Skip to Content

Shimuwini Bushveld Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
rodgerh
Guru
Guru

Re: Shimuwini Bushveld Camp

Unread postby rodgerh » Sat May 30, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks DB,I was there today to check my old friends but the people I worked with them is only Alida,Thomas and Phinius there,also Busi,but I didn't work eth here,I also saw shine today :clap: :thumbs_up:download/file.php?mode=view&id=2485
Attachments
P1090232.JPG
She still love people,but she doesn't know me now
P1090232.JPG (42.32 KiB) Viewed 408 times
AS WE ALWAYS WELCOME YOU AT TSENDZE GREAT PEOPLE,BE SAFE AND ARRIVE WELL TO YOUR CAMPSITE :)

Boslaaitie

Unread postby Boslaaitie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:51 am

Good morning. We are going to shimuwini in 3 weeks time. Can anyone help me please. I whant to know what is a nice 5 bed bangalow to stay in. I know the whole camp is nice but i talk about a number with a nice view of the dam and maby a tree neerby. How is number 15? Is the close veranda spoiilong the view or not. Looks like it is nice and cloce to the fenceand in th corner?

Thank u very much and have a lovely day

Waterbuck
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Waterbuck » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:19 am

Hi there Boslaaitie.
I will myself be in Shim's in about 4 weeks time. You've hit the nail on the head when you say the whole camp is nice. I personally prefer the view from the western units (no 14 and 11 if you are looking at 5-bed units), but it is more open with less trees. If you are looking for a bit of tree cover, the middle units are very good also (no 4,5,7,8 and 10 if you are looking at 5-bed units). No 15 that you are talking about is perhaps one of my all time favorite units in the whole of Kruger, with a glorious veranda, but it is a GC6 unit (the only one in the camp). You would have had to book it specifically. The units in the eastern corner have lots of tree cover. They are peaceful, but in winter they can be cool and I am not that fond of the view from them.
The walk up and down the front fence is so close and so accessible - I have stayed in most of the units and have always found myself quite comfortably enjoying the whole front fence. Hope this helps a bit.
Test you knowledge in the Forum Crossword HERE

Boslaaitie

Unread postby Boslaaitie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanx waterbuck. Think i'm going to go for 14. I like that side its just a big quieter and open infront and close to the fence. Im taking the wife to kruger for the first time so hope she will like it because kruger is the only place i whant to go to for holiday. Haha

rodgerh
Guru
Guru

Unread postby rodgerh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:05 pm

This is for you waterbuck :clap: ,you realy knows your place waterbuck,all huts numbers you mansioned it is the best one,as a I was cleaning hut number 5,7 and 6,6 is a 4 beds one,I was there from 98 to 2006.
AS WE ALWAYS WELCOME YOU AT TSENDZE GREAT PEOPLE,BE SAFE AND ARRIVE WELL TO YOUR CAMPSITE :)

MR1980

Unread postby MR1980 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:58 am

I just returned a couple of days ago form South Africa and the Kruger and also stayed 2 nights at Shimuwini from June 16th until June 18th and both my girlfriend and I loved the camp. It's such peacefull camp... We sat mostly in front of our chalet enjoying the birdlife and the waterfront and did one short drive to Mopani for supplies but didn't see much during the drive. Wildlife at the waterfront was really good with a large pod of hippo's almost in front of our chalet, we had number 13 by the way. The hippo's had 2 tiny calfs with them, very entertaining to watch! A large herd of elephants (about 25) was also one of the highlight of our stay. At first they played and drink water close to the hide and slowly they made their way along the riverbank up to our chalet, so great to see but we also saw waterbuck, impala, kudu & crocs. As I said birdlife in camp was also great with crested barbets, fish eagles, African green pigeons, brown hooded kingfishers en several other species.

And luckily Shine is also still in good health! :)

But the definite highlight were the pack of 7 wild dogs we found on the tar road close to the entrance to the private road going to Shimuwini on the morning we had to leave for Berg-en-Dal. We spent about an hour with them watching them and it was an awesome experience! They were totally relaxed lying on the road at first but slowly moved to the bushes next to the road during the time we were with them. Interaction between wild dogs is so entertaining... We're very grateful for the tip we got from some nice people on our way out of the camp to go left on the tar road instead of to the right as we initially planned so we could meet the wild dogs!! As most of you know luck plays a big part when watching wildlife, if we had chosen the river loop road out of camp we wouldn't have met these people and would simply have gone right and not left. Luckily we took the direct route out of camp.

On the other hand, we will never know what we would have seen when we had taken the river loop road... ;)

Conclusion? Shimuwini is awesome and defintively worth the drive up North!

Cheers,

Michel

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks for the feedback Michel, so glad your trip and stay at Shimuwini was so enjoyable.
The wild dogs sighting must have been the cherry on the top and as you say luck and being in the right place at the right time is of the essence. 8)
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

Waterbuck
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

R.I.P Shine

Unread postby Waterbuck » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:09 pm

I am not one to attribute human traits and emotions to wild animals, but sometimes animals become part of our human world and one cannot help holding a special place for them.
If you have had the privilege to have stayed in Shimuwini in the past 20 odd years, chances are that you would have met Shine; the resident Grey Duiker.

Shine has been a Kruger highlight for my family on a number of visits to Kruger since 2010, and we always discussed her with anticipation in the days before a trip to Shimuwini.
In her quiet and well mannered way she would always be around to add to the special character of the camp.
Although it is against policy, I know my kids would sneak some veg from the fridge to give to her when I was not looking.

Shine was found abandoned in 1995 and raised by bottle by Brenda Watts, wife of the former camp manager Frank Watts. In later years Shine would roam freely, mostly in the camp, but also venturing beyond its borders.

On visiting Shimuwini last month, I excitedly referred to Shine when I again saw the photo of her that hangs on the wall in reception. I must say I felt the tug of sadness when current camp manager, Christo Knox, informed me that she had been taken by a resident leopard just days before our arrival.

Over the years I have heard many funny and charming stories of Shine and I have seen many photos of her. My sister told one such story: slouched deep in one of those fold up camp chairs, she was relaxing in the early evening on the lawns of Shimuwini. When she got a wet poke in her neck she somehow managed to completely redesign the chair (never to function again) as she alighted with a shrill scream. It took a good session of piercing screams before she realized that it was Shine that had just popped in to say hi.......by which time the neighbors in camp had come running with torches!

I decided to start this threat to get some of your stories or photos of Shine.....as a tribute if I may. As I said, I don't like blurring the lines between the natural world and our human world, but Shine somehow humbly stood at the border between these worlds and somehow made me appreciate nature even more.

Here is one of my pics of Shine. Please post whatever you have.......
Test you knowledge in the Forum Crossword HERE

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: R.I.P Shine

Unread postby Son godin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:25 pm

It's very sad to hear about Shine,s death. I am sure many others will remember her and share some pics. Boslaaitie was also there early July and got some pics of her. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Oh no :cry:

I suppose that is the circle of life, and yes, it is in the wild and we should not humanise wild creatures, but still .... :(

We met Shine first in 1998, when Frank and Brenda were still at Shimuwini. Then again on visits back to the camp, and saw her for the last time earlier this year, in February and she was looking old and a bit wobbly on her legs.

20150224_184311.jpg

Travelstory

Unread postby Travelstory » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:44 pm

This is so sad. Shine had a great life and as I understand lived way beyond the year's expected. I had the great pleasure of meeting her while staying at Shimuweni November of 2013. She was a real treat and no doubt gave many a visitor lots of smiles. May she be smiling now from Heaven above knowing how much she'll be missed.

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread postby RosemaryH » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:52 pm

:cry:

We also "met" her in '98 DB, you were lucky to have seen her in Feb :gflower:

I am sure visitors to Shimuwini will always remember her.
Rose

Golden Rule of any SANPark - DO NOT feed or put food out for ANY species whatsoever!

Some great voting going on Don't Miss Out

penolva

Unread postby penolva » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:25 am

Little Shine, we spent a lot of time with her last September. On our last night when everyone else had gone to bed she quietly sat beside us as we watched the shooting stars seeming to enjoy our company as much as we did hers. A new star called Shine to look out for next time we are in Africa. Bless. :(

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:05 am

We have never stayed at Shimuwini, thus never met Shine personally. I only know about Shine through trip reports and pictures of her posted. So sad that she is gone, but that is nature.

I think it is wonderful to start this topic Waterbuck! I'm sure lots of 'mites will share their photos. :thumbs_up:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.
Kruger sleeps in March 2016
2 - 5: Skukuza
6 - 8: Crocodile Bridge
9 - 11: Lower Sabie
12 - 13: Biyamiti
14: Return home

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:12 am

I never met Shine, but her reputation had me looking for her every time some one wrote about Shimuweni.

She is not only an example of sweet beauty, but a sign of human empathy.

I think many will shed tears on this thread :cry: , even those who have not met her.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”