Skip to Content

Shimuwini vs Sirheni

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Jockv

Shimuwini vs Sirheni

Unread postby Jockv » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:56 am

Having visited both camps for the first time during the past holidays, I just want to give my impressions on both.

We spent 2 nights at both and arrived at Shimwuwini on 27/12 and was allocated unit 9. Wow, what a beautiful camp :hello: . Green lawns, stunning river view (even when laying in bed !!) Nice bathroom.......I liked the shower and the fact that the toilet, although in the bathroom, has a door making it private. The double bed was very comfortable and there was a plug point in the spacious bedroom. The communal freezers at the gate had more than enough space for all our frozen food. A BIG plus of this camp is the pool which was a welcome relief in the blistering heat :D :D

It was with a sad heart that we left on Tues 29/12 to proceed to Sirheni. :( We took the S56 Mpongholo loop north of Shingwedzi which in my opinion is one of the most scenic roads in the park. I started looking forward to our stay at Sirheni and was very pleased to learn that we were allocated unit 15 which has an unobstructed view of the dam. Boy, was I disappointed when we saw that there is no longer a dam, just a bone-dry river !!!! :cry: :cry: It must have been a stunning place when the dam was there, but I was very sad. The unit is more modern than Shimuwini's but I didn't like the sleeper couch in the living room. The bathroom has a shower over the bath and a very impractical plastic curtain which might just as well not have been there as the floor was turned into a swimming pool every time someone showered..... There isn't a pool which made life in camp very uncomfortable during the heat. There was also a plug point in the living room which helped as our camera batteries needed re-charging. The bedroom was very spacious with a very comfortable double bed.

It is 2 completely different camps and each has its own appeal but, for me, Shimuwini is the better camp. My wife preferred Sirheni as she said the unit is more modern.
A very big criticism I have of both camps are the fridges. They are very big but have no freezer compartment. I think it has to do with the fact that the generators are switched off at night. At Sirheni we bought the last bag of ice, but it melted within a hour or two.

I will definitely visit both again but will always have a softer spot for Shimuwini........

Elsa

Re: Shimuwini vs Sirheni

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:38 am

Warm welcome to the forum Jockv! :clap:
and thanks for the useful feedback on 2 very special camps, most interesting to see the comparisons you draw.

With regards the dam at Sirheni, there was a notification released some time ago on this Here which might offer some info for you as to why it was done.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread postby George_Brits » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Welcome to the SANPark Forums, Jocky. I hope your stay will be a pleasurable :clap: one!

I have to agree with you, having visited both on numerous occassions, Shimuwini crawled under my skin, when I visit the camp I dont even drive around, I have seen loads of spectacular sightings right from my comfy chair :lol:

alf

Unread postby alf » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:02 pm

Also visited both camps numerous times.

Had the privilege to stay at Sirheni a few times when the dam wall was still in place. It captured my heart immediately. Plenty of animals and birds then, but all that changed now and with a very sad heart my camp lost his charm.

Have been there last year also in unit 15 and it's so sad to see there's no water. It's not the same camp any more. At Sirheni you had more privacy than Shimuwini. The units are build further away from each other. It was the best camp in kruger for me.

After I heard they won't rebuild the dam wall my heart broke into pieces. Sirheni won't ever be the same again.
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Schoemanskloof

Re: Shimuwini water levels?

Unread postby Schoemanskloof » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:37 pm

Good afternoon all.

We are traveling to Kruger in early March, and have enjoyed Shimuwini in the past - for its solitude, wildlife and just for being in Africa! Lots of animal and birds made sitting in the came a nice escape.

We had heard that with the drought, the Letaba river and the dam at the camp is no longer, as they are now dry (or have been very recently). We also had been told by locals that the hippos, crocs and other life that relied on the water are no longer.

But when I reached out to the hospitality manager this morning, he told me by email that the river has and is running and that there is still the same level of hippo, cros and other wildlife coming to the water by the camp.

Can anyone confirm or deny? Some recent pics would also be wonderful. I was there in late September, and the water levels seemed precipitously low.

Thanks so much!

We are also staying for a night at the Shipandani hide, and would be interested in recent water levels/indicators for this water-course too.

Jockv

Unread postby Jockv » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:34 am

Hi Schoemanskloof,

We were there late Dec and the dam was full. The Letaba river itself was a mere stream, but I think after the rains it should be much better. I'll post some photos later.
There were lots of hippos and crocs as well.....not to mention ellies and buffs and waterbucks and giraffes etc. etc. etc who visited every day !! :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance:
Sirheni had absolutely zero water..............such a pity because it's such a beautiful camp :wall: :wall:

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”