Skip to Content

Shipandani Overnight Hide

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Mischief
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Shipandani Overnight Hide

Unread post by Mischief » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:55 am

Snoobab thank you for the feedback.Always nice to hear about a practical experience.
:thumbs_up: Thank you for sharing
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:11 pm

Snoobab wrote:I stayed at the hide two weeks ago and what an experience. There were loads of Water Thick Knees everywhere. We saw both the White Backed and Black Crowned Night Herons with a lot of Green Backs in between. Animal wise it was a bit quiet but the experience of being out in the bush was unbelievable. It was full moon so didn't get as dark as it would normally but the quiet is dare I say deafening. We tried our best to stay awake all night but the eyes had other plans so we might have missed things in the middle of the night. It is amazing how quiet animals can be when they want to.
Anyway if you are thinking of staying there don't think just do it you wont regret it.

It sounds truly fantastic

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Snoobab » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:28 am

Some info on the hide to help other. I made my initial booking 29 Set - 7 Oct, 11 month prior like I always do, on the 1 Sept when making my final payment through central Res I inquired about the hide on the off chance and wow it was available so we made some changes to out booking and added the hide on, this was also during school hols so don't worry about thinking it needs to be booked a year in advance, that's not always the case.
On check in which you do at Mopani camp you are given a bunch of keys. One unlocks the toilet (it is porcelain with a seat but is a long drop with no flush - it was spotless clean with no smell at all) the other key unlocks the Braai area which consists of a braai, table and chairs for 6 people. You can't park your car within this enclosure so make sure you bring everything in you will need. In the hide itself is a cupboard with 4 mattresses and all the beds are also locked in their upright position, the keys open the cupboard and unlock the beds. If you are more than 4 people let them know when you book. At check in you pay a R300 refundable deposit that gives you bedding, 2 paraffin lamps (not for in the hide) and a Crockery & Cutlery box (plates, knives, forks, wine glasses etc). The bedding extra mattresses, lamps and box are all dropped off at the hide at around 6.30 pm by a ranger. Everything was spotlessly clean. Your one challenge is to be out the hide by 6am. There is a sign outside letting other visitors know they may not enter the hide before 6am. We packed everything up and locked it in the braai area. Mopani Receptions opens at 7am and on handing the keys back you get your R300 deposit back. You can take your own bedding and everything else if you want and then don't have to put a deposit down. I heard somewhere you can use the ablutions at Tsendze the next morning, we did not so not sure on this but maybe ask at Mopani.
All said and done it was an amazing experience and something I will never forget.
Sorry forgot to mention, there is no running water at the hide, with the R300 you also get a 50l water container with drinkable water or just take your own.
Last edited by Snoobab on Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks Snoobab, that is excellent information. :clap: :clap:

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”