Skip to Content

Balule Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Balule question

Unread post by tent dweller » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:46 am

Over Dec 2014, we stayed in hut number 6, right on the fence, it was more than amazing, on our last night a breeding herd of ellies were grazing along the fence, they were so close that we could smell them and see every detail of them, my hubby always says that this was our best ever elephant sighting ever :D :D
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Lepardfan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:14 am

I will not add any other advice to that that has been given already.

But be assured, you will want to come back to Balule again and again. It is just such a wonderful camp, by far one of our most favorite camps in Kruger. :mrgreen: The camp definitely gives one the feeling of what Kruger used to be many years ago.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. :thumbs_up:
Balule 29-30 June. :mrgreen:
Lower Sabie 1-2 July. :mrgreen:

Glory to God.

One day closer to my next visit

roaneric
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by roaneric » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:20 am

Thanks so much for the advise everyone

Now I just CAN'T wait. :dance: :dance: :dance: We will check in at Olifants and then drive strait to Balule. Keep your thumbs crossed that the bridge will be open by the 28th of April. :pray:

Lepardfan wrote: But be assured, you will want to come back to Balule again and again.

That's why I want to be there as early as possible and leave as late as possible the next morning so that we can experience everything Balule has to offer us.
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

leervis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Balule Satellite Camp

Unread post by leervis » Fri May 15, 2015 8:23 am

Another reason for visiting Balule, as if we need another, they never have loadshedding at Balule!
13 January Letaba
14 - 16 January Balule
17 January Tsendze
18 - 20 January Punda Maria

18 - 23 May '17 Balule

leervis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by leervis » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Just had another 4 nights at this wonderful camp. So pleased that we will be back soon. Titus is amazing keeping all in ship shape. Having the bridge open is also great. Got to be my fav. camp so far.
13 January Letaba
14 - 16 January Balule
17 January Tsendze
18 - 20 January Punda Maria

18 - 23 May '17 Balule

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Re: Balule satelite camp :)

Unread post by Philip1 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:56 pm

NatureLover12 wrote:Hey everyone :o we are visiting Balule camp in the Kruger in October and I have never been to that camp so I am very excited :D :dance: I would like to know how is the game viewing in that area and aswell how the campis beacause I heard there is no electricity there! So I would just like to know what to expect :think: We are sleeping in one of the huts there! Really excited :tongue:

NatureLover12, well, if you love nature, you are going to the right place. :mrgreen:
Game viewing anywhere, is "at that moment". (I think). The roads S89, S90, S91and S92 were enjoyable to us and we saw a variety of game (Lions etc.), plus kills. :)

Every night the staff will lite a lantern for you. There are communal kitchens, Deep freezers and boiling water for tea or coffee etc. all the time plus Braai area in front of your "hut".

You will not be sorry. :)

We used to sit and watch Hyena and other game patrolling the fence. :thumbs_up:
Staff...Magic. :whistle:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:38 am

It is indeed a rustic camp and, now that the bridge over the Olifants is open again, even better than before. The rare Pels Fishing Owl is sometimes sighted in the area and I enjoy the winding, gravel roads as you never know what turn will yield a sudden surprise. The views across the river at various points are spectacular. A different experience that I have always loved. I have seldom had a game drought in the area and can remember some wonderful sightings over the years.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kallis1786 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:23 am

Hi Everyone :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

Its been long since I visited the forums, but I will be going to Kruger to spend Christmas there and will be spending the night in Balule and Croc Bridge.

I am not a very huge fan of camping and hence opted for the huts at Balule, Since there will be no power in the huts, I got a question to ask, how do you charge the phones, the cameras etc.

I have got an battery operated fan which I bought from CUM during Load Shedding times which should hopefully manage to get me some sleep.

But am thinking how do I manage to keep my cameras charged for 2 days??? :redface: :roll:

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:28 am

I suggest you investigate, and invest in car charges. For phones and tablets that is not a problem, not sure about your camera batteries. We have an inverter - but if you do consider buying one, ensure you get good advise on what type of inverter to buy. Be specific in your needs; ie that it will even work with laptops.

Or - do as I have done, have a picnic at Olifants day visitors site, and while there plug into the electricity in the kitchen there.
Sawubona
Dalene

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kallis1786 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:33 pm

Thank You so much :gflower:

I will definitely keep that in mind. I'll stop at Olifants Day Visitors sight. Seems Like a good option.

Besides that it should be an adventure and an experience :dance: :dance: :dance:

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:10 pm

I have a question... :D

I have for many years wanted to stay in a hut at Balule, but the only time of the year we can get away from our own business is December/January, which is obviously very hot....so here is my question....HOW do people do it, in huts with no fans? :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

The whole atmosphere of the camp attracts me, I am sure I could even cope with the huts not having windows, because I believe you get a draft through the gap between the wall and the thatch, but the heat at that time of year sounds like a real challenge :hmz: :hmz:
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Talamati, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
TR: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Tessa, being next to the river, I do think Balule is probably a little cooler than other camps.

However, a 'little cooler' to extreme heat is not really helpful :lol:

We take spray bottles of water and spray ourselves, and then fan ourselves with a little battery fan. Very cooling ... as long as one can fall asleep then as the night cools, you are more comfortable. Camping has taught us to be very resourceful regarding the heat. I have read many tips - one being taking a cotton sarong and wetting that to lie under; but I still think a plastic spray bottle from a supermarket/plastic shop, and some sort of fan will do the trick.

Balule is really magical, worth getting overheated for ;)
Sawubona
Dalene

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks DB. We have to give it a go. I have just read this thread from Page 1 and I can see how loved it is and so very special.

I have only been a Krugerholic since Dave introduced me to it 20yrs ago, so of course have never experienced that really old Kruger feel and this camp with its old world charm just really appeals.

Ok :thumbs_up: next trip its a done deal. Unfortunately (fortunately :wink: ) we will be visiting our kids and grandies in UK December 2016, but who says we cant start planning for 2017!! :lol: :lol:
Dec 16 - Letaba, Shingwedzi, Olifants, Tamboti, Talamati, Biyamiti, Berg n Dal
TR: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kallis1786 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:01 am

Hi Tessa

I was also worried about the heat but managed to find a really good fan from a camping store which I bought during the load shedding era, and it works wonders, and as DB said its all about falling asleep, after that you should not have many problems.

By the way DB, by the looks of things you know the camp very well. What are the chances of me ending my kitty drought, because this entire year I have not seen a single kitty :redface: :shock: :wall: , but have seen lots and lots of Wild Dogs :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

So this trip I booked after coming back from Punda on Sunday again without seeing a cat :hmz: :hmz: :hmz: , so needed to book a quick trip, in order to have cats in the album of 2015 :pray: :pray: :pray: , I just hope I get to see even an ear flick at this moment in time :pray: :pray: :pray:

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:21 am

K1786, I am the wrong person to ask about Kittys!! :redface: Somehow they also hide from me on some trips.

Balule is in a good area for cats though - either way you drive, to Olifants, the stunning drive to Timbavati (S39) , or down to Satara, you are in cat territory. Holding thumbs for superb sightings!
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”