Skip to Content

Shimuwini accomodation GD4-up to standard?

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
julane

Shimuwini accomodation GD4-up to standard?

Unread post by julane » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi,
I've booked a GD4 (one bedroom) unit for us and our two infants, but have read negative reviews regarding the cleanliness and general upkeep of the accommodation at Shimuwini. Can someone please put my mind at rest?
I'd also like to find out from regular visitors what the game viewing is like in winter. Or would we be better of in one of the camps South?
Lastly we will need an electrical connection for a baby monitor and to heat bottles. Is it possible to use the fridge plug with a multi plug/extension cord?
Thank you so much!

Elsa

Re: Shimuwini accomodation GD4-up to standard?

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Welcome to the forum Gulane! :clap:

I'm not sure where you heard that re Shimuwini, its a very popular little camp and usually gets good reviews!
You can have a look at some Accommodation pics
The game viewing is usually very good in Winter as the bush is thinner and more sparse, the available water less so the animals are often found at the regular water sources.
They switch the power/generator off at night, if I recall about 10pm so there will not be power overnight for the monitor if that is when you will be wanting it.
I seem to vaguely recall there being a sign asking that you not run alternative power off the plug point in the kitchen for the fridge, but maybe someone who has been there recently can confirm that.
You would possibly be better off in one of the larger camps like Letaba with power all night with young infants?

Bazzerk84

Unread post by Bazzerk84 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi there Julane,

We stayed over at Shimuweni in June, and I have to say that we were not happy with our 4 sleeper chalet. I think the issues were two fold - aesthetics and then general cleanliness/wear & tear.

The unit we stayed in had a loft upstairs which made the ceiling seem very low. Inside walls were painted a dark yellow colour which darkened the inside and provided a somewhat dingy feel. So already, to us, the unit felt a little gross.

This was not helped by the actual dirty kitchen walls and a sink that was so badly stained, we didn't want to use it. I can honestly say that it was the first time that I have ever not wanted to stay in a bungalow because I questioned its cleanliness, state of the bed sheets etc.

I could not even scrub myself clean because we had no hot water!

Luckily, we were there for only one night and were leaving for home the next day, so we weren't stuck there for our entire break.

I just think that the unit we stayed in was desperate for a revamp. For example, no amount of scrubbing was going to get that sink clean - it needed replacing!

Because of its spectacular location on the river, I can understand its popularity but, I wouldn't go back until it gets spruced up a bit.

If logistics permit, try the higher up bush camps - Bateleur or Shimuweni.

Earlier in the trip, we stayed at the latter, and it was phenomenal! Equally superb is Bateleur and we are returning there next month. Perhaps these two had set the bar far too high because our expectations were not met at Shimuweni. What we have learnt is that not all bush camps are created equally!

Enjoy your upcoming trip!
KNP June 2017 (2 nights Sirheni, 3 nights Punda Maria, 1 night Mopani, 1 night Shimuweni)

Planning for KTP in 2018 :mrgreen:

Check out my wildlife photography on Instagram @bazz.matt.wildlife

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:42 pm

That doesn't sound good Bazzer and I do hope you sent in a detailed report of all those issues to customercare@sanparks.org as soon as you returned home.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:49 pm

julane wrote:Hi,
I'd also like to find out from regular visitors what the game viewing is like in winter. Or would we be better of in one of the camps South?
Thank you so much!

We used to live in Phalaborwa, and travelled the H14 often.......below are a few of the animals we met near to the Shimuwini turning.

Grysbok.JPG

Leppie on mound.JPG

You lookin at me..JPG

Young Hynie.JPG

Young Leppie Close Up.JPG

Zeb in the Road.JPG
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

Bazzerk84

Unread post by Bazzerk84 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Elsa wrote:That doesn't sound good Bazzer and I do hope you sent in a detailed report of all those issues to customercare@sanparks.org as soon as you returned home.

Hi Elsa,

I did submit all of my comments with the guest feed back survey that was sent to me...
KNP June 2017 (2 nights Sirheni, 3 nights Punda Maria, 1 night Mopani, 1 night Shimuweni)

Planning for KTP in 2018 :mrgreen:

Check out my wildlife photography on Instagram @bazz.matt.wildlife

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:46 pm

:thumbs_up:

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”