Skip to Content

Numbi Gate

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
hamboneco

Re: Numbi Gate

Unread post by hamboneco » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:36 pm

Hallo: We four Americans are flying into Kruger-Nelspruit airport after a tortuous flight from the USA, renting a vehicle, and heading for Skukuza after a stop in White River for groceries. I had thought we would enter thru Numbi Gate instead of Kruger Gate simply so we could drive in Park longer. Now, from the Forum, I see there may be some "issues" getting to Numbi Gate, possibly related to safety or road conditions. Could someone please explain these to me clearly? Would it be better to go to Kruger Gate?? Thank-you.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Warm welcome to the forum hamboneco! :clap:

I would say 90% of the time its perfectly fine to drive to Numbi gate, there is the odd time there are a few issues but usually these are fairly isolated and we do try and keep the forum updated whenever I hear of any so as long as you are driving this area during the day and remain aware it should be fine.
So do check in here before your trip! :thumbs_up:
Kruger - 16th Feb to 8th March 2017

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:12 am

A warm welcome hamboneco :D

If you go through Hazyview to stock up, you should miss the trouble spots. The areas where there might be protests are usually before the intersection that turns off from Hazyview to Kruger. It is worth checking on the day though.

I often use the Phabeni Gate when I enter Kruger from Hazyview. It is a seamless drive to the gate and the S1 often provides a lovely start to the holiday. If you are tired, it might be a better option than Numbi.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:08 am

Hi There Hamboneco,

We live relatively close to Numbi Gate and in the past couple of months there have been no reported unsafe incidents at all.However they are still doing some road repairs to the huge potholes and resurfacing the road..so you may encounter a Stop/Go situation as well as fine gravel stones being flung up from the resurfacing.The people and livestock still tend to be a bit reckless crossing the road and that can make for some tense driving.

I support MMouse's suggestion,rather go in through Phabeni gate.Not much further about 35 minutes tops and excellent streamlining of traffic and visitors at the gate itself.

Have a simply awesome trip :D !
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:40 pm

Please all do be aware of the report posted by Mischief on the road conditions to Numbi Gate.
Advisory - road conditions en route to Kruger gates
Kruger - 16th Feb to 8th March 2017

Reza

Unread post by Reza » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:42 am

Hi All

Plan on doing a sneaky day trip in to Kruger on the 19th of March , expect it to be busy as the 21st is a Public holiday , I plan on entering Numbi gate as this, I think ,is closest coming from Lydenburg ?

Once entering through Numbi Gate, are there any recommended routes or loops ?
Duckling in training

Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:13 pm

Lydenburg-Long Tom-Sabie-Hazyview-Phabeni should be the shortest route?
Latest lifers: Double-banded Courser, Temminck's Stint, Red-necked Phalarope, American Golden Plover. Yellwo-throated Sandgrouse, Whiskered Tern, Sandwich Tern, Knysna Woodpecker

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Reza wrote:Hi All

Plan on doing a sneaky day trip in to Kruger on the 19th of March , expect it to be busy as the 21st is a Public holiday , I plan on entering Numbi gate as this, I think ,is closest coming from Lydenburg ?

Once entering through Numbi Gate, are there any recommended routes or loops ?

If you are hoping Numbi will have less traffic than Phabeni turn-off the R40 in Hazyview onto the R538 heading south for 8 km and turn left towards Numbi gate about 7 km away.

The routes I enjoy at Pretoriuskop are S3-S7-S10. Can't say you will be lucky but saw wild dog there and lions. Also try out Fayi loop for leopard. Then head east to Shitlhave dam, Nap rocks and Transport dam. Cheetah often seen on this road. East of transport traffic can become very busy. I avoid H4-1 and rather go to Renosterkoppies, Kwaggaspan and Biyamiti weir.

Will be in the park at the same time from 17 to 20 March. Will drive a lot as I've booked a few week back. 17 and 19 March at Berg en Dal and 18 March at Letaba.
Next trip: Kgalagadi in July 2017

Last trip: Tsitsikamma NP, Addo Elephant NP and Mountain Zebra NP

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”