Skip to Content

Balule Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
DinkyBird

Re: Balule Satellite Camp

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:21 am

K1786, I am the wrong person to ask about Kittys!! :redface: Somehow they also hide from me on some trips.

Balule is in a good area for cats though - either way you drive, to Olifants, the stunning drive to Timbavati (S39) , or down to Satara, you are in cat territory. Holding thumbs for superb sightings!

Tessa G
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tessa G » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:51 am

Thanks for the non electric fan advice Kallis1786, that will be right at the top of my to buy list because Balule has now become a Bucket List entry :D

Balule and all the way down to Satara area is an area we have seen many cats, particularly H7 from Satara to Orpen...we have seen lion, leopard and cheetah. Nsemani Dam and surrounds has always been a :thumbs_up: lion area for us.
As DB says S36 Timbavati Road from Balule is an excellent choice.
Also near Kumana Dam on the H1.3
Hope you find them, good luck :thumbs_up: and keep them in the area for us, :lol: we arrive in the park 15/12 :thumbs_up:

We have also seen leopard, coming from Letaba, before you get to the first sight of the Olifants river you have the rocky hills of Shamiriri. There is a leopard that loves to lie up there....listen out for the baboons barking. :D

Our best cat sightings have usually been very early morning.
Dec 2016/Jan 2017 - Shingwedzi, Letaba, Olifants, Tamboti, Biyamiti
CURRENT TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

TR: 11 DAYS BACK HOME IN KRUGER WITH TESSA AND DAVE 2014/2015

DinkyBird

Re: Where to check in for Balule?

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi SerenitySeeker - you can only check in at Olifants, or Satara. Satara, obviously will not be an option for you, so you need to go to Olifants. The bridge is open (and hopefully will not flood between now and your visit); so you need to skip Letaba camp, and head to Olifants on the tar road, check in and then to Balule taking the turn left coming from camp onto the S92. It is about 10km from Olifants to Balule. How late do you expect to get to Phalaborwa gate?

SerenitySeeker

Unread postby SerenitySeeker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:58 pm

Many thanks for the specific replies: I browsed the last 3 pages of the Balule thread, and didn't find answers (yet).

The visitor info I received with my reservation says we can check in for Balule "at any of the major camps (preferably Satara or Olifants Camp)", so it seems Letaba would work, too? :hmz:

I'm hoping to arrive at Phalaborwa Gate between 2 and 3 pm. We're coming from the West Rand (Krugersdorp area), with two 6-year-olds. The minimum travel time info (also received with reservation) says 2 hours to Balule from the Gate, and the camp closes at 18h30, so it seems I'm okay on timing? :hmz:

Many thanks for your advice and assistance! :)

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:04 pm

I also have a reservation for Balule and it says either Olifants or Satara, so things must have changed since I booked. Nothing to loose if you stop at Letaba as it is only 1km off the beaten track, and with 2 6yr olds, you will want a stop I am sure.

I would allow for 3-4 hours travel time, especially if you are going to do animal spotting.

If you check in at Letaba, then do not go via Olifants turn off, but turn left onto the S91 for Balule.

SerenitySeeker

Unread postby SerenitySeeker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks, Dalene! My reservation info is dated 28 September.

Given the choice, which would be quicker: check-in at Letaba or Olifants, and then on to Balule?

Kind regards,
Russell

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:19 pm

Definitely Letaba - when you get to the cross roads, about 50km on the tar from the gate, you have 1km to the camp (and then back). Olifants is 8km from the turn off on the tar road to the camp and add to that 10km to Balule, which is only an extra 9km to Balule via the S91 - a difference of 9km, which is actually a fair bit at the speeds you have to drive.

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kallis1786 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi SS

I also did some research on Balule. I booked my accommodation last week and it says I can check in at Satara or Olifants, but I went on the Balue Camp Page on this website, and it says check in can be done at Letaba, Olifants, Orpen or Satara

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/camps/balule/tourism/accommodation.php But I personally feel its better if you check in at Olifants just to avoid disappointment, and just to make sure you are more on track of time, I personally feel Olifants would be better, because by being at Olifants, you know your camp is only 10kms away, so you have more of an idea on how long you have got with sightings.

but that is just my opinion. At the end is upto you. Enjoy :D :dance: :dance: :dance:

If you see cats, please keep them there for me :pray: :pray: :pray:

leervis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby leervis » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:26 am

I have always used Olifant's to check in for Balule. It works very well and the staff at Olifant's are great. If you only get to Phalaborwa at 3pm, you will be fine to get to Olifant's - Balule in time, I estimate 2 - 3 hours max, but don't stop too long at the leopards - lions etc. on the way. A portable fan, at that time of the year is a really good idea. We use one that can be recharged in the car as we do our day drives. Balule is my favourite camp by far. It has a great location as you can drive North - West or South East. Titus, the camp manager is super-good at his job, he has been at Balule for more than 25 years! We have seen Leopard, Lion, Cheetah and Wild Dogs in the area and most nights the Hyenas patrol the fence hoping for scraps. I am not sure if you will be in the rondavels or camping, but either way you are sure to have a great time.
10 -13 May Berg en Dal Camping
14 May Lower Sabie Chalet
15 - 18 Pretoriuskop Camping
19 May Satara Chalet
20 - 24 May Balule Camping

Lesley Nyawo
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesley Nyawo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:34 am

kallis1786 wrote:Hi everyone.

Just a quick question. I don't know if it has been asked. Are we as guest at Balule allowed to use the pool at Olifants, or is it strictly for Olifant residents.

Guest staying at Balule are allowed to use the pool at Olifants Camp.
Lesley Nyawo
Public Relations Assistant
Tel: 013 735 4358
Email: lesley.nyawo@sanparks.org..

Lesley Nyawo
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesley Nyawo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:54 am

kallis1786 wrote:Hi everyone

Just a another quick question.

The huts at Balule, are they locked? if yes, from where do we collect the keys since check in can be done at any major camp.

Depending on which gates guests use, they can either Check in at Satara or Olifants Camps, thereafter proceed to Balule to collect their keys.

Regards
Lesley Nyawo

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RemiE » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:38 pm

Good day Lesley
:yaya:

I would like to know if overnight visitors to Balule would also be allowed to make use of the swimming pool in Satara.

We intend checking in at Satara and also to drive the roads between Balule and Satara during our stay there as we would lunch at the restaurant at Satara

Kind regards
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
Next KNP Visit: 28 February 2016 - 10 March 2016
28,29,01 Crocodile Bridge 02,03,04 Letaba 05,06 Balule 07,08,09,10 Phabeni Gate
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Lesley Nyawo
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Lesley Nyawo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:08 pm

Dear RemiE

You are most welcome to visit the Swimming Pool at Satara or Olifants as an overnight guest at Balule.

Regards
Lesley Nyawo

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Pics taken last week. Since the last flood, and with the drought, one can now see the river from the camp - lovely to watch Fish Eagles flying up and down ...

IMG_2222.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

IMG_2221.JPG

manicwalker
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby manicwalker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:25 am