Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Renovated BD2U units at Lower Sabie

Unread post by Leanawel » Thu May 29, 2014 3:44 pm

Carol g and McLeanMike

I do not know whether they have renovated the BD2U's in the last year, but in 2012 the BD2U's have an open veranda (patio) with a kitchen, a table and chairs, basin and cupboards. Glass sliding door leading to the bedroom.

The BD3U's have an enclosed kitchen (glass sliding door to the veranda in front and to the bedroom on the other side) with a table, chairs, basin, fridge and the 3rd bed on one side.

But maybe this has changed from then :hmz:

Leana

Bushbaby100

Unread post by Bushbaby100 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Leana is right. The BD2U's kitchen is indeed on the veranda. Stayed there just the other day.
The "virtual tour" of the kitchen on the BD2U is indeed wrong - it shows the BD3U's kitchen.

WildThing
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by WildThing » Thu May 29, 2014 4:41 pm

All the BD2U's have been renovated, and the kitchen is outside on the covered patio. All the BG2 (which are on the inside curve of each row of perimeter bungalows) have all been renovated except for two they are working on. These units do not face the fence. They are for two people, have a covered patio, and an indoor kitchen area. They actually all look very nice.

Kaapsedraai
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Re: lower sabie

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:17 am

ilovenationalparks, a very warm welcome to the Forum :clap: :D

I love your name and so fitting :thumbs_up:

On the accommodation, we only stayed in FU4V and BD3U and they all have lovely views of the river and really enjoyable to stay in. The BD3U's are attached two-two to each other, but really great to stay in - 2 beds in the bedroom and another one in the kitchen area, but really tastefully done. :dance:

About the sunrise and sunset matter - I personally prefer a sunrise - Bush Walk and at sunset to rather do the drive. :D

All of the best with the planning. :thumbs_up:
Current - Table Mountain's mood today
Current - Dec'15: Mokala (7th), Kruger (10-24th), Golden Gate (25th) & Karoo (26th)
Finished - Bontebok NP 23-25 Sep'15, Agulhas NP Jul'15; West Coast NP Aug'15, Kruger Dec'14

Dabchick
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Dabchick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:10 am

Also not sure what 'negative things' you've read about, but if it was about the restaurant (likely) that's now sorted with Mugg&Bean & Debonairs being the new service providers :lol:

The only problem we've had in Lower Sabie were noisy (read drunk) neighbours - sorted out by the camp manager who came and had a talk to them about the sounds of nature being the preferred music in the park ... and with noisy staff on their way to/from work at 4:00 AM - this did not last long as they were only noisy for as long as it took for them to walk out of earshot of our bungalow - about 3 minutes :D

And the BD3U bungalows may just be the nicest and most comfortable bungalows in the park. With a well-designed bathroom and kitchenette. Not to mention the view. If you can get two attached BD3U units you'll be sorted with regards to your family of five. I do not recommend the huts in Lower Sabie. Cheap they may be, but the last time I stayed in them (granted over 10 years ago), they were musty and murky and cramped (the last likely did not change, but the 'musty and murky' might have been taken care of...)

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi ilovenationalparks,

Yes, half the fun is the planning and anticipation!

Contrary to what some responses have been, I have NEVER stayed in any of the "luxury" accommodation units in Kruger Park -- maybe as a child when they were affordable...

Reason: Too expensive!

If you are not too fussy, you can have a wonderful time at Lower Sabie in the huts (we love the EH2 huts -- very cute and NO bats the last few times we used them). I know there used to be a few 5-bed huts for bigger families at a very reasonable rate...

If you are only staying 4 nights, why move around so much? You miss half the first day (14h00 start) and half the last day (10h00 exit), so you actually only have 1 day in the camp if you stay for 2 nights. Repeat at Satara, and you actually really only relaxed 2/4 days... not worth it.

There is so much to do around Lower Sabie, a lovely pool for the kids, lots of place to play around, good game viewing along the river from the restaurant deck, picnic sites at Mlondozi, Nkuhle, Tshokwane... lovely drives to Crocodile Bridge, Skukuza, H10...

Do let us know what you have decided!

And if you ever go in December, choose Pretoriuskop for its amazing rockpool and shady surrounds to relax in during the heat of the day with the kids...

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

ilovenationalparks

Unread post by ilovenationalparks » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks Friedrich

Has anyone stayed in the EH5 huts recently? I wont really need to make use of the communal kitchen facilities as we would braai for the most part. I just want to know whether the huts are clean and comfortable and what the ablution facilities are like.

I must say that i have already fallen in love with the views from some of the bungalows.

I see the value of the staying in just one camp on such a short trip and there are many interesting routes to take from LS. However, part of me feels like I would be missing out if we didn't explore at least one other camp. So hard to decide :hmz:

My most recent, ever changing plan, was to enter the park very soon after the gates open and drive the approximate 4hrs to Satara. As we will enter the park early will will be able to take a leisurely drive to the camp and hopefully have some exciting sightings on the way. We will have some time to relax at the camp an then take a short afternoon drive before camp gate close. I was considering a guided sunset drive on day 2. On the morning of the day 3 we would drive to LS. We would spend most of our mornings driving anyway, so this wouldn't be 'wasted hours'. I was considering a sunrise drive on the morning of day 4. Any opinions?

Mcook

Unread post by Mcook » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:27 pm

The 5 beds huts are reasonable value for money. There are 4 of them, numbers 49, 54, 55, and 60 with 3 bed huts in between them, so slightly similar to dormitory style accommodation in the shape of a U. Unit 49 is my favourite as there’s nobody next to you (end of the U) and 60 has an FU5 next to it. 54 and 55 are in the middle of the U.

A boma is currently being built in front of the U, which will be a good asset for all if it rains because the huts have no veranda.

The ablutions could do with some care.

Beware of bats in the huts though as I have seen plenty in all of them

The BD3 units are great, especially if you book 2 as they are joined, therefore you will have the entire space, which I mention as the only down fall in my opinion is the close proximity of the unit’s braai area to each other, but you won’t have this problem as 2 units make a “building” if I’m making sense. (Provided they are allocated this way by sanparks, which I’m sure they will be under 1 reservation number) I think the best BD3 units are 17/18, 19/20 and 21/22

Will your kids sleep in their own unit

The FU4V units are 95 and 96 I think (pity there aren’t more of them) I have stayed in these also and they are very nice; however I find it almost impossible to get a booking

The last time I enquired about the tents no additions were permitted, even a small child, which is a pity

There is only 1 x FU5 left at Lower Sabie also, so for 4 or more in a family you don’t have much of a choice as there’s only 7 units which take 4 or more besides Keartland guest house

Shidzidzii
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Shidzidzii » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:45 pm

I can only recommend the spacious EH5 huts at Lower Sabie (like Meandering Mouse said). Perfect for a family with kids as the base rate is for 2 adults and you only pay children's additional rate for the kids and they are in the hut with you and not in a separate unit. Family units are scarce in all camps.
Only downside is that you need to walk to the communal bathrooms, but you will save big money for that.
Reserve them as soon as possible as they do get snapped up especially in peak times.

Shidzidzii
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Shidzidzii » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:51 pm

For a family - 2 adults and 3 children. Some comparisons.

Lower Sabie EH5 - R650 per night with communal facilities (note only Pretoriuskop has similar )
Lower Sabie FU5 - R1830 excellent alternative with own bathroom and kitchen
Lower Sabie FU4V - R1945 river view and self-contained. Fifth bed added by camp for child.
Taking 2 BD3U will cost R2210 (children will be alone in separate hut).

Taking a fantastic Guest Cottage in Satara or Orpen for arguments sake would be R2020 which is good value.

This is the dilemma facing larger parties about the vast amount of 2 bed bungaloes in Kruger and the short supply of family units.

Solution is to reserve family accomodation early to avoid taking the 2/3 bed bungaloes which are designed around couples.
We like the Guest Cottages over Christmas and New Year (special treat) and then take more economical Huts and Safari Tents between.

Joubie

lower sabie

Unread post by Joubie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:56 pm

We stayed in the EH5 during the June/July holidays last year and found them very good value for money, clean and comfortable. We enjoyed socializing and chatting to our neighbors in the communal kitchen, ablutions and braai area. The drives in that area are usually very rewarding.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Elephantears, have a look at Index to Best Unit Numbers
and if you look at the Map I think the ones on the left, old BG2U's are the new BD2U's and the ones on the right hand side are the BD3U's.
We are still waiting for the new map to be released.
Also have a look at some of the pics and comments in the Accommodation Photos
Hope this helps!
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Elsa

Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Guzz, apart from the ones you have mentioned there is the Mlondozi Picnic Site a very popular one with a lovely view.
Can get very busy during high season.

Skukuza is actually one of our favourites one as they are all quite private and you are surrounded by bush.
The do the gas with skottels.

Skukuza Day visitors Site

I must admit I haven't seen any gas braais at Croc Bridge but do know there are a few where you can make a fire in.

We often do a full day round trip from L.S up the H10 to Tshokwane picnic site and then back down the H1-2 across the high level bridge and down the H4-1 back to camp.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

suebfly

Unread post by suebfly » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:47 am

I am totally confused regarding the BD2U & BD3U cottages!! The photos are mostly out of date as they have renovated and I am still not sure which photos depict which cottage type. Which ones are the best? Firstly for views and secondly for outlay? Any clarification would be hugely appreciated. We have just stayed in one of the tents and until they renovate them I think I will give the BD2U or BD3U's a try. Has anyone posted recent photos on Roaneric's wonderful page?

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kite » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:25 am

There are photos on Roaneric's page.
The BD2U's give a living outdoor feel, with the kitchen on the veranda, close to the action at the braai!

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”