Skip to Content

Tshokwane Picnic Spot

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
bornfree

Re: Tshokwane Picnic Spot

Unread post by bornfree » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:49 pm

During my recent stay, at least 8 days out of 10 this was my first stop in the early morning from LS. I was the first person there and was always welcomed with a friendly greeting and hot coffee. This spot is a favourite of mine since childhood days long before the shop and its tantalizing food. But it has lost none of its charm. It is still open to the wild and I often saw 3 of the big 5 grazing on its fence line. Yes it does get busy but the staff cope beautifully. I met a couple who complained bitterly that there was no water and the toilets were consequently overflowing, the next day I enquired and an elephant had broken a pipe carrying water to them. This to me was charming not a reason to get so upset. At least it wasnt hungry people desperate enough to dig up pipes to sell for money for food.
To the wonderful people at Tshokwane, your coffee and toasted egg and bacon were fabulous and your smiles and greetings a great way to start my day. Thank you.

A redhead in a silver Colt.
"If I had only one day left in Africa, I would choose to spend it with a pride of lions."
- Gerald Hinde

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:03 pm

All I have ever seen at Tshok, is a big bull ele disappearing down the side road there Elzet, and once a big buff 'pat' in amongt the tables & chairs, probably a night visitor.

Red Door??
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

DavidM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DavidM » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:36 am

Ah bornfree ...thanks for the kind words. I miss that redhead in the colt now!
Your point about that dreadful day when Tshokwane had NO water supply for a whole day brings me to a couple of points about places like Tshokwane.
Firstly running water, electricity, water treatment,refrigeration to mention a few comes at a premium here.
Running water gets pumped from 5km out and if there is a burst pipe or something similar , we do not have a plumber or maintenance guy on site like other camps do. You make a plan and beg others to come and help.
Electricity is generator powered and it costs a fortune. Telecoms is also never sure as it is via satelite and the mast solar driven.
So sometimes we do not have electricity, or credit card facilities or ice and we sometime run out of stock on certain items. People do not seem to have understanding for our set of circumstances and complain and write letters very quickly to complain.
Our hot water urn packs up very often due to the limestone in the water.
We have made a plan to boil water in a big pot on a gas stand behind the kitchen where we dish water from. One fancy lady thought it to be unacceptable and consequently had her husband write a letter of complaint to SANParks.
Keeping Tshokwane clean, preserving the feel of yester year and a sence of place while still providing all that customers expect is a hard act to follow.
I know that the people who are on this forum are probably understanding and more tolerant than others ...but I thought I would just mention it again.
This brings me to another point. Our menu and fare. I have decided a while ago to take the deep fryer out and to stop hamburgers, chips etc altogether.
I have upset a few already, I know, but I am sure they will be able to live with it. An elderly lady called me out of the office the other day and aggressively asked me why did I stop to make chips.
Explaining to her that the process of frying oil and grilling inside the shop made the shop dirty and smelly was not good enough. Showing her our menu with health rolls, bobotie, homemade venison pie, thai chicken curry, quiches etc still did not work. In the end I told her that she can drive to Skukuza, Lower Sabie or Satara and they will be happy to serve her chips. This upset her even more.(my legendary tact again!)
So be warned if you travel here and expected chips and a burger...we do not have them.
Oh and lastly...we do have a very fancy cappuccino ,espresso, ristretto,latte mmacchiato machine at the bar now. We also press fresh orange juice there.(winter months)
Et voila...enough for now.

Sakoro

Unread post by Sakoro » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:49 pm

Reading along with interest as we will be staying at nearby Satara in November. I'm amazed to hear that the picnic spots have food for sale let alone fancy coffee drinks like epresso!

Do all of the picnic spots in Kruger have similar amenities as Tshokwane?
Satara, Olifants and Orpen November 2009

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:25 pm

No Sakoro, only those south of Tshokwane, namely Nkuhlu on the 'N1' highway between Skuk and LS, where Wacktazz works, and Afsaal, on the Skuk to Malelene road.
The others are just pleasant 'fenced off' spots with tables, chairs and toilets, some (picnic spots that is) with a view.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:04 am

While visiting Tshokwane in Feb, a group arrived and the one woman immediately took out a bag of specially prepared breadcrumbs and started feeding the birds.
Within seconds she had what looked the entire Kruger park's Starlings and Hornbills around her. :roll: plus a few Monkeys of course.
Anyway Jock immediately marched over to her and informed her that she was not allowed to feed the birds, "Oh, I didn't know we were not allowed to feed the birds as well" was the answer. :huh:
Jock then told her to not only read the signs all over the place but also to read her entrance permit where the rules and regulations are plainly printed.
Anyway, we left shortly afterwards and she wasn't feeding them at that time but there was already enough crumbs on the ground to keep them going for a while. :roll:
Until folk are given huge fines on the spot for these transgressions, this is going to continue, I'm afraid.

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:43 am

I had a greater blue-eared starling poop into my boerewors and pap sheba from the tree overhead. Unappetising after that, I assure you. Many of the tables are under the magnificent trees - which I suppose they have to be - but that is one of the hazards of close bushveld contact, I suppose. :lol:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

painter
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by painter » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:16 am

Own, my SO got it got it on his head. :lol: :lol: Here is a mug shot - maybe one of them?

"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:21 am

Aren't we glad that elephants don't fly. :lol: :lol:

Geelwortel

Unread post by Geelwortel » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi RayK

A boerie is a long bread roll that has a boere wors(sausage) on it. Boere wors is a sausage that is normally made of beef with spices and then prepared on a gas or wood fire. It think it is the same as a bbq in USA. Sheba is a tomato and onion sauce. The combination is a South African favourite.
Hope this helps but the best explanation is to try it. :twisted:

This is off the topic, and I appologise for it, but can someone please give me a quick explanation of how to post pictures.

Timepilot
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Timepilot » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:43 am

When I was planning our trip recently I knew that we would be going BnD to Letaba - lunchtime very conveniently happened to coincide with going past Tshokwane :twisted: :twisted:

I must give my congrats - what a well organised site and the food is absolutely delicious.

I managed to scoff a venison pie and it was mmmmmmmmmm..... and then the SO and I shared a kudu wors, pap and sheba lunch with a side salad (fresh, crunchy and excellent).

Good grub and we took a couple of pics of the food prep to show some of the peops here - again, great, great place to stop.
“ Every year elephants were becoming scarcer and wilder south of the Zambezi, so that it had become impossible to make a living by hunting at all. ” FC Selous 1881

painter
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by painter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:34 am

During our trip last week we twice had a breakfast of boerewors, pap and sheeba. We have done this many times before and it has become a "must do" while in Kruger.
Thanks to Guepards' Dad :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Riverrat

Unread post by Riverrat » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:18 pm

Geelwortel wrote:Hi All

We where in the park again, after a 3 year absence, on the 21st to 23rd of August 2009. :D !!! We went to Tshokwane on the 21st and after reading the forum I decided to test Guepards dad's boerie roll with sheba, hope the spelling is correct, and I must say it was great and I would recommend it to everyone driving past. My mouth is starting to water again.

I would also like to congratulate Guepard and his team on the excelent job they are doing. My wife who introduced me to the park and who have been coming for years said that this is the best that she has seen this picnic spot and the service are also better than ever before.

:clap: :clap: Well done Guepard and team :clap: :clap:

I had one to...was awesome, got to the turnoff to Orpen Dam, made a U-turn and went back for a second...and THIRD :-)
Dr. Kevin Azzie

RESERVES were declared to keep natural areas in their wildest form.
KEEP IT THAT WAY!!

15 Mar: Satara
21-23 March: Shingwedzi
18-21 April Balule
9 May: Sand River Bush Camp

michel367

Unread post by michel367 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:10 am

Guepard. You and your dad are making this spot a "must visit".
Beautiful setting. Spotlessly clean and very well trained staff.
Glad that we have had the chance to meet you two a few times in the last few weeks.
I Take my hat off for you.
Well done.

My SO and the kids are really hooked on your Kudu rolls now after I let them taste it.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:15 pm

Boerrie roll in my neck of the woods costs a lot more..... and it comes minus the view.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”