Skip to Content

Unusual sightings in and around Gauteng

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unusual sightings in and around Gauteng

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:46 am

I have a colleague who is quite a keen birder.

She lives in Juckskei Park on a fairly large stand. Juckskei Park has a large number of trees and a climate between that experienced in J'burg and the slightly more humid Pretoria.

She has a pecan tree that attracts a large number of interesting birds. Her regulars are Ring necked parrots, now feral to the area.

She has recently been visited by European Bee-eaters. She has also seen African harrier hawks. The most recent unusual sighting has been a pair of Brown headed parrots. She was extremely confused as this is completely out of their usual territory.

She phoned Bird Life Africa and they suggested that it might be an escaped Senegal parrot, but she is not convinced.

I wonder if anyone can comment on this and whether there are other similar sightings of birds, possibly moving north due to global warming.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

addictedToBirds
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Unusual sightings in and around Gauteng

Unread post by addictedToBirds » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:09 pm

Almost certainly an escapee of some kind whatever the species.

Here is the distribution map for the Brown-Headed Parrot which is pretty much confined to Kruger in South Africa (http://sabap2.adu.org.za/species_info.php?spp=328#menu_left). The single sighting in Pretoria is in all likelihood an escapee as well

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:41 am

Thank you very much for your response. Much appreciated.

Has there been more sightings of the European Bee-eater lately? I saw another person who wrote about seeing one in her garden in the Pretoria area.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:12 am

Hi MM,

European Bee-Eaters are very common in Gauteng, especially over this period when they bulk up before heading back north.

As for the Parrots. One will have to take some photos of it to establish exactly what species they are. They are, as already mentioned, most likely escapees, but one never knows. Having had Dimorphic Egret on the Jukskei river a few years ago, as well as Pectoral and Green Sandpipers and seeing a dead Verreaux's Eagle-Owl on the N1 in the Buccleuch interchange makes one wonder what exactly is hiding along the Jukskei river. It is an amazing eco-system with gorgeous old riverine trees and I think we would be surprised at what else lurks along it.
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”