Skip to Content

Building an itinerary around certain species?

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
BrawlerO

Building an itinerary around certain species?

Unread postby BrawlerO » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:51 pm

As I start to think about my next trip to KNP, I have been wondering about trying to maximise my chances of seeing certain animal species by staying in specific areas/camps. I know you still need a lot of luck to see some of the rarer Kruger inhabitants but surely making sure you are in the right kind of areas will help the odds a bit?

Wondering if anyone does this and how this affected their trip? I've been lucky enough to spend time in all regions from the far South to Pafuri so have a general overview of the park so am thinking about spending a lot more time in one area next time around. Really interested to get forumites views on this....
International Visitor from the UK

Elsa

Re: Building an itinerary around certain species?

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Brawler, I must say as a general rule, most will say the south is the place to be for general game, with the north for less traffic but more chance for the rarer species of antelope and birds.

You can have a read through North or South

Good denning season - wild dog numbers looking good

But have a look around the forum, go through the indexes and find the various topics that have great info regarding where/when etc.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

BrawlerO

Unread postby BrawlerO » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Thanks Elsa, I was considering P'Kop for the next trip so those links were useful.
I think my decision will also be affected by the time of year I go. I've never seen the park in winter time so that would be something new as well.
International Visitor from the UK

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:28 am

Brawler, I do like the southern areas in winter, as it does allow for great sightings.

Pretorius Kop is really lovely in winter, as it is not affected by the long grass that grows in other seasons. I also love to sit at dams and waterholes in winter. Pretorius Kop offers a lovely variety.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:33 am

Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

bushguy

Unread postby bushguy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:03 am

Brawler

What specific species are you looking for ? the obvious ones are tsesebe (sp?) and roan in the Mopani area, rhino in the south. Grysbok, above Shingwedzi. Sable we have had most luck with these between Talamati and tshokwane.(but PKop is also a hot spot). Looks like Skukuza/Lower Sabie /Croc Bridge is teaming with Wild dog at the moment (we saw 3 pack bigger than 20 , 3 weeks ago !)

I like PKop, but because we are not a "drive all day" family, it can get a bit tedious. Although I have family that had great sightings there (even with the long grass of summer) , I have never been very lucky. For me, if I were to spend a longer time in one place, I would look to Satara or Lower Sabie . Even though there are more people in these places, there are many roads, and lots of roads to get away from the crowds. In June (when I couldn't even get a camping spot at Skuk, so had to rely on my contacts in the admin complex) I saw 4 leopards in 24 hours , 3 of them completely to myself for over 20 mins each. The 4th was in a tree on the SKU-LS main road , which was obviously chaos.

Shingwedzi is also a great place for a longer stay (especially for birds), but one has to work much harder to tick the lions etc.

BG
Spring is sprung, Der grass is riz, I wonder where dem boidies is?
Der boids is on der wing,
Ain't dat absoid?
Der wings is on de boid!

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”