Skip to Content

Berg & Dal Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Berg & Dal Rest Camp

Unread postby Stoffel » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:50 pm

We'll be camping in B&D from Saturday 17 Oct for 5 nights. Looking forward to a stay in one of my favourite camps. I reckon it is not necessary to drive any other routes than the circular S110. Fantastic wild dog and leopard "country". We normally drive it at gate opening time, come back for a shower and breakfast - then drive it again to be back in camp over noon. And then again during the late afternoon. If you need a toilet - Malelane gate is a very convenient stop-over. to think we have 4 full days of following this ritual. And during May/June 2016 eight nights in Maroela, 4 in Crocodile Bridge, 7 in Pretoriuskop and ending it off with 7 in Berg-&-Dal again.
Chris Boucher
26 Apr - 1 May Karoo
6 - 12 May - Punda Maria
13 - 18 May - Shingwedzi
19 - 25 May - Tsendze
26 - 28 May - Letaba
29 - 31 May - Balule
1 - 4 June - Maroela
5 - 7 June - Crocodile Bridge
8 - 12 June - Lower Sabie
16 - 19 June - Addo

Toddelelfe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Toddelelfe » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:11 pm

Stoffel wrote:We'll be camping in B&D from Saturday 17 Oct for 5 nights. Looking forward to a stay in one of my favourite camps. I reckon it is not necessary to drive any other routes than the circular S110. Fantastic wild dog and leopard "country". We normally drive it at gate opening time, come back for a shower and breakfast - then drive it again to be back in camp over noon. And then again during the late afternoon. If you need a toilet - Malelane gate is a very convenient stop-over. to think we have 4 full days of following this ritual. And during May/June 2016 eight nights in Maroela, 4 in Crocodile Bridge, 7 in Pretoriuskop and ending it off with 7 in Berg-&-Dal again.

Both trips sounds good in my ears :clap: I am a little bit :mrgreen:

Happy sightings Stoffel :pray:
:dance: Plane is booked, KNP, i am on a mission :doh:
+/- 25.11.-03.12.2016
:lol: 8) :cam:
2 Nights Pretoriuskop, 3 Nights Napi Trail (i am so excited!). 1 Night Lower Sabie, 2 Nights Biyamiti
2014 TR from KNP

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread postby George_Brits » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:59 am

Sounds awesome to me, stoffel. I hope you have a wonderful trip and awesome sightings. We will be on the watchout for your trip reports just to make us EXTRA jealous!!

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stoffel » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:54 am

We returned from a wonderful 5 nights in Berg-&-Dal. Phew - what fantastic sightings we had. We saw leopard on 4 occasions - the one only 2 km from camp (on the tar road), returning to its zebra foal kill that was hanging over a branch of a wild fig tree. We noticed the carcass of the zebra foal hanging over the branch during the first few days, but thought it to be very old and did not expect the leopard to return. But on our last day we were entertained with the leopard devouring the last bit of its kill in the tree.

We also had the privelege of seeing two lions (4.5 km from camp - also on the tar road) that have killed a young buffalo calf. Returning to the scene later that day, there was nothing left of the buffalo calf, but the number of lions increased to six (four semi-grown cubs has joined).

We also saw our first black mamba in the park, a huge snake that was given away by the grey louries. This time we were not fortunate with wild dogs, although quite a few people was lucky finding them. When we entered the park at Malelane Gate we were told that a pack of wild dogs was next to road (H3) where it crosses the Matjulu. I guess it was the same pack that was noticed at different spots around Berg-&-Dal, but we never saw them.

We also saw 4 lions on the S120 (Steilberg Road). General game was plentiful in spite of the area being extremely dry.

We camped in Berg-&-Dal - only the second time as we have stayed in chalets on all our other visits. The last time I camped there was in November 1999. I have to say that the ablution facility we used (first one on the left hand side) was appalling. I did report it in my feedback, but I truly hope that something will be done about the matter. We met a young Dutch girl (who was travelling alone for two weeks in the park) at the kitchen one night. She told us that if it was not for the fact that she knew she needed a shower, she would not have used the facilities. She started in the north and travelled right through the park. Berg-&-Dal was her worst experience of ablution facilities. She was extremely impressed with the ablutions in Lower Sabie. We camped in Letaba and Satara during July 2015, and although not great, the ablutions were very acceptable. But Berg-&-Dal's facilities (or rather the one that we used) were actually a disgrace for SANParks.
Chris Boucher
26 Apr - 1 May Karoo
6 - 12 May - Punda Maria
13 - 18 May - Shingwedzi
19 - 25 May - Tsendze
26 - 28 May - Letaba
29 - 31 May - Balule
1 - 4 June - Maroela
16 - 19 June - Addo

anne catherine

Unread postby anne catherine » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks for reporting Stoffel :D

I will stay three nights there next week,but in a bungalow.

Though i have already stay in BED,i have never drive the S120.

Seems this road is not always in good conditiions for a sedan;did you had a 4X4 and how did you found the road?

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stoffel » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:39 am

Hi anne catherine

I have never been particularly lucky with sightings on the S120 in the past (and I actually stopped driving it). It can sometimes be a bit rough on the incline from the H3 side, but can still be easily handled with a sedan vehicle. The winding downhill part towards the junction with the S110 is easy going and quite scenic. The view from the top of Steilberg offers wonderful vistas in about all directions.

I did not plan to drive on the S120 during our last visit. We were on our way back to camp (after driving the S119 and S118 - both with great sightings), when somebody stopped me on the H3 and told us about the lions on the S120. A sudden change in route plans made us drive the S120 - the first time since 2004. It was obvious that quite a lot of people heard about the lions as we experienced a bit of congestion at the sighting. However, the vast majority of vehicles were sedans.

We drove it again two days later (in the opposite direction) - and had the whole road for ourselves with sightings of buffalo, duiker, dwarf mongoose and kudu. Plus a magnificent view of a bateleur in a dead tree next to the road.

In the nine times that I have driven this road (since 1989), we have seen, notwithstanding the species mentioned above, vervet monkeys, zebra, squirrels, giraffe, klipspringer, elephant, impala, warthog & steenbok. It is quite a good road for kudu.
Chris Boucher
26 Apr - 1 May Karoo
6 - 12 May - Punda Maria
13 - 18 May - Shingwedzi
19 - 25 May - Tsendze
26 - 28 May - Letaba
29 - 31 May - Balule
1 - 4 June - Maroela
16 - 19 June - Addo

anne catherine

Unread postby anne catherine » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi Stoffel

Thanks very much for all these precisions on the road and your sightings there :D .

First i planned to drive the S120,as i never drove this road before and i read one year in a travel tale of Pumbaa it was a scenic road.They also saw a lot of birds during the drive.I think they had a 4X4 during that trip.
But some months later,i read in an other trip report that the road was in poor conditions and not really suitable for a sedan.
I experienced in the past some gravel roads who were in very good condition one year and in a very bad condition an other year,so i was interesting by your recent experience :D
So,i will give the S120 a try unless it rains a lot :?

During my trip,i will concentrate on birds,but every other sigthing will be welcome,as for photos i like also a lot antelopes or baboons and more

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Skukuza 6-7 november
Pretoriuskop 8-9 november
Berg en Dal 10-11-12 november
Crocodile Bridge 13-14 november
Lower Sabie 15-16 november
Skukuza 17-18 november

MarisN

Unread postby MarisN » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:58 pm

Stoffel I have to agree with you on the Ablutions at Berg&Dal, it was in a state when we camped there in August 2015 and although I took it up with Camp Management, followed up by mail and mentioned it in my feedback from up until this day nothing has been done and no feedback has been provided.

We won't stay there anytime soon and we moved our December booking to Lower Sabie instead.

The game viewing seemed a bit disappointing as well in that region when we were there, but maybe we were just unlucky!
Dec 2015/Jan 2016:

17 - 20 Dec 2015 - Lower Sabie
20-21 Dec 2015 - Tamboti
21 - 24 Dec 2015 - Olifants
24 - 26 Dec 2015 - Letaba
26-28 Dec 2015 - Shimuwini
28 - 31 Dec 2015 - Mopani
31 Dec - 2 Jan - Letaba
2 - 3 Jan - Olifants

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stoffel » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:52 am

I received reaction from Ms Londiwe Masondo - Customer Services Consultant (Marula Region) on my internet feedback to SANPArks:

[i]Kindly note that the concerning issues mentioned below are receiving the necessary attention from the camp management. On behalf of KNP management, kindly accept my apologies for the inconvenience endured.

Should you require a response or assistance in this regard, please do not hesitate to contact me.
[/
i]

I also had reaction on another forum from one of the assessor's of the local Tourism Grading Council who suggested that I should address the matter to Kagisio Tlhobolo who can be contacted at kagisio.tlhobolo@sanparks.org of Tel. 012 426 5082. He is the Senior Manager: Tourism Standards at SANParks.
Chris Boucher
26 Apr - 1 May Karoo
6 - 12 May - Punda Maria
13 - 18 May - Shingwedzi
19 - 25 May - Tsendze
26 - 28 May - Letaba
29 - 31 May - Balule
1 - 4 June - Maroela
16 - 19 June - Addo

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”