S39 - Timbavati Road

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: S39 - Timbavati Road

Unread post by o-dog » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Enjoying this thread :thumbs_up:

Lovely stuff Gamespotter!! I was on the road in Dec 2009, it was full of impala everywhere and knew it was a matter of time for the lions to pitch up as I had heard them from the Ratelpan hide but they were across the river which was flowing strongly on the 2nd Dec.

In the early 90's I remember great interaction with 6 lions and a bunch of vultures feeding on a Buff Kill somewhere north of Roodewaal Camp. I have driven this road a good number of times this last decade and on 2 occassions this road has produced some amazing viewing.
On one occassion a pride of 15 lions had brought down 2 zebra next to the road West of the picnic site, so we were told. We went there the next morning and found 2 male lions on the 2 dead zebra and then continued to Piet Grobler Dam where first we had 13 lions cross the road infront of us (im sure the same ones) and then 2 cheetah sightings of single adults either side of the Dam.
On a another trip to KNP we decided to drive the road again since it had been so good to us. Between the junction of the S127 and Piet Grobler Dam we came across a leopard in the riverbed followed by 2 hyenas further on and then 2 sets of lions not far apart and excellent general game.

Having had a lot of luck on this road I must say we have also had our days of driving it and seeing very little so as any road its a hit and miss but the hits have made it more than worth it!
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

Martial Eagle

Unread post by Martial Eagle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:04 pm

In August this year we had agreat drive along it. We saw 2 male lions not far from the Roodewal camp turnoff & less the 400 meters further on a mating pair of lions. Got some beautiful photos of them. Also there was a stack of general game. Last year in the huge open spot just before Roodewal turnoff at the watering point was a Giraffe kill with many lions feeding. Two days later the hyhena's, & all the othe scavengers had a frenzy.

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetah2111 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:33 am

I took this road last Sunday in the afternoon.
The top right part of the road (near the Timbavati picnic spot) was prolific with wildlife.
Saw plenty of raptors and consistant sightings of waterbuck, kudu, zebra, wildebeest giraffand impala. Also a herd of 30 or so buffalo. Also saw a dead buffalo being devoured by a huge flock of vultures!
The stretch towards orpen road was very quiet though. three out of 5 in the car fell asleep :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by adw » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:47 pm

The following series of photos highlight the drama I experienced on the Timbavati Road very close to the Ratelpan Bird Hide.
It was during the early afternoon (my Nov 2010 trip) and just before the bird hide there is a river view just off the road.
As I turned into this river view I saw a herd of Buffalo chewing the cud and lying down in the riverbed.
As I was stopping the herd suddenly got up and ran into the reeds.
At first glance I thought I had frightened them with my 4x4 which I thought unusual as Buffalo just don't scatter for a vehicle.
I picked up my camera to see if I could get a picture of the herd when I suddenly saw what had caused the commotion.
A charging Lioness came out of the reeds towards the Buffalo.
The photos are not the best because of the reeds and distance involved.

This photo shows the Lioness streaking towards the herd of Buffalo.

This photo shows the Lioness targetting a bull separated from the herd

This photo shows the rest of the herd fleeing for their lives
I will post the remaining photos shortly
Rhino Poaching - Highlight's man's stupidity and greediness.

adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by adw » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:59 pm

After these photos were taken the buffalo and lioness ran out of sight (further up the river).
I could however hear the buffalo snorting and the next two photos show that the herd had obviously regathered and turned on the Lioness who decided that discretion was the better part of valour.

This photo shows two of the bulls which had regrouped and chased the lioness off empty mouthed.

This photo shows the Lioness walking back towards the riverbank after abandoning the hunt. No doubt the tables will be turned and she will victorious but for now the Buffalo won.
Rhino Poaching - Highlight's man's stupidity and greediness.

bornfree

Unread post by bornfree » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:01 pm

Superb shots of the sequence of events :clap: :clap:
Your lioness is in lovely condition.

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up:

Bornfree.
"If I had only one day left in Africa, I would choose to spend it with a pride of lions."
- Gerald Hinde

Manovo-Gounda

Unread post by Manovo-Gounda » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi adw,

Thanks for sharing these series of photos taken on the Timbavati Road - good stuff :clap:.

I've had some good cheetah and lion sightings on this road too.

Cheers
Manovo-Gounda
Latest Lifers Europe: greater short-toed lark, western capercaillie, ashy-headed wagtail
Latest Lifer Africa: Taita fiscal, rosy-patched bush-shrike, slaty egret

Next trip to Kruger: 25.7-3.8 2014, Bird list KNP: 257 species

Aquilla

Unread post by Aquilla » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:37 am

I drove this road one during a heatwave a few years ago. The temp was 43.5 degC!!!
we saw nothing on the road except a lone female leopard walked right in front of us carrying a young cub in her mouth..... fantastic!

And back in 1978 whilst still at school, we had a dead wildebeest lying on the east side of the road. There was no sign of any predators. Amazingly, 2 leopards appeared and began feeding on the fresh carcass. All of a sudden, 2 lionesses appeared from the west side of the roads and headed straight for the leopards in attack mode. One leopard got away and the other one went up a tree and was cornered there by one of the lions......it eventually went on to feed and the second leopard got away. Probably my best and most unusual sighting of all time....

Manovo-Gounda

Unread post by Manovo-Gounda » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi adw,

I've seen lions on different locations on the S39 including a pride just at the entrance of ratelpan birdhide :huh:. I saw a cheetah 2-3 km north of Piet Grobbler dam walking on the gravel road. With cheetah I've actually had more luck on the closeby H7 tar road so far.
Latest Lifers Europe: greater short-toed lark, western capercaillie, ashy-headed wagtail
Latest Lifer Africa: Taita fiscal, rosy-patched bush-shrike, slaty egret

Next trip to Kruger: 25.7-3.8 2014, Bird list KNP: 257 species

Zorilla

Unread post by Zorilla » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:00 pm

We loooove this road :lol: . We often find this road to be quiet-ish to dead from the H7 to about halfway to the Timbivati picnic spot. There after this road is a gem, all the way past roodewal. We see Lion, Leopard and cheetah (Often close to the intersection with the baobab) on this road, not to mention the leopard in the river bed at Timbivati Picnic spot this last december.

Lovely and scenic, one of the best in the park IMOA. Its constantly changing which adds to its character!

My suggestion would be to drive this road early in the morning, as we have seen the majority of our big sightings on this road before breakfast.

cheetah2111

Unread post by cheetah2111 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:12 am

The section of the road West of Timbavati can be quiet sometimes. As was the case when I was there. However multiple leopard pins on the road :shock: :dance: :D

The road to the North of the picnic spot is a winner though! Especially in winter when it is cold! Because added to the common game sightings along the road you have a guarentee of seeing hippo and crocs out the water :D :D :D
Kruger 2014!!!

cheetah2111

Unread post by cheetah2111 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:22 pm

shaheen wrote:hi..
on the 19-06 on the S127 which becomes the S39 we were lucky to see a mom and 3 large cheetah cubs.
They were attempting to bring down young kudus and missed.
Amazing to see them run. This was just as you get onto the S127

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The s127 shows cheetah promise ... being such open grassland. I've never been so lucky as to see cheetah near satara. or anywhere in Kruger for that matter :evil:
Kruger 2014!!!

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by o-dog » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:51 pm

kallis1786 wrote:Hi people. how is everyone, I heard that white lions can be spotted on the S39 and would like to know whether these rumours are true or not

Howzit kallis1786 :thumbs_up:

You probably know most of this but the only White Lions in the wild at the moment are 2 that have been born in the Timbavati reserve bordering Kruger (their age must be about 1.5 -2 years if i remember correctly). This road is relatively close to the Timbavati reserve and sometime in the future there will probably be new white lion cubs in the area as the genes are found in this lion population. As things stand at the moment, there have been no recent reports from KNP. People often claim to see white lions but most of the time its just pale lions in strange light....if more white lions are viewed, I promise there will be much said about it...hopefully you can be the first one to find them for us all :wink:

:thumbs_up:
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

cheetah2111

Unread post by cheetah2111 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:20 am

Brilliant road this one! :D Very scenic. Always drive at snails pace on this road! These beauties popped out of nowhere between the H7 and Timbavati :D

Kruger 2014!!!

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tent dweller » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:17 am

cheetah2111, wow!!! what a fantastic sighting, you are right, you need to drive at a snails pace and just be prepared for the unexpected
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”