering it. According to the staff it has been fixed but more rain started the river running again and it currently covers the causeway completely. There is also a lot of sand deposited onto the surface. As soon as the river level (more like large puddle level!) subsides - the causeway will be cleaned and re-opened.
The bridge over the river is still not fully repaired - most railings need replacing and on the north side currently there are no railings!
The new Day visitors area is still closed but the old one inside the camp is open to visitors.
The new Reception and Shop areas are a great improvement and all of the staff from the manager down to the temporary cleaner in the campsite are busy making this camp into "THE" camp in Kruger!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

shivati

Unread post by shivati » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi cathyb, was at Shingwedzi in April this year ('14) and hide was perfectly accessible with great birding incl. ground hornbills wandering by... :D . The hide was in good shape. Perhaps it was just a temp access problem with grading roads or so in May?

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:41 am

We were there in May - hide was open and accessible. Causeway re-opened 15 May and, as far as we know, is still open.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Some pics of the camp we took this morning.

Very impressed with the neatness of the camp, the friendliness of the staff and how smart the newly refurbished shop is; also how well stocked it is. Fresh fruit and veg, loads of frozen meat, bread, cheeses etc.

Tindlovu now manages the restaurant.

ImageShingwedzi by dinkybird, on Flickr

Image20141104_102320 by dinkybird, on Flickr

Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:54 pm

ImageShingwedzi bridge by dinkybird, on Flickr

From our drive this eve:

Sunset from our campsite:
Sawubona
Dalene

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:59 pm

Not much water in that river but we now know that can change! :?
Super pics!
sigh! :mrgreen:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:05 am

Thank you for the posting the photo's of Shingwedzi Camp Dinkybird. The restaurant and shop area looks first class, clean and tidy. Those big trees along the river bank looks so "Shingwedzi Peaceful" in a "Wish I was There" kind of way.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:36 pm

Folk often ask about internet and cellphone signal in Kruger. Shingwedzi has very intermittent signal, it can drop for 24 hours or more. (2x in the past week)

I am finding Vodacom slightly faster to connect to internet (2G) than MTN. MTN is very sloooow.
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”