Skip to Content

Pregnant Hyena at Satara

Discuss the Orpen (KNP), Satara (KNP), Addo and Nossob (KTP) webcams
gillandave

Pregnant Hyena at Satara

Unread post by gillandave » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:06 am

Hi,

Did anyone notice the pregant hyena at Satara waterhole yesterday (14th October) morning? She was at the pool between 08.19 -08.32. First of all she had a drink, then she stepped into the water. After a while she sat down, immersing herself. Finally she stood again, for a long while, head down.

I am sure she was in labour (She certainly looks pregnant). I believe hyenas have a particularly hard time giving birth because they have evolved almost unisex gentitalia.

Am I being too far-fetched to think that instinctively she is opting for a "water-birth?"

Comments welcome, as I was fascinated: this was one time when I really wished there was a streaming camera!

Gillandave.

Lionspoon
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Pregnant Hyena at Satara

Unread post by Lionspoon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:18 am

Hi gillandave! A warm welcome to the forum and the webcams! Although you're not a newbie on the latter anymore. I noticed you've been watching the cams for some time now, as I regularly see your name come up at the bottom where the 'Latest on ... Cam' is shown. :clap:

Have a look here. You'll find the hyena returned later again to get into the water again. I saw her in the afternoon as well, but only a glimpse on the left side of the cam, not worth posting. :?

I also remember we were able to observe the same phenomenon last year. I'll try to find the link and post it here as well.
Summer 2014 - Oz! It was awesome!

Lionspoon
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Lionspoon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:27 am

And from February this year: Link
Summer 2014 - Oz! It was awesome!

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:32 am

gillandave wrote:Am I being too far-fetched to think that instinctively she is opting for a "water-birth?"

Exactly what I thought at the time, Gillandave :D
Great to have you here :thumbs_up:
aquila non capit muscas

gillandave

Unread post by gillandave » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks for that quick response!

I shall add your pics to mine, as I think this is a very special series. Your pics confirm for me, what appears to be happening. My daughter is a midwife and I can hardly wait to show her the pics. Sorry for the rather odd typo / spelling mistakes, but I was so excited....

I could watch all day - but I have to get on with my work. We have just returned to UK after 4 weeks in SA (KNP 8 days, H-U 5 days & several days is Swazi parks) so I hope to contribute to some other topics.

Best Wishes
Gillandave

Jungle Junkie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jungle Junkie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Interesting -

Sometime in the last year (maybe Feb) at SAtara there was a pregnant female Hyaena and while she was in the water a male mated with her! It was at night, that I can remember.
Matthys and I commented on it at the time - but where the pictures could possibly be???
I am two with nature ~ Woody Allen ~

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

gillandave

Unread post by gillandave » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:06 pm

I have a new fascination with this low profile animal! We have seen two very young hyena pups (fur was still curly), fending for themselves (KNP2005);

This year we were horrified to find hyenas habituated to being fed by idiots, through the fence, in 3 camps (KNP). They would turn up at sundown and just patrol, expectantly: our neighbours, equipped with flood lights and IR lamps, made no secret of what they were doing. A member of the camp staff told us the hyena had 3 pups - we didn't see them, but if they learn from the mum (did she really deliver 3?), then they become habituated from birth. It will only take one child to be mauled by an hyena, and they will end up having to be destroyed. We did tell the Park staff about the feeding, but that particular family moved on that day.

Perhaps the warning sign could be expanded to explain in simple language the problem people cause by feeding the hyenas.

I haven't seen the webcam hyena today at all.

Gillandave

Jungle Junkie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jungle Junkie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:24 pm

gillandave wrote:I haven't seen the webcam hyena today at all.

Early this morning behind the rain :D

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:25 am

I think she is back, Gillandave ?

aquila non capit muscas

barcelona

Unread post by barcelona » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:48 pm

Hey guys;

I worry our little hyena friend might not be well....I am sure you can all agree with me that regardless of the temperature of the water, it is very strange behavior for a hyena to be laying in the hot midday sun with probably a ton of humans watching her from the fence....
That being said, she has moved on... :hmz:
Join me on my Maun, Botswana adventure!
http://maunbotswanaadventure.blogspot.com/

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:56 pm

riekietiek wrote:Hi, I am also monitor her the whole morning. I agree with you that it looks the hiena is in labour. Seems she's getting very hot, in and out of water the whole day. Hope onde of the rangers will be able to tell if we were right. I would like to know whether she had cups or not.

Riekie Nel

Hi and warm welcome to the forums, Riekie :D .

I hope with you and Barcelona and all concerned, that we will learn more abour 'our' hyena's behaviour :thumbs_up:
aquila non capit muscas

Jungle Junkie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jungle Junkie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi All
"Buffalofreak" was at Satara this last week and has posted in the daily thread, that the Hyaena has had her pups already..

but People are feeding her through the fence :rtm: - Kebabs on sticks :big_eyes: Hope this is not making her sick and has got stuck in her gullet or stomach :clap:

Buffalofreak

Unread post by Buffalofreak » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:25 am

Jungle Junkie wrote:This could be them :D from the 14th, she still looks pregnant, so must be same one :thumbs_up:

12. Hyaena with two pups!

Yep, that's my "Fluffy" and her kids "Fang" and "Norbert". :) I have been following "Fluffy" on the webcams since 2009 and then followed up with a visit to Satara. This year I was waiting for her on my 1st night back at Satara (13.10) and she did not dissapoint me. You'll find her patrolling the fence every night from about 18:00 and the two small ones are patrolling with her now. "Fang" is a good beggar, lies down in front of the fence like a dog and look at you with a sorry face. The two small ones are still very fluffy and have dark spots. My immediate impression was that she is pregnant but my friend, who is a qualified PH, said that she's had her cubs already. So I go with what he says, he knows better than me. During our time in the Kruger it was only hot on Wednesday and from Thursday onwards it was cloudy and cool with a horrible wind. I don't reckon she took a swim as result of the weather but she is a regular swimmer. Only had sleet rain on Friday but nothing substantial. I've booked for April 2011 and will go check up on her again :dance: December 2010 is fully booked, tried to get in but to no avail :cry:

Charming1

Unread post by Charming1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:21 am

Thank you for the update. I also had a giggle at the wallowing in the water yesterday! Satara is my favourite camp.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:28 am

And the three images from BF, before they are gone:

Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Return to “Webcams”