Skip to Content

Talamati Bushveld Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Marblehead

Re: Talamati Bushveld Camp

Unread post by Marblehead » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:36 am

Meandering Mouse wrote:Marblehead, the staff will be available past gate closing time. While you will have to be at the gates by 18:00hrs, they will be available for admin and any requests. Sometimes people need to buy wood, go on organized drives. It can be a busy time.

Enjoy your stay. :thumbs_up:

Thank you for the info.

jameshardy

Unread post by jameshardy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:20 am

Considering booking this camp, can anyone update me on the current conditions of the bush after the rains and impact on game viewing.

Is May next month likely to be a good or poor time to visit.

We have booked 3 nights at olifants but want to try something different.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:25 am

James, to be honest if you are going to be staying at Hamiltons straight after your Olifants visit, it is virtually down the road from Talamati so you will be in the same area. Would you not prefer to see a different part/scenery of the park?
As I mentioned in my post for Olifants camps, the grass in the park is long and the Talamati area can be particularly so, but I haven't driven in that area this season so not entirely sure, but by May the grass does start dying down somewhat.
But really its the luck of the draw and the park is looking magnificent after the terrible drought, so one just has to drive slowly and keep em eyes peeled.
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

jameshardy

Unread post by jameshardy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:54 am

Elsa wrote:James, to be honest if you are going to be staying at Hamiltons straight after your Olifants visit, it is virtually down the road from Talamati so you will be in the same area. Would you not prefer to see a different part/scenery of the park?
As I mentioned in my post for Olifants camps, the grass in the park is long and the Talamati area can be particularly so, but I haven't driven in that area this season so not entirely sure, but by May the grass does start dying down somewhat.
But really its the luck of the draw and the park is looking magnificent after the terrible drought, so one just has to drive slowly and keep em eyes peeled.

Thanks so much for that. have taken your advice onboard and we are heading down south for a few nights of our stay.

Trouble is many of the good rest camps are all full or close to it.

Any other ones you'd suggest?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:10 am

South is always going to more difficult to get booking for.
Have you looked at Skukuza, the biggest camp in the park, it has a lot of very good and productive roads all around that area and you could take a drive down as far as Lower Sabie and back.
Has a nice restaurant called the Cattle Baron, a good and well stocked shop as well.
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:03 am

Hello James, I agree with Elsa.

People are sometimes put of Skukuza, due to its size. Skukuza does, however, offer a very wide diversity of roads. It has the famous Lake Panic bird hide, the Skukuza nursery (a gem to visit), and Mathekenyane look out within a stone's throw. The golf course is another place to spend a bit of time on a meal away from the crowds.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:23 am

I tend to agree with MM and Elsa too, I have always been a Talamati addict, but, of late, I find myself going to Skukuza more and more, yes the roads are busy, yes there is a lot of people around but I usually plan a visit in the quiet season. I love the nursery, its becoming a favourite "picnic spot" for me. Love the golfcourse too armed with binoculars and a pie chips and gravy :)

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk

umtali1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)
Location: Comberton, Cambridge UK ...rejoicing at the beauty of planet Earth.Next trip booked.

Unread post by umtali1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:18 am

James, have you thought of staying at Pretoriouskop? It's within easy distance of Skukuza.
umtali1

2016 Reis Verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

2013 Mokala and KNP,
2015 "Cape Town to Namibia border" - Ebb and Flow, Karoo NP, Mokala, Augrabies & KTP

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”