Skip to Content

Thoughts on our itinerary?

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
kiwi_camper

Thoughts on our itinerary?

Unread post by kiwi_camper » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:58 am

Hi there guys,

Two kiwi campers returning to the Kruger for our second ever visit! So excited! :dance:

We will be in the Kruger in April 2017 for ten nights, staying at the following campsites:

- Shimuwini (1 night)
- Tsendze (2 nights)
- Tamboti (1 night)
- Lower Sabie (3 nights)
- Berg-en-Dal (2 nights)

Because the south can apparently get quite busy during the Easter holidays, we planned to stay in the north for the last few days of SA school holidays, that is why we started in Shimuwini and Tsendze. However, looking at the map we are now a little worried that the distance between Tsendze and Tamboti and again the distance between Tamboti and Lower Sabie may be too great to do in a day.

Do people thing these two drives are manageable? Should we forgo one night in Tsendze for two nights in Tamboti so that we have a days break between two large drives?

We have read so many favorable opinions of both camps it is very hard to know what to do.

Hoping someone can give us some advice,

Thanks in advance :gflower:

Karin Mitton
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Thoughts on our itinerary?

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:14 am

kiwi_camper, your itinerary sounds fabulous! I will also be in Kruger in April, and am also very excited.

The longest distance I have travelled between camps are from Satara to Skukuza. I left at gate opening time, did a short drive around Satara and was at Skukuza just after 14h00. That included a few stops at some entertaining sightings and the picnic spot.

If you leave early and stick to the tar roads, you will be able to cover the distances in a day. I normally do that to ensure I get there in time, and then I can still do a short afternoon drive if time allows. Obviously if you find some exciting sightings it could slow you down, but that is par of the fun!

bushguy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bushguy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:28 am

I'll give you some advice, as long as you promise not to beat us up too much on Saturday ! :lol:

April gates open from 6am-6pm so you have 12 hours travel time.

Tsendze to Tamboti - about 150 km (make it 160 for detours) = 6hours @25km/hour. Imminently doable and as you can only check in at 2pm you would need to be on the road for that time anyway. There are great roads from Olifants down, so you could even take longer and only get to Tamboti later as long as you get to Orpen gate for check in with enough time to drive the few Km to Taboti before closing.

Tamboti - LS - 137 km, so even easier . Also you would not have to pack tents etc as you will when leaving Tzendze.

Now 25km/h is what you should average if you are doing a bit of stopping/popping into a camp for loo break etc. but when you are moving, you would need to be doing closer to the 50km/h to make up.

My opinion is that 2 nights in Tamboti would be better than Tzendze - only my opinion though and I am not a camper !

Hope this helps !

BG
Spring is sprung, Der grass is riz, I wonder where dem boidies is?
Der boids is on der wing,
Ain't dat absoid?
Der wings is on de boid!

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RemiE » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:35 am

Hi kiwi-camper
Your itinerary is doable, so envious actually. I do however agree with bushguy, two nights in Tamboti instead of the one night. I would also recommend maybe to move your two nights at Berg and Dal to Crocodile Bridge but that is just my opinion. Regarding distance, on our previous visit we drove all the way from Crocodile Bridge to Letaba in one day. We had the necessary stops, did some game viewing but we didn’t venture of the tar road and we travelled well below the speed limit. I will add doing that 196km was daring and will not be repeated..............especially in that heat. but it was awesome to see the change in diversity
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: Mother Nature’s Mood Swing – KNP 2016

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:12 am

Hi kiwi_camper and a warm welcome. :gflower:

I am going to second Remi's suggestions. I love Tzendze, but think that Tambotie is a better camp for the infrequent visitor. It has a wider variety of eco zones and better sighting opportunities.

The distance is do-able. I also prefer Croc Bridge to Berg na Dal. Again, it has to do with roads and eco systems.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:23 am

Welcome kiwi_camper
I too will second Remi's suggestions, having to break camp after one night, and hopefully in the rainy season :pray: , will make it a very long day.
I frequently do Tamboti to Shingwedzi :D but the trick is to be the first one out of the camp gate in the morning and to stay on the tar roads.
Enjoy your planning, it is great fun
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me

Shingwedzi 24-27 December 2016
Tamboti 28 to 30 December 2016
Olifant's 31 December 2016
Skukuza 01.01.2017 :clap: Lake Panic

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:41 am

Sounds like a fabulous trip. I agree with the others on most of their points.

I have never stayed at Tzendze, but have heard good reports of the camp and the staff there. I love Tamboti and would, myself, go for at least 2 nights there.

I also prefer Crocodile Bridge camp and area to Berg en Dal.

The problem is that every camp is different in every way - area, landscape, geology, accommodation, staff, adjacent roads, etc. etc., so it is very difficult to choose a perfect itinerary. Also, each visitor is looking for something different and what might suit me, might not suit you!! Choice also depends on availability and that can sometimes cause the problems.

Good luck and I hope you have a great trip when the time comes.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

kiwi_camper

Unread post by kiwi_camper » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:31 am

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply, life got on top of us :redface:

Thank you all so much for your quick replies! Really appreciate it. :D

We agree that Tamboti probably has better sighting opportunities between the two camps, however as Hippotragus stated, availability may be a limiting factor in getting an additional night at Tamboti. As it stands we have never camped in Africa before and are looking forward to the experience! :dance: (So even if we can’t manage to get an extra night at Tamboti, I’m sure we will still be enjoying ourselves). And Nkulu, we really don’t mind breaking camp in the rain, in fact we hope we bring some rain with us from NZ! You guys need it so much. :pray:

We are glad to hear that the distance is doable in a day. Guess I’ll just have to suck it up and live with the two long days of driving. Taking it easy around Tzendse before the long drives will I’m sure help me charge up my driving batteries. 8)

So as it stands, we will try and get another night at Tamboti, but if we can’t… no worries!

Given that there are potentially some amazing animals sightings around the Tamboti area, we were planning on booking a night drive there to maximize our chances of seeing things. So even if I’ve had a long day’s drive and will have to endure another long drive the next day, we still believe the night drive will be worth it. :thumbs_up:

bushguy wrote:I'll give you some advice, as long as you promise not to beat us up too much on Saturday ! :lol:

BG

And bushguy, sorry about Saturday! Spoke to the boys and asked them to take it easy… but I guess they didn’t listen :lol: . Oh well, there’s always next time. Hehe. :twisted:

Thanks everyone for the advice and help

All the best

kiwi_camper

bushguy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bushguy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Kiwi camper

Anything under a 50 point difference was" going easy " !

When we were in NZ in 2013 , you were in a severe drought, of course until we started touring! Then the heavens opened! So new request: (seeing as you have no influence on the ABs ) bring some rain please
Spring is sprung, Der grass is riz, I wonder where dem boidies is?
Der boids is on der wing,
Ain't dat absoid?
Der wings is on de boid!

Mischief
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:00 am

bushguy wrote:Kiwi camper

Anything under a 50 point difference was" going easy " !

When we were in NZ in 2013 , you were in a severe drought, of course until we started touring! Then the heavens opened! So new request: (seeing as you have no influence on the ABs ) bring some rain please

Your countdown is on the fast track now but I second BG..bring some rain please :lol:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

kiwi_camper

Unread post by kiwi_camper » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:35 am

Hahaha! :D

We will do our best to bring some rain :tongue:

Captainron

Unread post by Captainron » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:39 am

A day driving in Kruger is not a chore like it is when you travel between cities on a normal holiday. Being out on the road is why you are off to Kruger and I hope that the longer days reap rewards.

I am sure that you are going to love the place and we look froward to updates and pictures.
10000k's away and longing to be there

Skukuza - 15 Jan 17
Satara - 16/17 Jan 17
Berg en Dal - 18/19 Jan 17

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”