Skip to Content

Which camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
stefan9

Which camp

Unread postby stefan9 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:52 am

Hi.

Planning a trip for july next year and need some advise on which camp. We are 4 people planning to stay 3 nights. Camps we are looking at are biyamiti,lower sabie,talamati,satara and skukuzu. Don''t really want to go any further north then satara as past experience with animal viewing has been poor further north.

Is this a good time of year? Any preferences between the camps? We would be looking at the family cottages as need place for 4, we plan to book one sunset drive as well and self drive rest of the time.
31 March - 3 April 2016 Berg n Dal

Elsa

Re: Which camp

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:01 am

Stefan, with only 3 nights in the park I wouldn't go with more than 2 camps and maybe even only 1, otherwise you are constantly packing and unpacking which does eat into your viewing time somewhat.
With that in mind I might suggest Skukuza which is more or less central to the areas you are hoping to cover during your stay.
In other words you could realistically take a drive down to Lower Sabie/ Croc Bridge areas on the one day and up to Satara area on the other and then to the west, maybe on departure exiting at Malelane gate.
Skukuza has a good range of accommodation and a nice restaurant and shop if required.
Just keep an eye on the winter July holiday season as that would mean the park is very busy and it is preferable to visit out of those times if you can.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

stefan9

Unread postby stefan9 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 am

so basically avoid the school holiday period? So I should rather look at August then july?

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:20 am

Stefan as I see the dates, it looks like the holidays in 2016 will be from 24th June to the 18th July.
Are you planning for July 2017?
But another thing to remember is the Skukuza Marathon is held annually on the first weekend in August and that is an extremely busy time, particularly the Skukuza area, also I believe some private schools have their holidays in August.
so if you can plan out of season then maybe consider either before the July holiday season and after the marathon weekend/private school break.

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread postby RosemaryH » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:40 am

Hi stefan9

Hope you secure the accommodation and dates you decide on and have a super trip. :D

Remember to Please fly Yellow Ribbon in Parks :gflower:
Rose

Golden Rule of any SANPark - DO NOT feed or put food out for ANY species whatsoever!

Some great voting going on Don't Miss Out

Aardvark

Unread postby Aardvark » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:50 am

Hi stefan9,

I would agree with Elsa, Skukuza is a very nice camp and is central to the Kruger.
It is also very easy to drive to another camp to have lunch.

My personal favorite is Satara, its a small enough camp to not be overcrowded with day visitors and there is a lot of lions in the area :D
Unite Against Poaching
http://www.uniteagainstpoaching.co.za
http://www.sanparks.org/about/rhino-fundraising/unite-against-poaching.php

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi stefan.

For such a short stay, I agree that Skukuza would probably be your best bet and I would suggest you spend all 3 nights there - saving packing up and moving. Although Skukuza is like the "capital city" of Kruger Park, it is in a great area for game viewing and, as said above, you can drive in a different direction each day. After the camp gates close in the evening, it becomes as quiet as any other camp - i.e. once the day visitors etc. have departed.

I can confirm that the private schools are on holiday in August, but it will probably not be as busy as the government school holidays in July. The marathon will have an effect on bookings for Skukuza, as the camp is usually fully-booked for that weekend.

Have fun planning and, when the time comes, have a great trip.
Cricket @ Skukuza 3-6 March 2016
Satara 6-9 March 2016

stefan9

Unread postby stefan9 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:30 pm

Elsa wrote:Stefan as I see the dates, it looks like the holidays in 2016 will be from 24th June to the 18th July.
Are you planning for July 2017?
But another thing to remember is the Skukuza Marathon is held annually on the first weekend in August and that is an extremely busy time, particularly the Skukuza area, also I believe some private schools have their holidays in August.
so if you can plan out of season then maybe consider either before the July holiday season and after the marathon weekend/private school break.

Yes plan is for July 2017, for this year we are staying at berg n dal from 31 March to 3 April.

Thanx for the advice everyone. Plan is to book as soon as reservations open for the season this year.

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby cheetahlady » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:25 pm

Stefan,

As Elsa has said, avoid the public school holidays if you can. It gets very busy and accommodation books up quickly. The second half of July is usually a safe bet. We have often visited late July /early August. It does overlap with the private school holidays as well as many European summer holidays, but we have never had an issue.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Balule, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:33 am

Other than the crowds, July is a super time of the year. Why not go for Talamati, if you still want to go for July, but don't want crowds?
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

stefan9

Unread postby stefan9 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:40 pm

We have changed our plan slightly now looking to stay 5 days around the 25 July. We are aiming for lower sabie.

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bushbuddies » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:40 pm

5 days at Lower Sabie end July would be perfect for me! There are lots of options in terms of different routes in the area, and a great area for game viewing in general. I prefer staying a bit longer at one camp, rather than breaking it up too much. Especially if it is a camp with many drives as an option. I like your plan! :thumbs_up:
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-28 July 2016 - Shingwedzi
28-31 July 2016 - Olifants

Tracylee

Unread postby Tracylee » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi - we are looking at a quick visit in February - leaving Sabie probably after 1pm Sunday 14th and have to be at Lanseria airport late pm of Wednesday 17th. What would you suggest. i like the idea of trying out Crocodile Bridge or Berg en Dal just because we have never been there. Not hugely keen on Skukuza because it is too big.
Are either of my choices disturbed by traffic noise or distant city lights?
Thanks

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:17 pm

I like Croc Bridge as its a small camp in a very good and productive game area and if you get one of the bungalows with a bush view rather than a river facing then it will be very peaceful.
Just remember it doesn't have a restaurant so if that's important to you then choose B & D.
Pretoriuskop is also a lovely peaceful camp.
But have a look at the Availability for your dates.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:01 am

Hi Tracylee, I am going to second Elsa's suggestion. When it comes to game, a good selection of drives and a well run, small camp, Croc Bridge ticks all the boxes.

Berg n Dal is a well run camp, but the selection of roads is not as good and the concentration of game is also less.

It is easy to get to Lower Sabie for brunch, or lunch. I found their Mug&Bean really well run.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”