inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:50 pm

HI,
we were there early may 2016

not particulary impressed.

we were in no 31 (so called premium - you get a loo) at the road junction near bothered by lots of noisy campers to the east....

will not return
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps..
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

Other TR's are 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:32 pm

Tamboti, together with Shingwedzi, are our favourite camps.

Last year we spent 7 nights at Tamboti in the non luxury tents Garethrix and just LOVED it.
I suffer from the heat and found the tents quite comfortable when you open all the flaps and put the fan on. During the heat of the day, we even turned the fan around so that it blew out onto the stoep, giving movement of air.
Tamboti has lots of trees and bush and we have found on our numerous visits, that most of the tents get a lot of shade.

I can imagine that any camp could have a noisy element at sometime or another and one just needs to address with management if it should occur. I think the Duty Managers telephone number for each camp is on the Entry/Exit Permit. We were at Tamboti on New Years Eve and found it very quiet.

We are there again this year from 29th - 31st December, so will just miss you, before moving off to Biyamiti.

Have a wonderful trip :dance:
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
Current: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
CURRENT TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:19 pm

We have stayed at Tamboti several times - always in the "luxury" tents - i.e. the ones with toilet, shower and hotplate for cooking. Too old and lazy for midnight treks to the loo!! We go out of "popular" times and have never experienced any noise at all while staying there.

On one trip I was on my own and at about 2 or 3 a.m. there was a huge noise and the tent literally shook. I "came to" quickly and grabbed my spotlight and rushed out onto the deck. There, in the dry river bed, were two huge beautiful lions - standing facing each other, about 6 feet apart, and both roaring. It was something I will remember for the rest of my life!

One problem with the situation of the camp is that for a while there is really only one road (the H7 tar road) to drive on, until one gets to the Rabelais loop and the road off that down to Talamati. The S36 and S39 Timbavati River road are further on and the S100 even further. I know people rave about the H7, but we have not had much luck - except once seeing the Timbavati coalition of 12 male lions (juvenile to full-maned adults) walking along the opposite bank of the river.

It is a very "different" camp, but we love it.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:00 pm

We were at Tamboti in December, and though it was hot, there was a huge thunderstorm in the night. Scared me spitless! (I live in the Cape... lol)

Never been TOO hot there -- worse at Lower Sabie in December...
ENjoy and God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

coxell

Unread post by coxell » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:44 am

Good day Mites, Has anyone stayed in the LST3 tents recently? I have booked into the CTT4 for 3 nights in late April 2017 (thanks Horrace for your reply to my original query)I wondered what condition they were in and if they are worth it having to paying the extra R 780 a night to be in the LST3 tents?

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leaping Lizards » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi coxell

It is difficult to say if it is worth the R780 extra, because different people value different things. We have stayed in both, and enjoy both, but would gladly pay the extra for LST3.

It’s more than just a bathroom and hotplate. There is a dressing room section, the bathroom and shower area is quite big and there is a net covering over the bathroom that, in the morning sunlight, shines into the shower for a morning sunshine shower. (Not sure if all units)

Regards
August/September - Sirheni, Letaba, Talamati and Satara :P

garethrix

Unread post by garethrix » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks everyone for the messages, really looking forward to my trip now. Appreciate everyone's input :)

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”