Skip to Content

Dams and Waterholes

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Bush Andy

Unread post by Bush Andy » Thu May 15, 2008 1:47 pm

Hey skywalker2251!

Not including dams but actual waterholes...
I would have to say:

Matjulu S110 near Berg-en-Dal

Sweni S126

Nyamarhi Spring H1-4

Renosterkoppies S114

Renosterpan H3

Bangu S90... Superb KNP atmosphere and good photography in late afternoon... Quiet :D !

Nwaswitshaka S65

Muhlambamadvube S23

Boyela H1-7

Klein Nshawu H1-6

so many more...
A bird in the hand should be in the Bush!! ;)

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Pjw » Thu May 15, 2008 6:05 pm

Have to say Renosterkoppies dam. For atmosphere and sightings, therfor for photography
For landscape Mlondozi
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by richardharris » Thu May 15, 2008 7:47 pm

This is becomming a problem worldwide. Even in the UK, there is a ford near where I live that we are regular advised not to enter during the summer due to poisonous algae.

I also remember almost walking into a lake near Welkom because the algae was so dense, it looked solid.

Warmer temperatures, water polution etc etc.

Richard

Riverrat

Unread post by Riverrat » Thu May 15, 2008 9:44 pm

An interesting point of debate: breaching the dam and influencing animal grazing patterns is really a type of farming. How do the Park's manamement determine what is natural , and must be left to remedy itself, versus what is man-induced and needs to be re-balanced by human inter-action.

Mgoddard
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mgoddard » Fri May 16, 2008 11:42 am

adw wrote:My two favourite waterholes are Duke's waterhole on the S137 and Leeubron waterhole on the S39. Both of these w/h are close enough for good photography and there are normally good sightings to be had.

Duke's waterhole had no water in when I was there in April. Maybe they had some more rain, but I dont think enough to fill it...

My fav must be Ratelpan (always had good sightings here and I think some of my best pictures during this trip came from here...(if you talking about waterholes and not dams) if dams then definately Sunset, Nsemani, Mestel, Silolweni and Transport Dams!! :D

skywalker2251

Unread post by skywalker2251 » Fri May 16, 2008 6:13 pm

A couple of my favorites include Biyamiti Weir, the Hippo pool just off the S25, and Nkaya pan.

My least favorite is the Mpondo Dam. It has been absolutely dead every time I've been there, and even if there was any activity, everything is very far away.

Richprins

Favourites

Unread post by Richprins » Mon May 19, 2008 8:02 pm

Skywalker has named virtually all my favourites! :(

I would like to add Klopperfontein.

Would like to disagree about Mpondo dam, though, as I've seeen weird and wonderful things there, including rhino, sable, and osprey nesting! :shock:

Roller

Unread post by Roller » Mon May 19, 2008 10:48 pm

The waterhole/hide at Talamati is always great, LOTS of animals, and you have a good chance of having it all for yourself.

skywalker2251

Unread post by skywalker2251 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:49 pm

Glad someone has had good sightings at Mpondo. Perhaps I won't give up hope on it quite yet.

What is interesting about Klopperfontein? Never have been there, but may have to make an effort to go north so I can. Any pics from Klopperfontein?

ggreensill

Unread post by ggreensill » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:53 pm

My favourites have to be

*Dukes water hole on the S137 (When it has water)
*Nwaswitshaka on the S65
*Renosterkoppies on the S114
*Not sure of the name but small water hole on S21 (closer to the Lower Sabie side)
All are great in terms of game numbers in the area and are close enough for good photography.
Just another tough day in Africa!!!

Jock
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sunset Dam Green

Unread post by Jock » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:03 am

Thought you would like to see these pictures we have taken of Sunset Dam, my favourite place in Kruger. This green algae is bad as you can see by the pictures. Can anyone official tell us what are the plans? Will Sunset Dam need to be drained?

Cheers
Her Highness Jockelina

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:22 am

Worryingly this is not water lettuce but very poisonous algae. Other dams that have got like this have killed animals coming to drink there.

We watched a spoonbill wading through and just leaving a slimy trail through it. It is very worrying.

I'm with Jock, it would be interesting to know what the ranger intends to do to prevent the animal deaths that have been seen at other dams.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Pjw » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:54 pm

Those pitures are of great concern Jock! I think everyone loves Sunset dam and to have to drain it would be very very sad :cry:
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:14 pm

I read recently (?latest Kruger Times) that they plan to pump water in to dilute the algae and then will monitor the situation. They do not want to drain it because of the tourist value/interest - but obviously will do so if it becomes necessary.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by oddesy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:31 pm

This is not good news at all, sunset dam is definately one of my favourite places with almost always something to see. But i would rather it be drained than kill animals. Thanks for the up date Ecojunkie. I dont think that diluting it will help though as far as i know , as the algae can grow very , very rapidly if conditions are suitable so would it not just 'pollute' the added water as well?

Is there not some form of biological control that could be used ?

:( :(
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”