Skip to Content

Quail, Harlequin

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Quail, Harlequin

Unread post by wildtuinman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:33 am

A common visitor to Kruger's grasslands under good conditions. More often heard than seen, but early morning drives along the S90 should produce a sighting.

Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)

Re: Quail, Harlequin

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:02 am

The movements of Harlequin quail are influenced by rainfall with birds moving south in the rainy season to breed. The conditions around Satara Rest Camp must have been at an optimum this year. I found both Harlequin quail Kurrichane buttonquail in large numbers, often still with chicks in tow.

Some freshly burnt veld to the south of the H6 contributed to make these skulking species more evident than normal. Being very early and with low light, getting the balance right between ISO, DoF and shutter speed was a bit of a lottery. One could chase the ISO setting very high, but then you loose quality. Because they tend to “freeze” when their space is encroached, I decided to shoot at ISO 800 and 1/30th of a second with my camera supported by a large, sturdy bean bag, hoping for a little luck in getting no movement or shake… a tough call; I only managed one decent shot of a female bird.

Interestingly, quails do their migration at night.

They are omnivores that eat invertebrates, various seeds and shoots, doing most of their foraging beneath cover, or occasionally on the edges of roads and tracks.
727 Latest lifers: Hartlaub's babbler, Chirping cisticola, Coppery-tailed coucal, Red-billed spurfowl, White-browed coucal, Scharlow's turaco, Copper sunbird, Long-toed lapwing, Eastern bronze-naped pigeon, Malagasy pond heron, Soft-plumaged petrel.

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Quail, Harlequin

Unread post by hilda » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Beautiful picture Johan! :clap: :clap:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela.

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”