Skip to Content

Webcam etiquette - review 2011

Discuss the Orpen (KNP), Satara (KNP), Addo and Nossob (KTP) webcams
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:14 am

Dear Cammers/Forumites,

As indicated by the responses here we need to review Webcam etiquette.
Please read through the existing Webcam etiquette - a guide and indicate whether you are happy with what we have there.
Please also discuss/suggest any other issues that you think should be added to the 2011 review.

Discussions/suggestions will be open for 2 weeks before proceeding with the actual review.
(Discussion/previous review to be found here. )
aquila non capit muscas

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:23 pm

* Only rare - unusual/exeptional/unique - sightings should be posted @ Cam Highlights
( Orpen Cam Highlights, Satara Cam Highlights, Nossob Cam Highlights ).
(74% voted in favour)

Hello to all the cammers and thanks to all for your contributions in whatever small way. :gflower:

OK, I will start this discussion off by requesting that Addo Cam Highlights be added to the above list.

Kibo is very sad :cry: that Addo is not on the list. I did explain to her that this list was drawn up before the Addo Web cam was installed. :wink:
Ronnie

For "Addo Park Experiences" go to:- HERE

MATTHYS

Re: Webcam etiquette - review

Unread post by MATTHYS » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Ooops ! :redface:
Thanks and sorry, Ronnie !
Will add Addo straightaway and am also moving your and my posts to the 2011 review :thumbs_up:
aquila non capit muscas

Lionspoon
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Webcam etiquette - review 2011

Unread post by Lionspoon » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Ronnie, that is a VERY sensible suggestion for improvement. :lol: :thumbs_up:

Okay, my 2 cents worth:

* Only rare - unusual/exeptional/unique - sightings should be posted @ Cam Highlights

Definitely a :thumbs_up:

* All forum members can post @Cam Highlights and credit should be given to the original poster of the sighting.

To me it doesn't matter who actually posts on highlights, but I would find it extremely considerate to mention all other viewers at such a sighting - active cammers or not - as well.

* Pics should be posted in the daily sighting threads before being posted @Cam Highlights.
:thumbs_up:
Although this usually happens anyway. If at all it's newbies who are not familiar with the way of doing things yet. But once one gets the hang of it, this is past anyway.

* Up to a maximum of 4 pictures (posted below each other) should be posted, per post/frame.
This one is difficult. On the one hand I think less pictures in one post would allow more participation from various cammers and the page might open quicker for those with slower connections with a max. of 14 camshots per page, on the other hand it's annoying to start a new post for each frame and it let's your postcount skyrocket.

* The Cam Chit Chat thread to be restricted to webcam discussions.

I plead guilty for not obeying this guideline. :redface: But I do think that the cam chat is a great way of bonding among the active cammers but also between the active cammers and those who appreciate the cams but don't post pictures themselves. Luckily, it wasn't enforced too much and we all got away with it. :k

I myself vote for NOT restricting the talk to cam discussion only. :whistle:

* Short on topic/ID discussions may take place in the daily sightings thread.

:thumbs_up: Has worked rather well and actually it's Matthys who might want to make the call here, as she has to clean up after us. :twisted:

* The amount of pictures of the same animal should not be limited.

:thumbs_up: Common sense is all it takes. And sometimes you just cannot refrain from posting lots of shots because you find so many interesting / beautiful / cute / hilarious / ...

One thing that is not on the list, but we have discussed in similar ways before: I'd like to see a kind of restriction with posts that you are allowed to shoot off within a certain time frame. I think one post per minute should be the max. Like that others have the chance to join in as well.

Done for the moment. :wink:
Summer 2014 - Oz! It was awesome!

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Thank you, LS 8)

Lionspoon wrote:One thing that is not on the list

"Not on the list" issues are just as important as those already listed.
We are doing this review to improve the management of the webcam forum and to make the webcam forums fun for ALL.
aquila non capit muscas

vinkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa

Unread post by vinkie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:47 pm

( Orpen Cam Highlights, Satara Cam Highlights, Nossob Cam Highlights, Addo Cam Highlights ).

I agree on this point but what is rare, unusual/exceptional and unique? :hmz:

* All forum members can post @Cam Highlights and credit should be given to the original poster of the sighting .

I agree, like Lionspoon said also include the other posters and some of the Highlight posters if you can see who they are. :D

* Pics should be posted in the daily sighting threads before being posted @Cam Highlights.

I agree, no argument about this one. 8)

* Up to a maximum of 4 pictures (posted below each other) should be posted, per post/frame.

I agree, but sometimes one post is enough when there are a lot of posters….or else you will get lots of double posts

I don’t agree, I think that this is a place to meet other formites who are interested in the webcams and Sanparks, and also to discuss the cams. :D

I agree, this already happens quite often.

I’m not completely sure about this one, it depends on the animal….I don’t agree

* Not voted on but included :

Double postings are removed by the mods once per day and it would be appreciated if the posters would remove or edit double posts by replacing the pic with a smiley ( doubles are easier to spot this way). This is a request and not a rule.

Is it possible to change the settings so we can delete our post if somebody else has posted it already? Most of the time it’s not possible to delete a post when somebody has replied to a topic. :pray:
Live life on the edge but be careful not to fall off! :wink:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

:dance: Planning our 2018 trip to Kruger National Park or Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park :dance:

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks, Vinkie :D
vinkie wrote:Is it possible to change the settings so we can delete our post if somebody else has posted it already? Most of the time it’s not possible to delete a post when somebody has replied to a topic. :pray:

Unfortunately not possible to change the settings this way but, you could just
edit double posts by replacing the pic with a smiley
It is better to edit by replacing with a smiley, rather than edit by replacing with another pic as this sometimes result in more, unintentional, double posts.
aquila non capit muscas

PJL
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator - Antelope Award (2016)
Award: Travel tale of the Year - Smaller Parks - Small Parks Campfire Award (2016)

Unread post by PJL » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:01 pm

I agree with what people have said already... the Cam Chit-Chat should allow for more than just chat about the cams. After all, that's chit-chat :D Obviously it shouldn't go too much off-topic, but I don't think it has so far :thumbs_up:

The highlights thread is an interesting one. As Vinkie says, what actually constitutes a highlight? Often it seems it is down to personal preference, so perhaps some slightly clearer guidelines could be agreed upon?

One thought I had was perhaps we could have another thread for highlights driven from the YFS thread (e.g. "Satara Favourite Highlights"). I don't want to add unnecessary work for people :naughty: , but often the winners on YFS are the ones that probably should be in a highlight thread.

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Thank you, PJL !
aquila non capit muscas

melph68
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by melph68 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:27 am

Hi Matthys :D

I too am in general agreement with the current guidelines, but would just like to make mention of the key element of webcam etiquette - consideration :thumbs_up:

It's not about who has the fastest internet and who can post the most pics, it's about sharing a sighting. If an animal shows up I post a pic, keep saving the other images to my computer, and wait a little while to see if anyone else is trying to join in. If they are then I try to alternate my posts between the other cammers. If no-one else is online at the same time though, I think it is fine to post away merrily.

Also, I like having a bit of friendly banter with other mites on the chit-chat thread, and for the most part, I don't think we stray too far from webcam topics? :whistle: As Lionspoon said, it's a nice way to bond with our fellow cam-addictees :wink: Short on topic/ID discussions in the daily sightings thread are fine by me too!

And basically, as it says in the etiquette guide, we are all here to have fun and enjoy the cam experience. I'm no saint and we all slip up occasionally, but as long as we try to be considerate, the cams will keep being a really fun place to spend time.

We are very privileged to have this little window into the lives of the animals we all love so much 8) 8) 8)

Happy camming everyone!! :D :D
March 2012
Kruger, Karoo, Addo

haileyidaho
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by haileyidaho » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:28 am

Hi Lovely Cammers,
Just a couple of thoughts,

This bears review. If one is pressed for time (and who isn't?), going directly to the highlights thread has advantages. Seeing it cluttered with ordinary, even blurry, ordinary saves, defeats the purpose. Yes, seeing any African animal at a water hole from half-way 'round the globe in nearly real time is never ordinary, but you all know what I mean :D :D

I like LS's comment here, "common sense should prevail." :thumbs_up:

:popcorn: Hailey
NOVEMBER 2013
Augrabies KTP
Rooiputs, MataMata, Polenswa
Sizatswe, Swart Pan, Kaa
Mapaya, Mabua, Mosimane

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi and thank you, Mel and Hailey ! :D
aquila non capit muscas

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:46 pm

:thumbs_up: Lionspoon... your resume is very usefull to (for) me... to understand... thank you :gflower:
and of course all the following posts :D
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Toko
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Toko » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:33 pm

:thumbs_up: but also usual sightings if it is a great camshot (close-up or amazing pic)
I am not sure, if half a blurred leopard should be a highlight or an unusual animal that you cannot see because it's dark and in a distance :hmz:

* All forum members can post @Cam Highlights and credit should be given to the original poster of the sighting .
:thumbs_up: all members should post
:cry: to mention the original poster and all the other who have been online (you never know) is time consuming and at the end it does not matter who has posted or seen it
:D Who ever posts a highlight should post the best camshot and not that one posted by him/herself on the normal thread before

:thumbs_up: Please wait until posting, you never know if there will be a better camshot

:cry: we have the other cam topics for discussion, let's do chit chat here

:thumbs_up: and please don't delete the succesful ID's when cleaning, Matthys

:thumbs_up:

AND:

We have from time to time some discussion on the forum and behind the scenes about participation on the postings and there a some of us who don't like if others post very quickly pics in row. So please let's have a voting on this :pray:
I don't mind if a cammer is posting in a row, as I think it is not a competition and it does not matter who posts. But others might get angry about it. So what about this one: Post only one pic and then wait at least 5 minutes until going on. That's perhaps the time, somebody needs to open a hosting account, upload etc. This could involve a lot of mites.
I am not sure if I like the idea myself, because you will safe a lot of pics and then you will delete them.

AND:
When asking for ID, the result should be posted via edit on the daily sightings thread under the pic. Would be interesting and useful :hmz:

:D :D :D

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks, Toko :D
aquila non capit muscas

Return to “Webcams”