Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: Tambotie Tented Camp

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi Fatcat.

There are indeed plugs in the tents. I am not sure which tent you will be using, but I should think that the 20 metre extension should reach your car. Maybe take an extra one, just in case. The tents that I have stayed in, nos 6, 2, 10 and 11 have all had plugs close to the door next to the refrigerator.

There is a small secluded path between the parking and the tent, but I think the length of the path might differ from tent to tent. I do not think that it should be a problem though.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Jumbo

Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp

Unread post by Jumbo » Fri May 08, 2009 9:37 am

Seems in the excitement the size of the snake was somewhat over-judged....but a 1.2 meter Black Mamba is just as dangerous as a 3 meter one.
The snake was shot using a slingshot....very sad, :cry: but trust me, it is not a good idea to try and capture a Black Mamba that is cornered unless you have extensive snake handling experience...and one can also not expect others to put their lives on the line just because you do not want to see the snake killed.

Katja and nicolemeiring.....wishing you both a great visit :D ....apart from the snake scare my parents had a wonderful stay...I have to add that my parents have been attracting snakes during their holiday....3rd close encounter in 2 weeks :shock: .....Tamboti again delivered with the lions serenading them both nights... 8)

TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by TheunsH » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:52 am

We had 3 great nights in TAMBOTI (13,14 and 15 July 2009). We stayed in tent number 5. This is a 4 bed tent without a bathroom. It was wonderful. Herewith a few pictures of the tent:

A photo from the fence:

A view from the veranda:

The bird-hide:

A view from inside the bird-hide:

The fence of the camp from the gate. You can walk right around the camp on the inside!

A trap, without bait, to trap a dangerous animal in camp!

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:40 am

Hi mandiecandie5 and welcome to the forum

The communal kitchen provides hotwater, two plate cookers and washing up facilities. You will have to bring along any cooking utensils you might need if you are staying in the budget tents.

This is a beautiful camp you are going to love it. Hope you have a great time remember to tell us all about it :thumbs_up:
Rose

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by roaneric » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:34 pm

pics of our tent in tamboti...

Number 40

The bbq

Back Again
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

Elzet
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Elzet » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Dear Marge

We had a four-bed tent in July and previous years and it was marvelous. In my opinion the view is awesome anywhere and everywhere in Tamboti... even if it is just a piece of small riverbed that peeps through... as in the photo that Roaneric has kindly posted. The tents are relatively secluded, as their are trees/foliage in between. However, because the camp is so secluded, sound travels fax. :D :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: But we had well-behaved residents whilst we were there. No complaints. :thumbs_up:
“Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about those who don’t.” - Harvey MacKay

TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by TheunsH » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:23 pm

We have stayed in number 5 which was close to the fence. Numbers 1-6 are on the left hand side and not too close to the ablutions. :thumbs_up:

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Winny wrote:Hi,

I have booked the luxury tent with ramp access, I'm guessing it's number 33 looking at the camp map. Anyone know how good the view is from that tent?

I have previously stayed in one of the other LST3s, 37 I think.

Cheers,

Hi Winny - it's really very good. So much better than 32 next door. There are no large bushes or trees to obscure the view so you get a wonderful view of the riverbed.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Morkel777
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Morkel777 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Just spent 2 days in Tamboti, my 2nd time there and for sure not my last!

On our 2nd night we had a spotted genet visit us right by the braai - we stared at each other for about 20 minutes. All through that night the lions roared about 1km from the camp but it felt like it was in front of our tent! we still heard them when we woke up, and found the whole pride just outside the camp on the road - although they were moving across and disappeared quickly. We also found a serval on the sunset drive!

For those who haven't tried it - you're missing out. The silence, tranquility and serenity is awesome. More than enough comfort in the normal tents.
Planning the next trip already...

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:33 am

Marge wrote:You will have an awesome experience. All you will need to bring along is your food and refreshments. There is no shop or restaurant in this camp.
Orpen is 3km down the road for supplies during the day, so you will be fine.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

We always stay in the budget tents and have never yet been bitten or stung by anything, although did have a monkey come into our tent during the day when the door was open and we were having a rest.

He came to see what food he could steal! Don't know who got the bigger fright!

Oh yes that reminds me - keep everything, and I mean everything, either locked in the cupboards in the kitchen or in the tent. Include the bin in this as well. Both times we've stayed there we've surprised baboons on the deck, rumaging to see what they can find. The clever little blighters wait until you've gone for the day before descending to raid.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:19 pm

Elzet wrote:Hiya Floppi,

Welcome to the Forums and soon you shall savour our wonderful country's and best of all, a visit to the Park!

We normally remove our meat for the night during midday (if we are in camp) - and leave it on top of the fridge :roll: to defrost! :lol: :wink: Never been to one of the luxury tents, so I am not sure whether they are equipped with microwave ovens for defrosting purposes...

Vacuum packed red meat should not be a problem, even if you leave it outside all day... meat ripening... but best to remove the previous evening from the freezer and keep in the fridge till you need it the next night.

Enjoy! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don't leave any food out, inside or outside the tent - we left a packet of rice on top of the fridge one night and the next morning found little holes all over it where some creature had investigated. There are holes in all the tents that the squirrels and mice get in through.

There aren't any microwaves in the luxury tents.

iNkwazi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by iNkwazi » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Flutterby, we often stay in the safari tents at Lower Sabie around July. It isn't too cold, and remember that LS is on a river. You do need an extra blanket at night, but that just makes it cosier! :lol:

Also bear in mind that Kruger isn't too extreme - weather wise - in the winter.

Hope this helps.
It takes one tree to make 10,000 matches, but one match to burn 10,000 trees.

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi Fatcat
Tambotie is indeed fenced, as all camps, but it is very bushy, huge trees and the monkeys and baboons easily come into the camp.
When you drive or walk in the camp it feels like you are in the bush, most of the time you cannot see another tent or person because the bush was left natural and wild.
Here is a picture from the Tambotie camp website.

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:56 pm

I was in the tent no 32 few days ago.... with a big tree and a lot of bushes, but if no 33 is at my right side, when I'm in front of the dry river, if I rembermber correctely there is a good view and no stairs :mrgreen:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Mant

Unread post by Mant » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi,

The tent that has got the best view is number 40 :thumbs_up:

We stayed in number 39 last time but we were a bit disappointed because the view wasn't that great.

I hope they give us number 40 in March next year.

Samantha
Kruger
Biyamiti 25th - 28th March 2017

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”