Camp Restaurants and recent quality

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Camp Restaurants and recent quality

Unread post by Stark » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:57 pm

Hello all,

While I mostly prepare meals while in the park, I do appreciate the convenience of a meal per day at the restaurants.

Social media is full with complaints about the temp solutions at Okifants, Letaba, and Satara. I assume these are best avoided - does anyone have recent experiences to share?

Thank you!
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb
Kruger Bound in May!
6-8 Berg-en-dal
9-11 Biyamiti
12-14 Satara
15-17 Letaba
18-20 Tamboti
21-22 Skukuza

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Camp Restaurants and recent quality

Unread post by Crested Val » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi Stark
I believe that the situation is as follows:
Mugg & Bean Lower Sabie is still functioning as a Mugg & Bean, and although we do see the occasional bad reviews, in the main visitors seem happy with the food and the service there.

Skukuza has a Cattle Baron, and the reviews there are wonderful..............I can vouch for that myself.............excellent food, good management and service.

Punda, Shing, Mopani and Berg en Dal are all Tindlovu, and seem to get mostly good reviews.

Then we have Satara Olifants and Letaba, who were Mugg & Bean but are no longer so. They are in arbitration, but are still functioning as ordinary restaurants and they have mixed reviews. Initially when they lost the M & B franchise, things were not so great, but since then I have seen more positive reviews though a few not so positive. :thumbs_up:

The shops are all pretty well stocked these days and nowhere near as pricey as they used to be, so you could maybe plan to eat at the restaurants, and if you really have a problem, maybe you could buy in at the shops and either braai, or cook a meal on the stove. :hmz:

Whatever you chose, wishing you the most wonderful visit. :thumbs_up:

I hope that helps!!!!

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:32 pm

I think the Letaba, Olifants and Satara "ex-M&B" restaurants are very up and down regarding food supply, attitude of staff etc.

The Wednesday before Easter GEJ and I had an early supper at Letaba and were happy with the service (with a smile) and the food. The menu was based on the old M&B menu, but fewer items. I had taken cold meat, salad and rolls in case we couldn't eat there - just donated it to our first supper at Nyarhi Rustic Bush Camp!

On the Sunday after camp (Easter Sunday) I went on my own to have an early supper at Letaba. The service was not nearly as good and the food was barely OK. Maybe I was more critical because I was on my own? I did strike up conversation with some of the other guests, but we didn't discuss the restaurant!

I feel sorry for the staff - they don't know what is happening and must be so worried whether they will have jobs in the future. It is no excuse for bad, surly service but one can understand the lack of motivation. Running short or out of stock is unforgivable - it is easy to see when stocks are running low and put in an order.

Stark - I hope you have pleasant experiences when you do decide to use any of the restaurants. It is a good idea to do mostly self-catering and just have the odd meal "out". Have a great trip!
Mokala 11-15 May 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon May 01, 2017 4:16 am

Stark we had a good meal at the Cattle Baron last December in Skukuza. No problems.

Stark enjoy your trip to the Kruger National Park :D May you have wonderful sightings :cam: and safe travels :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Mon May 01, 2017 6:40 am

Stark,we recently had an excellent omelette at Cattle Baron at Skukuza on the wooden deck.The day was hot 01/04/2017 and it was the first day of school holidays here in South Africa so the place was really crowded! We had good food and really great service even in those extremely hot and busy conditions.
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

isinkwe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Mon May 01, 2017 6:48 am

Mischief wrote:Stark,we recently had an excellent omelette at Cattle Baron at Skukuza on the wooden deck.

Why would they serve an omelette on the wooden deck and not on a plate ? :hmz: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by isinkwe on Mon May 01, 2017 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon May 01, 2017 6:53 am

I have always had good meals at the Cattle Baron at Skukuza - breakfast, lunch or dinner. Sometimes the service has been slightly slow, when the restaurant has been full, but food always good. Pleasant, friendly staff.

We have also had good meals at Punda Maria and Mopani (Tindlovu restaurants).
Mokala 11-15 May 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon May 01, 2017 7:41 am

Hi Stark, what about try the 'Boskombuis' option at Letaba? I know that they had a Boskombuis option at Olifants as well.

My daughter and I had a very pleasant experience at Tshokwane on our last trip. I would certainly give that a shot as well.

:thumbs_up: goes to Cattle Baron. They certainly have hit on the right formula.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon May 01, 2017 8:50 am

The Boskombuis (bush kitchen) option is a good idea and I know the Letaba one is still even catering for the bush braai's as well.
The is also one situated on the viewing deck at Olifants.
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

isinkwe

Unread post by isinkwe » Mon May 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Grantmissy wrote:Stark we had a good meal at the Cattle Baron last December in Skukuza.

December last year Grantmissy.Image Did I somehow miss that travel tale Image

and while you do that , how about another question in the history section of the quizzes Image Image
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon May 01, 2017 3:53 pm

The Cattle Baron, A wooden deck, An omelette and a missing plate :hmz: Isinkwe!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stark I agree with MM regarding the Tskokwane picnic site. We had a pleasant ecperience there and the atmosphere is always good. The shop is worth a visit and it remains relaxing to have a meal there or coffee whilst being surrounded by the bush :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”